Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers look for specific values in a file and rename file with value found Post 302665019 by amitranjansahu on Monday 2nd of July 2012 01:14:46 AM
Old 07-02-2012
The basic logic is bellow to find and rename files having a matching string. You can add multi sreach string as per your requirement.

PHP Code:
for filename in `grep -l AAA /root/ars/*`;
do
newname=$filename"AAA"
echo $newname
# move your file i=using mv command
done 

Last edited by amitranjansahu; 07-02-2012 at 02:15 AM.. Reason: code tag

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

finding specific values in a within a file

Hi everyone, Can anyone guide me on how to search through a huge file and look on specific column and if it finds a discrepancy on that column that does not conform to the specified criteria, ie (1) Numeric and (3) alpha chars F123 or G333..etc, etc! then idientify it and redirect... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gerry405
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

to extract specific values twice in a file

Hi Friends, I have a file with the following values.. xyz.txt,12345.xml abc.txt,04567.xml cde.txt,12134.xml I would like to extract all the 2nd column values twice as shown in the example like 12345,12345.xml 04567,04567.xml 12134,12134.xml Please advice!! In the formus one of... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: techmoris
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract specific string and rename file

Hi all, I am working on a small prog.. i have a file.txt which contains random data... K LINES V4 ADD CODE `COMPANY` ADD CODE `DISTRIBUTOR` SEQ NAME^K LINES V5 SEQ NAME^K LINES V6 ADD `PACK-LDATE` SEQ NAME^K^KCOMMAND END^KHEADINFO... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mukeshguliao
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename a file based on a specific separator

Hello, I am new to shell I have a folder which contains a list of files, all the files contain the separator : I need to replace this character for all the filenames (by batch) ex: hello:world should become hello-world please help Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sikilaklak
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename the file with specific pattern

Hello I am making a script where I need to rename the files but with different names.The file name could be change according to the product I made a logic but that is not working properly arr=$(echo a@b@c | tr "@" "\n") echo $arr output is a b c arry=$(echo d@e@f | tr "@" "\n") ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anuragpgtgerman
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get specific values from a file, help

Dear all, I have a specific problem that i cannot solve and I hope someone here can help me. :) I have two text files with one column of values. Example: File1: 67 94 95 . . File2 0.1 0.003 0.5 . . (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Higgo
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename values in file

Dear all, I have a problem that i cannot solve and I hope someone here can help me. I have a huge tab delimited text file with two columns in relation. The values in the first column can be redundant and one copy of that value can exist in the second column. My question is how to simplify... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Higgo
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename specific file extension in directory with match to another file in bash

I have a specific set (all ending with .bam) of downloaded files in a directory /home/cmccabe/Desktop/NGS/API/2-15-2016. What I am trying to do is use a match to $2 in name to rename the downloaded files. To make things a more involved the date of the folder is unique and in the header of name... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename text file with a specific pattern in directory

I am trying to rename all text files in a directory that match a pattern. The current command below seems to be using the directory path in the name and since it already exists, will not do the rename. I am not sure what I am missing? Thank you :). Files to rename in... (3 Replies)
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to change specific string to new value if found in text file

I am trying to use awk to change a specific string in a field, if it is found, to another value. In the tab-delimited file the text in bold in $3 contains the string 23, which is always right before a ., if it is present. I am trying to change that string to X, keeping the formatting and the... (3 Replies)
3 Replies
RENAME(1)							   User Commands							 RENAME(1)

NAME
rename - rename files SYNOPSIS
rename [options] expression replacement file... DESCRIPTION
rename will rename the specified files by replacing the first occurrence of expression in their name by replacement. OPTIONS
-v, --verbose Give visual feedback which files where renamed, if any. -V, --version Display version information and exit. -s, --symlink Peform rename on symlink target -h, --help Display help text and exit. EXAMPLES
Given the files foo1, ..., foo9, foo10, ..., foo278, the commands rename foo foo0 foo? rename foo foo0 foo?? will turn them into foo001, ..., foo009, foo010, ..., foo278. And rename .htm .html *.htm will fix the extension of your html files. WARNING
The renaming has no safeguards. If the user has permission to rewrite file names, the command will perform the action without any ques- tions. For example, the result can be quite drastic when the command is run as root in the /lib directory. Always make a backup before running the command, unless you truly know what you are doing. SEE ALSO
mmv(1), mv(1) AVAILABILITY
The rename command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2011 RENAME(1)