Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Please suggest alternative to grep Post 302657645 by niladri29 on Monday 18th of June 2012 06:41:39 AM
Old 06-18-2012
"fgrep -f file1 file2 " worked for me

Thanks,
Niladri

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can you suggest a more efficient way for this?

Hi I have the following at the end of a service shutdown script used in part of an active-passive failover setup: ### # Shutdown all primary Network Interfaces # associated with failover ### # get interface names based on IP's # and shut them down to simulate loss of # heartbeatd ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mikie
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

suggest book

Hi I am new to Unix/Linux I know commands and shell scripts which are useful for my project. But i need to know the basics and commands and shell scripts in detail and easy guide. Please refer a book. Thanks Haripatn (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: haripatn
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep alternative to handle large numbers of files

I am looking for a file with 'MCR0000000716214' in it. I tried the following command: grep MCR0000000716214 * The problem is that the folder I am searching in has over 87000 files and I am getting the following: bash: /bin/grep: Arg list too long Is there any command I can use that can... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: runnerpaul
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative to grep

How to find a particular line in a file without using grep? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need best grep option or alternative

Hello, I am processing a text file which contains only words with few combination of characters (it is a dictionary file). example: havana have haven haven't havilland havoc Is there a way to exclude only 1 to 8 character long words which not include space or special characters : '-`~.. so... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alekkz
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alternative to the grep trick

Hi, We used to use the below commands often. ps -ef|grep bc ps -ef|grep abc|grep -v grep Both fairly returns the same result. For example, the process name is dynamic and we are having the process name in a variable, how we can apply the above trick. For example "a" is the... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
11 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Alternative command to grep -w option

Hi All, We have few scripts where we are using grep -w option to do exact matching of the pattern. This works fine on most of our servers. But I have encounter a very old HP-UX System(HP-UX B.11.00) where grep -w option is not available. This is causing my scripts to fail. I need to change... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: veeresh_15
7 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with grep, or alternative

say I have a big list of something like: sdg2000 weghre10 fewg53 gwg99 jwegwejjwej43 afg10293 I want to remove the numbers of any line that has letters + 1 to 4 numbers output: sdg weghre fewg gwg jwegwejjwej afg10293 (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siwon
7 Replies
XZDIFF(1)							     XZ Utils								 XZDIFF(1)

NAME
xzcmp, xzdiff, lzcmp, lzdiff - compare compressed files SYNOPSIS
xzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] xzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] lzcmp [cmp_options] file1 [file2] lzdiff [diff_options] file1 [file2] DESCRIPTION
xzcmp and xzdiff invoke cmp(1) or diff(1) on files compressed with xz(1), lzma(1), gzip(1), or bzip2(1). All options specified are passed directly to cmp(1) or diff(1). If only one file is specified, then the files compared are file1 (which must have a suffix of a supported compression format) and file1 from which the compression format suffix has been stripped. If two files are specified, then they are uncom- pressed if necessary and fed to cmp(1) or diff(1). The exit status from cmp(1) or diff(1) is preserved. The names lzcmp and lzdiff are provided for backward compatibility with LZMA Utils. SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), xz(1), gzip(1), bzip2(1), zdiff(1) BUGS
Messages from the cmp(1) or diff(1) programs refer to temporary filenames instead of those specified. Tukaani 2010-09-27 XZDIFF(1)