Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Summing over specific lines and replacing the lines with the sum using sed, awk Post 302661709 by Scrutinizer on Monday 25th of June 2012 03:55:58 PM
Old 06-25-2012
Code:
awk '/[^0-9]/{if(s)print s; s=0; print; next} {s+=$1} END{if(s)print s}' infile

This User Gave Thanks to Scrutinizer For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing specific lines in a file

Hi there I have a file which has the lines # Serial number for hostid EXP_SERIAL_="" These lines could be anywhere in the file as far as line numbers go, I would like replace these two lines with # Serial number for hostid $var1 EXP_SERIAL_$var1="$var2" Is there a quick and simple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or Awk to remove specific lines

I have searched the forum for this - forgive me if I missed a previous post. I have the following file: blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah alter table "informix".esc_acct add constraint (foreign key (fi_id) references "informix".fi ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shoeless_Mike
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting specific 'id's from lines and columns using 'SED' or 'AWK'

Hello experts, I am new to this group and to 'SED' and 'AWK'. I have data (text file) with 5 columns (C_1-5) and 100s of lines (only 10 lines are shown below as an example). I have to find or select only the id numbers (C-1) of specific lines with '90' in the same line (of C_3) AND with '20' in... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamskamu
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/awk to delete single lines that aren't touching other lines

Hello, I'm trying to figure out how to use sed or awk to delete single lines in a file. By single, I mean lines that are not touching any other lines (just one line with white space above and below). Example: one two three four five six seven eight I want it to look like: (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: slimjbe
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing specific lines with another lines

Hi, I have a file with many lines, then i have following list of lines(line number 5,12,19,5,and 28) i need to replace these lines of a file with another lines as shown below these text contains special charecter like= (/:;){} Line_number Text to replace with 5 abc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MILAN KUMAR
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Summing over specific lines and replacing the lines with the sum

Hi friends, This is sed & awk type question. It is slightly different from my previous question. I have a text file which has numbers spread all over the file. I want to sum the series of numbers (but no more than 10 numbers in series) whenever i find it and produce an output file with the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk summing specific lines and fields

Hi I would like to know if it is possible to sum some specific fields. I have this x;x;x;x;x;x;x;x;467,390,611 Bytes;0.435291 GB;0.062247 GB;0.373045 GB;11,225;157 a;a;a;a;a;a;a;a;13,805,156,846 Bytes;12.857054 GB;1.838559 GB;11.018495 GB;151,063;18,933 b;b;b;b;b;b;b;b;232,797,478,723... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: nakaedu
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh sed - Extract specific lines with mulitple occurance of interesting lines

Data file example I look for primary and * to isolate the interesting slot number. slot=`sed '/^primary$/,/\*/!d' filename | tail -1 | sed s'/*//' | awk '{print $1" "$2}'` Now I want to get the Touch line for only the associate slot number, in this case, because the asterisk... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: popeye
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing lines matching a multi-line pattern (sed/perl/awk)

Dear Unix Forums, I am hoping you can help me with a pattern matching problem. What am I trying to do? I want to replace multiple lines of a text file (that match a multi-line pattern) with a single line of text. These patterns can span several lines and do not always have the same number of... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: thefang
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk with sed to combine lines and remove specific odd # pattern from line

In the awk piped to sed below I am trying to format file by removing the odd xxxx_digits and whitespace after, then move the even xxxx_digit to the line above it and add a space between them. There may be multiple lines in file but they are in the same format. The Filename_ID line is the last line... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
awk(1)							      General Commands Manual							    awk(1)

Name
       awk - pattern scanning and processing language

Syntax
       awk [-Fc] [-f prog] [-] [file...]

Description
       The  command scans each input file for lines that match any of a set of patterns specified in prog.  With each pattern in prog there can be
       an associated action that will be performed when a line of a file matches the pattern.  The set of patterns may appear literally  as  prog,
       or in a file specified as -f prog.

Files  are  read  in  order;  if there are no files, the standard input is read.  The file name `-' means the standard input.  Each line is
       matched against the pattern portion of every pattern-action statement; the associated action is performed for each matched pattern.

An input line is made up of fields separated by white space.  (This default can be changed by using FS, as described  below.)   The  fields
       are denoted $1, $2, ... ; $0 refers to the entire line.

A pattern-action statement has the form

pattern { action }

A missing { action } means print the line; a missing pattern always matches.

An action is a sequence of statements.  A statement can be one of the following:

if ( conditional ) statement [ else statement ]
	    while ( conditional ) statement
	    for ( expression ; conditional ; expression ) statement
	    break
	    continue
	    { [ statement ] ... }
	    variable = expression
	    print [ expression-list ] [ >expression ]
	    printf format [ , expression-list ] [ >expression ]
	    next # skip remaining patterns on this input line
	    exit # skip the rest of the input

Statements  are terminated by semicolons, new lines or right braces.  An empty expression-list stands for the whole line.  Expressions take
       on string or numeric values as appropriate, and are built using the operators +, -, *, /, %,  and concatenation	(indicated  by	a  blank).
       The  C operators ++, --, +=, -=, *=, /=, and %= are also available in expressions.  Variables may be scalars, array elements (denoted x[i])
       or fields.  Variables are initialized to the null string.  Array subscripts may be any string, not necessarily numeric; this allows  for  a
       form of associative memory.  String constants are quoted "...".

The  print  statement prints its arguments on the standard output (or on a file if >file is present), separated by the current output field
       separator, and terminated by the output record separator.  The statement formats its expression list according to the format.  For  further
       information, see

The  built-in  function	length	returns the length of its argument taken as a string, or of the whole line if no argument.  There are also
       built-in functions exp, log, sqrt, and int.  The last truncates its argument to an integer.  substr(s, m, n) returns the  n-character  sub-
       string  of  s that begins at position m.  The function sprintf(fmt, expr, expr, ...)  formats the expressions according to the format given
       by fmt and returns the resulting string.

Patterns are arbitrary Boolean combinations (!, ||, &&, and parentheses)  of  regular  expressions  and	relational  expressions.   Regular
       expressions  must be surrounded by slashes and are as in egrep.	Isolated regular expressions in a pattern apply to the entire line.  Regu-
       lar expressions may also occur in relational expressions.

A pattern may consist of two patterns separated by a comma; in this case, the action is performed for all lines between	an  occurrence	of
       the first pattern and the next occurrence of the second.

A relational expression is one of the following:

expression matchop regular-expression
	    expression relop expression

where a relop is any of the six relational operators in C, and a matchop is either ~ (for contains) or !~ (for does not contain).  A condi-
       tional is an arithmetic expression, a relational expression, or a Boolean combination of these.

The special patterns BEGIN and END may be used to capture control before the first input line is read and after the last.   BEGIN  must	be
       the first pattern, END the last.

A single character c may be used to separate the fields by starting the program with

BEGIN { FS = "c" }

or by using the -Fc option.

Other  variable	names  with special meanings include NF, the number of fields in the current record; NR, the ordinal number of the current
       record; FILENAME, the name of the current input file; OFS, the output field separator (default blank); ORS,  the  output  record  separator
       (default new line); and OFMT, the output format for numbers (default "%.6g").

Options
       -	 Used for standard input file.

-Fc	 Sets interfield separator to named character.

-fprog	 Uses prog file for patterns and actions.

Examples
       Print lines longer than 72 characters:
	    length > 72

Print first two fields in opposite order:
	    { print $2, $1 }

Add up first column, print sum and average:
		 { s += $1 }
	    END  { print "sum is", s, " average is", s/NR }

Print fields in reverse order:
	    { for (i = NF; i > 0; --i) print $i }

Print all lines between start/stop pairs:
	    /start/, /stop/

Print all lines whose first field is different from previous one:
	    $1 != prev { print; prev = $1 }

Restrictions
       There  are  no explicit conversions between numbers and strings.  To force an expression to be treated as a number add 0 to it; to force it
       to be treated as a string concatenate "" to it.

See Also
       lex(1), sed(1)
       "Awk - A Pattern Scanning and Processing Language" ULTRIX Supplementary Documents Vol. II: Programmer

awk(1)