Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting When i am trying to execute export command within a shell script it is saying command not found. Post 302657239 by methyl on Saturday 16th of June 2012 09:05:03 PM
Old 06-16-2012
Let's lose all the surplus Shell syntax, remove, move, or correct many quote characaters, and just execute the command.
There is an issue with $TMPDIR because the value can only come from the login script. Let's assume that it has a value, otherwise every line mentioning $TMPDIR will fail.
I have no idea what is in /usr/atria/bin/cleartool but there is no possible way that a called process executed in this manner can change the environment of the calling process.

Code:
#!/bin/sh
user="test"
DIR="/bldtmp/$user"
VIEW="test.view1"
echo "TMPDIR before export : $TMPDIR"
/usr/atria/bin/cleartool setview -exec "export TMPDIR=$DIR/tmp"
export UNPACKDIR="$TMPDIR/unpackdir"
echo "After Export: $TMPDIR  $VIEW"

Assuming that /usr/atria/bin/cleartool is a Shell Script, it would need to execute in the current Shell environment if it was to change the current Shell environment.

Perhaps:
Code:
. ./usr/atria/bin/cleartool

i.e dot-space-dot-slash-scriptname

Last edited by methyl; 06-16-2012 at 10:14 PM.. Reason: typos and addenda

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell script to execute user command

I don't know why the following shell script doesn't work. Could you please help me out? #!/usr/bin/ksh test="cal > /tmp/tmp.txt 2>&1" $test I know it will work for the following format: #!/usr/bin/ksh cal > /tmp/tmp.txt 2>&1 However, I need to get the command from the user in... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: redtiger
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ExporT Command Not found

Hi All I am getting and error export command not found What can be the possible reasons for this and how do we verify those Please help me Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: networking
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

write a shell script to execute a command

Hello all, I have just started doing shell scripting. I want to read a file which stores the status of my job I have submitted on a cluster. The file looks something like this : ========================FILE============================= crab: Checking the status of all jobs: please wait... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: learn_linux
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Execute a shell script after a particular command is run

Hi, I need to run a script whenever the Cron file is modified. The requirement is whenever a user modifies the cron file, the script should run automatically. Can you please provide your inputs ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: harneet2004us
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

rm:command not found in linux Bash shell script

Hi All, Linux lxs3er06 2.6.9-67.ELsmp #1 SMP Wed Nov 7 13:58:04 EST 2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux Issue: While executing shell scripts in bash shell, following error messages are thrown: rm:command not found On doing little investigation, I added '/bin' to $PATH and on doing echo... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command not found in shell script - stumped for 4 days

Hello, I like to begin with :wall:.. literally... It has been 4 days and I have no idea how to fix it. Environment - AIX 5.3 I wrote a script to call on ssh to log into another box via PKA to do something else. If I run the script on the terminal, it works 100%. If the SAP customised... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: plonkagain
11 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ssh command to execute shell script in another server

ssh -q <hostname> /opt/tcs/satish/tst.ksh ssh -q <anotherserver> /opt/tcs/satish/tst.ksh tst.ksh has "nohup <command> & " when i execute below script , its throwing error as nohup can not be found ssh -q <anotherserver> /opt/tcs/satish/tst.ksh > log & can someone let me... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: only4satish
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to execute command after telneting in shell script?

Hi , I have to write a shell script to telnet to specific host and execute the admin command there. Please help me to do that. Eg : telnet hostname portno admin command exit (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arukuku
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to execute Oracle relocation command in shell script

Hello, I need to execute below command in shell script srvctl relocate service -d $database -s $service -i $avail -t $pref -f and also need to get the errors ,if any,in another file. What's the right way to execute such commands in shell script? Best regards, Vishal (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to execute application command in shell script?

friends, i have application commands to execute in shell script it is something like this. i will login with user data it takes me to $ prompt. Example given below login: data ps : xxxx $ MNSinput --this takes me to greater than prompt > > ops --this is command i enter this output... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: udaykrishna
7 Replies
asadmin-export(1AS)						   User Commands					       asadmin-export(1AS)

NAME
asadmin-export, export - marks a variable name for automatic export to the environment of subsequent commands in multimode SYNOPSIS
export [ name=value [ name=value]*] Marks a variable name for automatic export to the environment of subsequent commands. All subsequent commands use the variable name values as specified; unless you unset them or exit multimode. If only the variable name is specified, the current value of that variable name is displayed. If the export command is used without any arguments, a list of all the exported variables and their values is displayed. Exported shell environment variables set prior to invoking the asadmin utility are imported automatically and set as exported variables within asadmin. Unexported environment variables cannot be read by the asadmin utility. OPERANDS
name=value variable name and value for automatic export to the environment to be used by subsequent commands. Example 1: Using export to list the environment variables asadmin> export AS_ADMIN_HOST=bluestar AS_ADMIN_PORT=8000 AS_ADMIN_USER=admin AS_ADMIN_PASSWORD=password asadmin> export AS_ADMIN_PREFIX=server1.jms-service asadmin> export //to list the environment variables that are set AS_ADMIN_HOST=bluestar AS_ADMIN_PORT=8000 AS_ADMIN_USER=admin AS_ADMIN_PASSWORD=******** AS_ADMIN_PREFIX=server1.jms-service Where: the export command lists the environment variables that are set. In this case, the environment variables have been set to: the host is bluestar, the port is 8000, the administrator user is admin with an associated password, and the prefix is server1.jms-service. EXIT STATUS
0 command executed successfully 1 error in executing the command asadmin-unset(1AS), asadmin-multimode(1AS) J2EE 1.4 SDK March 2004 asadmin-export(1AS)