Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: RSH
Operating Systems Linux RSH Post 302659807 by Peasant on Thursday 21st of June 2012 12:04:46 PM
Old 06-21-2012
I have found that RSH is much faster when copying data over internal network (which is of course understandable since it doesn't encrypt the data)

So i see no evil in enable, do your job and disable it if you need to copy like 100 or more GB.

It's wrong to have always on, since there are secure alternatives (sftp/ssl, ssh).

Regards
Peasant.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with rsh

I am trying to run a Perl script using rsh. I need to be able to capture the return code value, so the calling script can handle failures properly. I cannot modify the Perl script I need to run because we use it for all of our servers. Does anyone have a suggestion? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kscase
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

rsh

Hi, on .rhosts file of server2 I have : server1 user server1 root when I want to issu rsh from server1 to server2 : 1-If I'm root it is OK. 2-if I'm ordinary user I receive permission denied. What is the problem ? What is the solution ? Many thanks in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

about rsh

I have two host ( hostA and hostB ) , now hostA can use " rsh -l userB hostB " to rsh to hostB without input the password , it work fine, but if I modify it to " rsh -l userB hostB -n "ls" " , it will pop the message "Permission denied." , could suggest what is wrong ? thx (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ust
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help on rsh

hi friends, i've access to three machines mc1,mc2,mc3,on which i can log in as root. and in order to run a simple command on a remote machine(say remote) on which i cant log in,i use a command as; # rsh remote ls the above runs properly but if i do an ls on following it doesnt work # rsh mc2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mxms755
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help on rsh

Hi, i need to xecute rsh or rexec command in order to execute the script on multiple server. The problem i am facing is when i execute rsh command with login name and hostname it ask me password interactively can some body help me how i can pass password along with the command or how to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deep022in
1 Replies

6. Linux

Help in RSH

Hi All, I want to execute a command from my Windows machine to Linux machine. d:> rsh <Linux machine add> -l <user_name> pwd>dir in linux machine users home directory in .rhosts file I entered the windows machine IP address and user name. In linux etc/hosts.equiv file I entered the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarwan
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Rsh

Hi All, I want to execute a command from my Windows machine to Linux machine using RSH only d:> rsh <Linux machine add> -l <user_name> pwd>dir in linux machine users home directory in .rhosts file I entered the windows machine IP address and user name. In linux etc/hosts.equiv file I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sarwan
1 Replies

8. AIX

Rsh

How to configure rsh for different users in aix? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vjm
4 Replies

9. Solaris

rsh

How to enable rsh in solaris (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: durgaprasadr13
7 Replies

10. Red Hat

Rsh

Hi, I issue : rsh ****.16.0.151 -l root ls -l /tmp and I receive : connect to address ***.16.0.151: Connection refused Trying krb4 rsh... In hosts file of remote (***.16.0.151) I have : ***.16.0.202 root Can you help me ? Thank you. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: big123456
0 Replies
PAM_RHOSTS(8)							 Linux-PAM Manual						     PAM_RHOSTS(8)

NAME
pam_rhosts - The rhosts PAM module SYNOPSIS
pam_rhosts.so DESCRIPTION
This module performs the standard network authentication for services, as used by traditional implementations of rlogin and rsh etc. The authentication mechanism of this module is based on the contents of two files; /etc/hosts.equiv (or and ~/.rhosts. Firstly, hosts listed in the former file are treated as equivalent to the localhost. Secondly, entries in the user's own copy of the latter file is used to map "remote-host remote-user" pairs to that user's account on the current host. Access is granted to the user if their host is present in /etc/hosts.equiv and their remote account is identical to their local one, or if their remote account has an entry in their personal configuration file. The module authenticates a remote user (internally specified by the item PAM_RUSER connecting from the remote host (internally specified by the item PAM_RHOST). Accordingly, for applications to be compatible this authentication module they must set these items prior to calling pam_authenticate(). The module is not capable of independently probing the network connection for such information. OPTIONS
debug Print debug information. silent Don't print informative messages. superuser=account Handle account as root. MODULE TYPES PROVIDED
Only the auth module type is provided. RETURN VALUES
PAM_AUTH_ERR The remote host, remote user name or the local user name couldn't be determined or access was denied by .rhosts file. PAM_USER_UNKNOWN User is not known to system. EXAMPLES
To grant a remote user access by /etc/hosts.equiv or .rhosts for rsh add the following lines to /etc/pam.d/rsh: #%PAM-1.0 # auth required pam_rhosts.so auth required pam_nologin.so auth required pam_env.so auth required pam_unix.so SEE ALSO
rootok(3), hosts.equiv(5), rhosts(5), pam.conf(5), pam.d(5), pam(8) AUTHOR
pam_rhosts was written by Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@thkukuk.de> Linux-PAM Manual 04/01/2010 PAM_RHOSTS(8)