Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting printing variable with variable suffix through loop Post 302662425 by oly_r on Tuesday 26th of June 2012 02:00:33 PM
Old 06-26-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by huaihaizi3
Code:
for i in myIPgrp{1..10}; do
         echo ${!i}
done

Well crud, i figured it was an easy answer but DUH!. Never done it that way but i will be, thanks.

what is the ! doing???

Oh i actually use

Code:
for i in myLINEcnt{1..10} do

I will still be looking at the eval method, getting that to work will help me in the future.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed not printing variable

I have the following string stored in a variable from a file sbCvgXfsuupllsucpp11-aWa I want to use sed to search for the string in a second file: FileSys.dat sed -n "${obid}" FileSys.dat I'm getting "sed: command garbled: sbCvgXfsuupllsucpp11-aWa" The syntax seems fine...anyone... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: orahi001
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace variable with its value while printing

Hi I have a file in which there is list of files. eg: $path1/file1 $path1/file2 $path2/file3 I am trying to read this file in other script.However the value of variable i.e. $path1 and $path2 is not replaced by its value. How to do it ? I am trying: while read line do echo... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirecting stdout to variable while printing it

Hi everybody, I am trying to do the thing you see in the title, and I can't simply do a=$(svn up) echo $a because the program (svn) gives output on lots of lines and in the variable the output is stored on only one line (resulting in a horribly formatted text). Any tips? Thanks,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ocirne94
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing a variable column using awk

Hi everyone, Ok here's the scenario. I have a control file like this. component1,file1,file2,file3,file4,file5 component2,file1,file2,file3,file4,file5I want to do a while loop here to read all files for each component. file_count=2 while ] do file_name=`cat list.txt | grep... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: The Gamemaster
2 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

problem with printing out variable in awk

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: couldn't print out stored variable in awk 2. Relevant commands, code, scripts, algorithms: i have in a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ymc1g11
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SHELL: /bin/sh] For loop using variable variable names

Simple enough problem I think, I just can't seem to get it right. The below doesn't work as intended, it's just a function defined in a much larger script: CheckValues() { for field in \ Group_ID \ Group_Title \ Rule_ID \ Rule_Severity \ ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vryali
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Loop and variable not exactly variable: what's wrong

Hello guys, This truly is a newbie question. I'm trying to make a loop to execute simultaneous commands indefinitely while using variable. Here is how my mess looks like (this is just an example): #!/bin/bash IP=`shuf -n 1 IP.txt` # I figured this would be easier to select random lines... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobylapointe
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Array Variable being Assigned Values in Loop, But Gone when Loop Completes???

Hello All, Maybe I'm Missing something here but I have NOOO idea what the heck is going on with this....? I have a Variable that contains a PATTERN of what I'm considering "Illegal Characters". So what I'm doing is looping through a string containing some of these "Illegal Characters". Now... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrm5102
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[Solved] How to increment and add variable length numbers to a variable in a loop?

Hi All, I have a file which has hundred of records with fixed number of fields. In each record there is set of 8 characters which represent the duration of that activity. I want to sum up the duration present in all the records for a report. The problem is the duration changes per record so I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: danish0909
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable substitution in array printing

Hi folks, A really dumb question as I've wasted far too long trying to get this to work.... (on RH bash) I have an array: m0='<hello>' m0='<there>' m0='<fred>' v0='<goodbye>' v0='<again>' v0='<john>' in my code I calculate the value of the variable to output and if I echo it, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: say170
2 Replies
foreach(n)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							foreach(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
foreach - Iterate over all elements in one or more lists SYNOPSIS
foreach varname list body foreach varlist1 list1 ?varlist2 list2 ...? body _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The foreach command implements a loop where the loop variable(s) take on values from one or more lists. In the simplest case there is one loop variable, varname, and one list, list, that is a list of values to assign to varname. The body argument is a Tcl script. For each element of list (in order from first to last), foreach assigns the contents of the element to varname as if the lindex command had been used to extract the element, then calls the Tcl interpreter to execute body. In the general case there can be more than one value list (e.g., list1 and list2), and each value list can be associated with a list of loop variables (e.g., varlist1 and varlist2). During each iteration of the loop the variables of each varlist are assigned consecutive values from the corresponding list. Values in each list are used in order from first to last, and each value is used exactly once. The total number of loop iterations is large enough to use up all the values from all the value lists. If a value list does not contain enough elements for each of its loop variables in each iteration, empty values are used for the missing elements. The break and continue statements may be invoked inside body, with the same effect as in the for command. Foreach returns an empty string. EXAMPLES
This loop prints every value in a list together with the square and cube of the value: set values {1 3 5 7 2 4 6 8} ;# Odd numbers first, for fun! puts "Value Square Cube" ;# Neat-looking header foreach x $values { ;# Now loop and print... puts " $x [expr {$x**2}] [expr {$x**3}]" } The following loop uses i and j as loop variables to iterate over pairs of elements of a single list. set x {} foreach {i j} {a b c d e f} { lappend x $j $i } # The value of x is "b a d c f e" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. The next loop uses i and j to iterate over two lists in parallel. set x {} foreach i {a b c} j {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j } # The value of x is "a d b e c f {} g" # There are 4 iterations of the loop. The two forms are combined in the following example. set x {} foreach i {a b c} {j k} {d e f g} { lappend x $i $j $k } # The value of x is "a d e b f g c {} {}" # There are 3 iterations of the loop. SEE ALSO
for(n), while(n), break(n), continue(n) KEYWORDS
foreach, iteration, list, looping Tcl foreach(n)