Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Linux command to find and replace occurance of more than two equal sign with "==" from XML file. Post 302661093 by alister on Sunday 24th of June 2012 06:53:37 PM
Old 06-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakunin
... because there is a trick:

Code:
(cat /path/to/file) | sed '<somecommand>' > /path/to/file

This will work for files which are small enough to fit into memory. The downside is, that if anything goes wrong (power loss, reboot, process aborted, ...) your data will be irrevocably destroyed. You sure do not want to use this hack on critical data just to save a few GB of (temporary) diskspace.
That won't work even when there's just a single byte in the file, if the shell first creates the sed portion of the pipeline. There are no guarantees on which component of a pipeline will be created first.

Regards,
Alister

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

"find command" to find the files in the current directories but not in the "subdir"

Dear friends, please tell me how to find the files which are existing in the current directory, but it sholud not search in the sub directories.. it is like this, current directory contains file1, file2, file3, dir1, dir2 and dir1 conatins file4, file5 and dir2 contains file6,... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: swamymns
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Interesting question - Search and replace the word after sign "="

Hi Guys, Req your help in searching and replacing the word that comes after equals(=) symbol I would like to replace the sting in bold with a string in variable. d=ABCDF8C44C22 # grep -i NIM_MASTERID ${_NIMINFO} export NIM_MASTERID=00CDF8C44C00 I'm looking to replace any word that... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajilesh
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

replace "," with "." only in specific columns of a file?

Hi all, I have this text file containing 9 columns separated by space. The 8th columns contains the numbers. C1 C2 C3 C4 C5 C6 C7 C8 C9 er rt yt gh iu nk il 0.07 xs yt lr ty bg iu zk nh 0,0005 lt ...etc. I want to replace the comma with full stop only in 8th coloumn. the output... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Unilearn
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with "find" and "grep" command

I want to list all files/lines which except those which contain the pattern ' /proc/' OR ' /sys/' (mind the leading blank). In a first approach I coded: find / -exec ls -ld {} | grep -v ' /proc/| /sys/' \; > /tmp/list.txt But this doesn't work. I got an error (under Ubuntu): grep:... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pstein
5 Replies

6. Ubuntu

How to change "more" to "more or equal" in this line?

Hi, Below line selects only dates comes after than today. I need to change below line as "more or equal": awk -F\## -v d=$(date +%Y%m%d) '{if($NF>d)print}' /usr/batch/pill.txt > /usr/batch/pill_in_use.txt When we change the code, it will print today's date and following dates only. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete all log files older than 10 day and whose first string of the first line is "MSH" or "<?xml"

Dear Ladies & Gents, I have a requirement to delete all the log files in /var/log/test directory that are older than 10 days and their first line begin with "MSH" or "<?xml" or "FHS". I've put together the following BASH script, but it's erroring out: for filename in $(find /var/log/test... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hiroshi
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How do I redirect output from "find", either to a file or another command?

I'm trying to find out what happened to the rogue game that apt-get told me it installed, so I thought I would find the file. I went to the root and entered: find -name "rog*.*" I get a large number of lines saying my access is denied in various directories. I figure I'll practice my Unix... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: arghvark
14 Replies
pid(1T) 						       Tcl Built-In Commands							   pid(1T)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
pid - Retrieve process identifiers SYNOPSIS
pid ?fileId? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
If the fileId argument is given then it should normally refer to a process pipeline created with the open command. In this case the pid command will return a list whose elements are the process identifiers of all the processes in the pipeline, in order. The list will be empty if fileId refers to an open file that isn't a process pipeline. If no fileId argument is given then pid returns the process identi- fier of the current process. All process identifiers are returned as decimal strings. EXAMPLE
Print process information about the processes in a pipeline using the SysV ps program before reading the output of that pipeline: set pipeline [open "| zcat somefile.gz | grep foobar | sort -u"] # Print process information exec ps -fp [pid $pipeline] >@stdout # Print a separator and then the output of the pipeline puts [string repeat - 70] puts [read $pipeline] close $pipeline SEE ALSO
exec(1T), open(1T) KEYWORDS
file, pipeline, process identifier ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWTcl | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for Tcl is available on http://opensolaris.org. Tcl 7.0 pid(1T)