Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Shared library with acces to shared memory. Post 302657949 by iamjag on Monday 18th of June 2012 01:11:27 PM
Old 06-18-2012
Thanks Corona for your opinion.

I have been reading about mmap and I have understood
that you need a process running to keep the file in-memory. I have been doing some testing and wiht 'shmget' I can share memory and when the process stops the shared memory is already available. Am I right?

I like the idea of a process which makes the memory available for the first time and does not need to be running later. Also, this operation could be delegated to the own library at the first time it is called. Is this posible using mmap?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Shared Library

hello all I want to work in shared libraries how can i work in Linux Environment ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajashekaran
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Shared memory shortage but lots of unused memory

I am running HP-UX B.11.11. I'm increasing a parameter for a database engine so that it uses more memory to buffer the disk drive (to speed up performance). I have over 5GB of memory not being used. But when I try to start the DB with the increased buffer parameter I get told. "Not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cjcamaro
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

shared library

What is the primary difference between static library and dynamic library? and how to write static shared library? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: areef4u
1 Replies

4. Programming

Shared memory in shared library

I need to create a shared library to access an in memory DB. The DB is not huge, but big enough to make it cumbersome to carry around in every single process using the shared library. Luckily, it is pretty static information, so I don't need to worry much about synchronizing the data between... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
12 Replies

5. Programming

Shared memory for shared library

I am writing a shared library in Linux (but compatible with other UNIXes) and I want to allow multiple instances to share a piece of memory -- 1 byte is enough. What's the "best" way to do this? I want to optimize for speed and portability. Obviously, I'll have to worry about mutual exclusion. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: otheus
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change a Makefile from building static library to shared library?

Hi: I have a library that it only offers Makefile for building static library. It built libxxx.a file. How do I in any way build a shared library? (either changin the Makefile or direct script or command to build shared library) Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cpthk
1 Replies

7. Programming

Makefile shared library g++

I'm having trouble with my makefile, I'm trying to code a shared library to be used by another program *EDIT* Found the solution: CC = g++ MODULES= readconfig.o ReadConfigLib.o OBJECTS= RCLOBJECTS= ReadConfigLib.cpp readconfig.cpp configDefinitions.h readconfig.h ReadConfigLib.h... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: james2432
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Which sections of a shared library should be loaded in the physical memory?

Each shared library may contain sections with allocatable flag as below: ... .hash .gnu.hash .dynsym .dynstr .gnu.version .gnu.version_d .rel.dyn .rel.plt .plt ... My questions is that: among above sections, which of them should be loaded in the physical memory by run-time linker... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dongping84
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Shared static library

Hello Please what does mean shared static library and LD-Preload? Thank you (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur857
3 Replies

10. AIX

Add shared members from library to same library in a different directory

I'm trying to install libiconv to AIX 7.1 from an rpm off of the perzl site. The rpm appears to install but I get this error message. add shr4.o shared members from /usr/lib/libiconv.a to /opt/freeware/lib/libiconv.a add shr.o shared members from /usr/lib/libiconv.a to ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kneemoe
5 Replies
SHM_OVERVIEW(7) 					     Linux Programmer's Manual						   SHM_OVERVIEW(7)

NAME
shm_overview - overview of POSIX shared memory DESCRIPTION
The POSIX shared memory API allows processes to communicate information by sharing a region of memory. The interfaces employed in the API are: shm_open(3) Create and open a new object, or open an existing object. This is analogous to open(2). The call returns a file descriptor for use by the other interfaces listed below. ftruncate(2) Set the size of the shared memory object. (A newly created shared memory object has a length of zero.) mmap(2) Map the shared memory object into the virtual address space of the calling process. munmap(2) Unmap the shared memory object from the virtual address space of the calling process. shm_unlink(3) Remove a shared memory object name. close(2) Close the file descriptor allocated by shm_open(3) when it is no longer needed. fstat(2) Obtain a stat structure that describes the shared memory object. Among the information returned by this call are the object's size (st_size), permissions (st_mode), owner (st_uid), and group (st_gid). fchown(2) To change the ownership of a shared memory object. fchmod(2) To change the permissions of a shared memory object. Versions POSIX shared memory is supported since Linux 2.4 and glibc 2.2. Persistence POSIX shared memory objects have kernel persistence: a shared memory object will exist until the system is shut down, or until all pro- cesses have unmapped the object and it has been deleted with shm_unlink(3) Linking Programs using the POSIX shared memory API must be compiled with cc -lrt to link against the real-time library, librt. Accessing shared memory objects via the filesystem On Linux, shared memory objects are created in a (tmpfs(5)) virtual filesystem, normally mounted under /dev/shm. Since kernel 2.6.19, Linux supports the use of access control lists (ACLs) to control the permissions of objects in the virtual filesystem. NOTES
Typically, processes must synchronize their access to a shared memory object, using, for example, POSIX semaphores. System V shared memory (shmget(2), shmop(2), etc.) is an older shared memory API. POSIX shared memory provides a simpler, and better designed interface; on the other hand POSIX shared memory is somewhat less widely available (especially on older systems) than System V shared memory. SEE ALSO
fchmod(2), fchown(2), fstat(2), ftruncate(2), mmap(2), mprotect(2), munmap(2), shmget(2), shmop(2), shm_open(3), shm_unlink(3), sem_over- view(7) COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2016-12-12 SHM_OVERVIEW(7)