Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX Print Paper Size always A3 instead of A4 Post 302659581 by bakunin on Thursday 21st of June 2012 07:23:22 AM
Old 06-21-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchpan
What you think issue with first printer?
I think it could be a myriad of possible reasons and then some other. As my crystal ball is in repair right now i can't find out which one is the one applying to your problem.

Serious: what have you done to analyze the problem? What have these actions shown? What is the content of your queue definitions? What is your printing setup (locally, via network, remote print server, ...)? What is ...?

How are we supposed to find out what your problem is working on even less data than you have available (and even having more data you didn't find it out at all)?

Well, from the wisdom of Kung-Fu-Aix: printer not working because pupil is not enlightened. Unfortunately pupil will not be enlightenment until having learned thorough problem-solving skills which goes hand in hand with developing thorough problem-describing skills. All is Buddha and Buddha is in AIX - even in systems with printers attached.

I hope this helps.

bakunin
This User Gave Thanks to bakunin For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Research paper

I am doing a "research" paper for school and i'm having a hard time finding accurate information. I am supposed to choose three differant versions of unix, give a brief explination of each, tell why there each differant from each other. I have found a ton of web sites but the information is so vast... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pantsusan
1 Replies

2. Solaris

Printing spits out paper!!!

Hello again.. Here's my problem: i've got uses who print on a epson 1170 dot printer from a solaris server (SunOS ss5 5.3 Generic_101318-70 sun4m sparc) Normally they print out data of an informix database. The file is about 30 pages long. I had to modify the lp command as follows (lpbase... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: penguin-friend
1 Replies

3. HP-UX

Print Problem in UNIX. Need to know the option to specify the print paper size

Hi, Could any one please let me know what is the option available in UNIX to print by specifying the paper size? We are using Unix11i. I could n't see any option specified in the 'lp' command to print the report by specifying the size of the paper. It would be of great help to me, if... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ukarthik
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

How to override the default paper size received by a print job

Hi, Kindly help me with your valid suggestions to solve the below problem: "How to override the default paper size received by a print job. Ex. The output file is generated with a default paper size of 11x17 and we need to print on 11x14 paper. When printing this file from HP Unix, is there... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukarthik
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i print the output of the shell script in bigger size

how can i print the output of the shell script in bigger size eg: echo " hello world" i want to print this in the output with bigger size in the middle of the screen. can someone please help me out in that (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Research paper library

menu should look at least like the following:- RESEARCH PAPER LIBRARY - Main Menu 0 : EXIT this program 1 : EDIT menu 2 : REPORTS Menu Enter your choice> program should check for invalid choice and display error message and re-display the main-menu. If EDIT is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SHakur_BIG
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find a file and print its size

I have a directory, /local/test/ under this directory is many subdirectories, each subdir has about 70 files, the 70 files are always the same names. I want to print to the screen the size of fileabc.txt in each of the subdirectories. I cannot seem to work with pipe and splats * because there are... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajp7701
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rock Paper Scissors

I'm trying to create this game in Unix. This is what I have so far: echo "Player one: Choose (R)ock, (P)aper (S)cissors" stty -echo read Pone case $Pone in R) echo "Good Choice! Let's see what Player two chooses.";; P) echo "Good Choice! Let's see what Player two chooses.";; S) echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpro
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Print folder size ordered by pattern value of specific file type :-) ! challenge !

Hello dear unix command line friends ! I'm looking for a simple combinaison of ls & awk (maybe grep) to print: list of folders of a directory |_ ordered by size like what I have with $ du -sk ./* | sort -rn printing that result: 8651520 ./New Virtual Machine_1 8389120 ./Redhat ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: holister
1 Replies
lpc(1B) 					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						   lpc(1B)

NAME
lpc - line printer control program SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/lpc [ command [ parameter...]] DESCRIPTION
The lpc utility controls the operation of local printers. Use lpc to perform the following functions: o start or stop a printer, o disable or enable a printer's spooling queue, o rearrange the order of jobs in a print queue, or o display the status of a printer print queue and printer daemon. lpc can be run from the command line or interactively. Specifying lpc with the optional command and parameter arguments causes lpc to interpret the first argument as an lpc command, and all other arguments as parameters to that command. Specifying lpc without arguments causes it to run interactively, prompting the user for lpc commands with lpc>. By redirecting the standard input, lpc can read commands from a file. USAGE
lpc commands may be typed in their entirety or abbreviated to an unambiguous substring. Some lpc commands are available to all users; oth- ers are available only to super-users. All users may execute the following lpc commands: ? [command ...] | help [command ...] Displays a short description of command. command is an lpc command. If command is not specified, displays a list of lpc commands. exit | quit Exits from lpc. status [all | printer ...] Displays the status of print daemons and print queues. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for infor- mation regarding naming conventions for atomic names. Only a super-user may execute the following lpc commands: abort [all | printer ...] Terminates an active spooling daemon. Disables printing (by preventing new daemons from being started by lpr(1B)) for printer. all specifies this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. clean [all | printer ...] Removes files created in the print spool directory by the print daemon from printer 's print queue. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers.printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. disable [all | printer ...] Turns off the print queue for printer. Prevents new printer jobs from being entered into the print queue for printerby lpr(1B). all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. down [all | printer ...] [message] Turns the queue for printer off and disables printing on printer. Inserts message in the printer status file. message does not need to be quoted; multiple arguments to message are treated as arguments are to echo(1). Use down to take a printer down and inform users. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. enable [all | printer ...] Enables lpr(1B) to add new jobs in the spool queue. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for infor- mation regarding naming conventions for atomic names. restart [all | printer ...] Attempts to start a new printer daemon. restart is useful when a print daemon dies unexpectedly and leaves jobs in the print queue. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates that this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. start [all | printer ...] Enables printing. Starts a spooling daemon for the printer. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates the command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. stop [all | printer ...] Stops a spooling daemon after the current job is complete. Disables printing at that time. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. topq printer [request-ID ...] [user ...] Moves request-ID or print jobs belonging to user on printer to the beginning of the print queue. Specify user as a user's login name. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf(4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. up [all | printer ...] Turns the queue for printer on and enables printing on printer. Deletes the message in the printer status file (inserted by down). Use up to undo the effects of down. all specifies that this command is performed on all locally attached printers. printer indicates this command is performed on specific printers. Specify printer as an atomic name. See printers.conf( 4) for information regarding naming conventions for atomic names. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful completion. non-zero An error occurred. FILES
/var/spool/lp/* LP print queue. /var/spool/lp/system/pstatus Printer status information file. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscplp | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
echo(1), lpq(1B), lpr(1B), lprm(1B), lpstat(1), lpsched(1M), lpshut(1M), svcadm(1M), printers.conf(4), attributes(5) DIAGNOSTICS
Use the svcs(1) utility to check if svc:/application/print/server is running. If it is not running, use svcadm enable svc:/applica- tion/print/server to start lpsched. See svcadm(1M). Ambiguous command Indicates that the lpc command or abbreviation matches more than one command. ?Invalid command Indicates that the lpc command or abbreviation is not recognized. ?Privileged command Indicates that the lpc command or abbreviation can be executed only by a super-user. lpc: printer: unknown printer to the print service Indicates that printer does not exist in the LP database. Check that printer was correctly specified. Use lpstat -p or the status command (see lpstat(1) or USAGE) to check the status of printers. lpc: error on opening queue to spooler Indicates that the connection to lpsched failed. Usually means that the printer server has died or is hung. Use /usr/lib/lp/lpsched to check if the printer spooler daemon is running. lpc: Can't send message to LP print service lpc: Can't receive message from LP print service Indicates that the LP print service stopped. Contact the LP administrator. lpc: Received unexpected message from LP print service Indicates a problem with the software. Contact the LP administrator. SunOS 5.10 5 Aug 2004 lpc(1B)