Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed command to delete everything after > on line Post 302657963 by LMHmedchem on Monday 18th of June 2012 01:37:32 PM
Old 06-18-2012
sed command to delete everything after > on line

I have a large data file that I need to edit. There are lines like,
Code:
>  <IDNUMBER> (ST000002)
>  <SUPPLIER> (ST000002)
>  <IDNUMBER> (ST000004)
>  <SUPPLIER> (ST000004)

and I need to delete everything after the >, excepting the end of line.
Code:
>  <IDNUMBER>
>  <SUPPLIER>
>  <IDNUMBER>
>  <SUPPLIER>

I am not completely sure that the > appears only in this place, so I think I need to do something like,

Code:
sed 's/>\ \ <*>\ (*)/>/g'

But I have misplaced the list of all of my sed commands and don't remember the syntax, what needs to be escaped, etc.

Help would be appreciated.

LMHmedchem

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 06-18-2012 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed: delete regex line and next line if blank

Hi, I want to write a sed script which from batiato: batiato/giubbe: pip_b.2.txt pip_b.3.txt pip_b.3mmm.txt bennato: bennato/peterpan: 123.txt consoli: pip_a.12.txt daniele: (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: one71
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

USING sed to delete a line

Please let me know wat would be sed command to delete any partcular line from a file and also moving lines below it to up. ie wen line #9 is deleted data in line #10 should move to #9 and so on. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fidelis
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed or Grep to delete line containing patter plus extra line

I'm new to using sed and grep commands, but have found them extremely useful. However I am having a hard time figuring this one out: Delete every line containing the word CEN and the next line as well. ie. test.txt blue 324 CEN green red blue 324 CEN green red blue to produce:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rocketman88
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED delete only first line command - Help need

Can any one help me how the sed delete only first line command (D) works. sed -f sedcmds File.txt In this how the sed delete only first line command (D) works to delete the blank lines appearing more than ones leaving only one blank and deleting others blanks. While doing step by step when... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gwgreen1
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete a line between selected lines using sed or any other command

I want to delete a line between selected lines using sed: e.g. : Between "bus" to "pins", delete lines conaining "signal" word. Input : bus direction signal new signal old pins signal ok end Desired Output: bus direction pins signal end (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to delete line

HI, Im using the below commmand to delete lines having "(" at the start of a line. sed -e '/^(/d' But i need a command to delete lines that has only "(" in it and no other strings. infile - asdf asdf ( asdf ( asd outfile (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dvah
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete the line with a particular string in a file using sed command.

Hello, I want to delete all lines with given string in file1 and the string val is dynamic. Can this be done using sed command. Sample: vars="test twinning yellow" for i in $vars do grep $i file1 if then echo "Do Nothing" else sed `/$i/d` file1 fi done Using the above... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: PrasadAruna
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to grep multiple pattern present in single line and delete that line

here is what i want to achieve.. i have a file with below contents cat fileName blah blah blah . .DROP this REJECT that . --sport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable --dport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable . . . more blah blah blah --dport 3306... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed. Delete line before and after pattern.

Hi. In need to delete line before and after pattern in file. I came to following commands. Delete line before sed -ni '/pattern/{x;d;};1h;1!{x;p;};${x;p;}' /etc/testfile Delete line after sed -i '/pattern/{N;s/\n.*//;}' /etc/testfile Is it possible to merge it in single command? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete line from file using sed command?

hello Team, I want to delete below linux using sed command but I am getting error.sed -i '/url=/status.cgi?hostgroup=/d' 3 error:sed: -e expression #1, char 32: unknown option to `s' Could you please help me with correct syntax. My line contain / character because of that I am getting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ghpradeep
4 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)