Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Summing over specific lines and replacing the lines with the sum Post 302666627 by kaaliakahn on Thursday 5th of July 2012 12:48:08 AM
Old 07-05-2012
Summing over specific lines and replacing the lines with the sum

Hi friends,

This is sed & awk type question. It is slightly different from my previous question.

I have a text file which has numbers spread all over the file. I want to sum the series of numbers (but no more than 10 numbers in series) whenever i find it and produce an output file with the sum. For example

###start of input text file ####
Code:
abc
def
ghi
kjld
random
text
occupies
some
again
some
random
text
whatever
is here
what

#####end of input file #########

The output should be

##start of output file ####
Code:
abc
def
ghi
kjld
random
text
occupies
some
again
some
random
text
whatever
is here
what

########### end of output file #################

So the output file is the same as the input file, except the series of numbers (where series consists of ten or less consecutive numbers) is replace by its sum.

I hope it makes sense. If not, please let me know any questions.

Kind Regards,

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing specific lines in a file

Hi there I have a file which has the lines # Serial number for hostid EXP_SERIAL_="" These lines could be anywhere in the file as far as line numbers go, I would like replace these two lines with # Serial number for hostid $var1 EXP_SERIAL_$var1="$var2" Is there a quick and simple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing new lines in all files of a directory containing old lines

Hi all, I am trying to replace a few lines with other lines of all files in a directory which contain those few lines. say - there are some 10 files in a dir having the same 4 lines as 1.txt at the starting 1.txt line 1 line 2 line 3 line 4 ....................................... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rooster005
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in replacing two blank lines with two lines of diff data

Hi.. I'm facing a trouble in replacing two blank lines in a file using shell script... I used sed to search a line and insert two blank lines after the searchd line using the following sed command. sed "/data/{G;G;}/" filename . In the file, after data tag, two lines got inserted blank lines..... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjun_arippa
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing specific lines with another lines

Hi, I have a file with many lines, then i have following list of lines(line number 5,12,19,5,and 28) i need to replace these lines of a file with another lines as shown below these text contains special charecter like= (/:;){} Line_number Text to replace with 5 abc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MILAN KUMAR
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding lines with a regular expression, replacing them with blank lines

So the tag for this forum says all newbies welcome... All I want to do is go through my file and find lines which contain a given string of characters then replace these with a blank line. I really tried to find a simple command to do this but failed. Here's what I did come up with though: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Golpette
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Summing over specific lines and replacing the lines with the sum using sed, awk

Hi friends, This is sed & awk type question. I have a text file which has numbers spread all over the file. I want to sum the series of numbers whenever i find it and produce an output file with the sum. For example ###start of input text file #### abc def ghi 1 2 3 4 kjld random... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Summing lines in a file

Can anyone tell me how sum values in each record of a file and append that value to the end? For instance a typical record will be: FY12,Budget,771100,,,,,,,,,250,-250 I'd like the record to become FY12,Budget,771100,,,,,,,,,250,-250,0 which can be put into another file. Thank you. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: LearningLinux2
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk summing specific lines and fields

Hi I would like to know if it is possible to sum some specific fields. I have this x;x;x;x;x;x;x;x;467,390,611 Bytes;0.435291 GB;0.062247 GB;0.373045 GB;11,225;157 a;a;a;a;a;a;a;a;13,805,156,846 Bytes;12.857054 GB;1.838559 GB;11.018495 GB;151,063;18,933 b;b;b;b;b;b;b;b;232,797,478,723... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nakaedu
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh sed - Extract specific lines with mulitple occurance of interesting lines

Data file example I look for primary and * to isolate the interesting slot number. slot=`sed '/^primary$/,/\*/!d' filename | tail -1 | sed s'/*//' | awk '{print $1" "$2}'` Now I want to get the Touch line for only the associate slot number, in this case, because the asterisk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to print lines from a files with specific start and end patterns and pick only the last lines?

Hi, I need to print lines which are matching with start pattern "SELECT" and END PATTERN ";" and only select the last "select" statement including the ";" . I have attached sample input file and the desired input should be as: INPUT FORMAT: SELECT ABCD, DEFGH, DFGHJ, JKLMN, AXCVB,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nani2019
5 Replies
sum(1B) 					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						   sum(1B)

NAME
sum - calculate a checksum for a file SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/sum file... DESCRIPTION
sum calculates and displays a 16-bit checksum for the named file and displays the size of the file in kilobytes. It is typically used to look for bad spots, or to validate a file communicated over some transmission line. The checksum is calculated by an algorithm which may yield different results on machines with 16-bit ints and machines with 32-bit ints, so it cannot always be used to validate that a file has been transferred between machines with different-sized ints. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of sum when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
sum(1), wc(1), attributes(5), largefile(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Read error is indistinguishable from EOF on most devices; check the block count. NOTES
sum and /usr/bin/sum (see sum(1)) return different checksums. This utility is obsolete. SunOS 5.10 8 Nov 1995 sum(1B)