Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Pinging IP located on another interface Post 302657307 by pludi on Sunday 17th of June 2012 06:48:55 AM
Old 06-17-2012
Simple answer: no.

Longer answer: The hosts connected to eth1 won't even know it's there, because without an IP it won't send a ARP announce, or react to an ARP request, which is needed to get the destination MAC address. In a switched environment the port it's connected to probably would even be ignored (except maybe for Ethernet broadcasts).

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. AIX

pinging IP's in a file

Hey all. I have a long list of IP addresses I want to ping. The IP's are located in a flat file "ping_info.dat". I was wondering what the best way to go about this would be. Can someone help me out? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalge2
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

pinging an ip

Hi, How to ping an ip from an unix machine. Can you please let me know the exact command. I used and i got the below error ping 171.18.17.2 bash: ping: command not found Thanks n regards Ammu (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ammu
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Command line Interface or GUI Interface not shown on solaris

Dear all, I am a newbie in solaris and I need your advice. I have a Solaris version 5.9 installed on Sunfire V240. I am able to ssh the machine from putty remotely. My problem is that I cannot see the display from KVM switch I have connected to it. I need also to be able to see the GUI... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbouster
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Forking and Pinging

Keep in mind that I haven't done Perl scripting for a LONG time, so I'm quite rusty. This is what I would like to do: - using fork, create 3 or 4 processes to read 3 or 4 different text documents containing server names or IP addresses - in each of those processes, Perl will ping each of those... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kooshi
7 Replies

5. SCO

Change SCO - GUI or Desktop interface to DOS based interface

Hi all I have installed a demo version of SCO OpenServer 5.0.2, I finally found it is Desktop Interface, I would like to know how to change its interface to dos based interface? If you have any ideas, please tell me then. Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TinhNhi
2 Replies

6. Solaris

Server Pinging Problem

Dear all, I face some problem as below. I have a sun fire 280r server in a network. From that server i am able to ping any system in any network. But i am facing the problem when i try to ping the server from outside netwok. Once i give ping command in the server then only i try to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudhansu
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pinging a domain

how can you ping a domain and store the ip? like given a url in a variable $url how can i ping it? also how can i find the local server's ip address on a cpanel server? (i have multiple servers and didnt want to hard code it in) (basically i want to check the domain accounts on the server,... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanessafan99
11 Replies

8. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

Pinging Host

I need to ping websites and I need to see which one has the highest delay. My problem is I need to extract the name Facebook and the time=74.0 ms using awk. I need help doing this please... PING facebook.com (173.252.90.36) 56(84) bytes of data. 64 bytes from... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 5sku5
5 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Script for pinging continuously

Hi, I need to set up a script that would write the results of the ping command from one AIX server to another file may be every minute. Like this I need to gather the data for a period of 24 hours. Can someone please help me with this? G (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
5 Replies
ARPING(8)						 System Manager's Manual: iputils						 ARPING(8)

NAME
arping - send ARP REQUEST to a neighbour host SYNOPSIS
arping [ -AbDfhqUV] [ -c count] [ -w deadline] [ -s source] -I interface destination DESCRIPTION
Ping destination on device interface by ARP packets, using source address source. OPTIONS
-A The same as -U, but ARP REPLY packets used instead of ARP REQUEST. -b Send only MAC level broadcasts. Normally arping starts from sending broadcast, and switch to unicast after reply received. -c count Stop after sending count ARP REQUEST packets. With deadline option, arping waits for count ARP REPLY packets, until the timeout expires. -D Duplicate address detection mode (DAD). See RFC2131, 4.4.1. Returns 0, if DAD succeeded i.e. no replies are received -f Finish after the first reply confirming that target is alive. -I interface Name of network device where to send ARP REQUEST packets. This option is required. -h Print help page and exit. -q Quiet output. Nothing is displayed. -s source IP source address to use in ARP packets. If this option is absent, source address is: o In DAD mode (with option -D) set to 0.0.0.0. o In Unsolicited ARP mode (with options -U or -A) set to destination. o Otherwise, it is calculated from routing tables. -U Unsolicited ARP mode to update neighbours' ARP caches. No replies are expected. -V Print version of the program and exit. -w deadline Specify a timeout, in seconds, before arping exits regardless of how many packets have been sent or received. In this case arping does not stop after count packet are sent, it waits either for deadline expire or until count probes are answered. SEE ALSO
ping(8), clockdiff(8), tracepath(8). AUTHOR
arping was written by Alexey Kuznetsov <kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru>. SECURITY
arping requires CAP_NET_RAWIO capability to be executed. It is not recommended to be used as set-uid root, because it allows user to modify ARP caches of neighbour hosts. AVAILABILITY
arping is part of iputils package and the latest versions are available in source form for anonymous ftp ftp://ftp.inr.ac.ru/ip-rout- ing/iputils-current.tar.gz. iputils-021109 09 iINAON 2002 ARPING(8)