Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to count word occurrences, but exclude some? Post 302657051 by guruprasadpr on Saturday 16th of June 2012 01:36:39 AM
Old 06-16-2012
Hi

Code:
$ cat file
hi hello world
welcome to india
welcome to unix.com

Code:
$ cat black
world

Code:
$ sed -r 's/ +/\n/g' file | grep -v -f black | awk 'length>3{a[$0]++}END{for(i in a)print i, a[i];}'
hello 1
india 1
welcome 2
unix.com 1

Guru.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count occurrences and substitute with counter

Hi Unix-Experts, I have a textfile with several occurrences of some string XXX. I'd like to count all the occurrences and number them in reverse order. E.g. input: XXX bla XXX foo XXX output: 3 bla 2 foo 1 I tried to achieve this with sed, but failed. Any suggestions? Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ptob
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of occurrences of the word

I am a newbie in UNIX shell script and seeking help on this UNIX function. Please give me a hand. Thanks. I have a large file. Named as 'MyFile'. It was tab-delmited. I am told to write a shell function that counts the number of occurrences of the ord “mysring” in the file 'MyFile'. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: duke0001
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurrences in awk

Hello, I have an output from GDB with many entries that looks like this 0x00007ffff7dece94 39 in dl-fini.c 0x00007ffff7dece97 39 in dl-fini.c 0x00007ffff7ab356c 50 in exit.c 0x00007ffff7aed9db in _IO_cleanup () at genops.c:1022 115 in dl-fini.c 0x00007ffff7decf7b in _dl_sort_fini (l=0x0,... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ikke008
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count occurrences in a specific column

Hi, I need help to count the number of occurrences in $3 of file1.txt. I only know how to count by checking one by one and the code is like this: awk '$3 ~ /aku hanya poyo/ {++c} END {print c}' FS="\t" file1.txt But this is not wise to do as i have hundreds of different occurrences in that... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Word Count In A Script

I am in need of a basic format to 1. list all files in a directory 2. list the # of lines in each file 3. list the # of words in each file If someone could give me a basic format i would appreicate it ***ALSO i can not use the FIND command*** (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: domdom110
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Word Occurrences script using awk

I'm putting together a script that will the count the occurrences of words in text documents. It works fine so far, but I'd like to make a couple tweaks/additions: 1) I'm having a hard time displaying the array index number, tried freq which just spit 0's back at me 2) Is there any way to... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksmarine1980
12 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurrences in first column

input amex-11 10 abc amex-11 20 bcn amed-12 1 abc I tried something like this. awk '{h++}; END { for(k in h) print k, h }' rm1 output amex-11 1 10 abc amex-11 1 20 bcn amed-12 2 1 abc Note: The second column represents the occurrences. amex-11 is first one and amed-12 is the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX script to check word count of each word in file

I am trying to figure out to find word count of each word from my file sample file hi how are you hi are you ok sample out put hi 1 how 1 are 1 you 1 hi 1 are 1 you 1 ok 1 wc -l filename is not helping , i think we will have to split the lines and count and then print and also... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk or sed script to count number of occurrences and creating an average

Hi Friends , I am having one problem as stated file . Having an input CSV file as shown in the code U_TOP_LOGIC/U_HPB2/U_HBRIDGE2/i_core/i_paddr_reg_2_/Q,1,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,0,0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
4 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3)