Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed or awk command to replace a string pattern with another string based on position of this string Post 302656073 by vivek d r on Thursday 14th of June 2012 08:04:27 AM
Old 06-14-2012
oh.... hmmmm the file is very huge with thousands of records.... all of them are in single line.... :-( what to do now...
i gave the sample file to match the columns and show the format accordingly.. the original lines are as shown in my first post in the thread

is there any way so that i could put a next line after every ") Values" and "),(" strings in whole file...
or is there any way to modify the command which you gave?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the position of a string and replace with another string

Hi, I have a file named "Test_2008_01_21" The file contains a string "manual" that occurs many times in the file How can i find the positions of the string "manual" in the file Ex: if the string " manual " occurs three times in the file. i want to replace the second occurance of string... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bab123
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a string and replace the searched string in the same position

Hi All, My requisite is to search for the string "0108"(which is the year and has come in the wrong year format) in a particular column say 4th column in a tab delimited file and then replace it with 2008(the correct year format) in the same position where 0108 was found..The issue is the last... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh_248
15 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search for a string and replace the searched string in the same position in samefile

Hi All, My requisite is to search for the string "0108"(which is the year and has come in the wrong year format) in a particular column say 4th column in a tab delimited file and then replace it with 2008(the correct year format) in the same position where 0108 was found in the same file..The... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh_248
27 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in file with a string in a variable that contains spaces

Hi, i call my shell like: my_shell "my project name" my script: #!/bin/bash -vx projectname=$1 sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ='/'PROJECT_NAME = '$projectname/ <test_config_doxy >temp cp temp test_config_doxy the following error occurres: sed s/'PROJECT_NAME ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivelafete
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search a string in the file and then replace another string after that position

Hi I am looking for a particular string in a file.If the string exists, then I want to replace another string with some other text.Once replaced, search for the same text after that character position in the file. :wall: E.g: Actual File content: Hello Name: Nitin Raj Welcome to Unix... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace (sed?) a string in file with multiple lines (string) from variable

Can someone tell me how I can do this? e.g: a=$(echo -e wert trewt ertert ertert ertert erttert erterte rterter tertertert ert) How do i replace the STRING with $a? I try this: sed -i 's/STRING/'"$a"'/g' filename.ext but this don' t work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jforce
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to replace a string in a specific position

I asked this before, but my problem got more complicated. Heres what I am trying to do: I'm trying to replace a string at a certain location with another string. Heres the file I'm trying to change: \E I want to replace the escape code at the 3rd line, 2nd column with this escape code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tinman47
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Search for a string at a particular position and replace with blank based on position

Hi, I have a file with multiple lines(fixed width dat file). I want to search for '02' in the positions 45-46 and if available, in that lines, I need to replace value in position 359 with blank. As I am new to unix, I am not able to figure out how to do this. Can you please help me to achieve... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pradhikshan
9 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in XML file with awk/sed with string from another

Sorry for the long/weird title but I'm stuck on a problem I have. I have this XML file: </member> <member> <name>TransactionID</name> <value><string>123456789123456</string></value> </member> <member> <name>Number</name> ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cozzin
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string of a file with a string of another file for matches using grep,sed,awk

I have a file comp.pkglist which mention package version and release . In 'version change' and 'release change' line there are two versions 'old' and 'new' Version Change: --> Release Change: --> cat comp.pkglist Package list: nss-util-devel-3.28.4-1.el6_9.x86_64 Version Change: 3.28.4 -->... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
1 Replies
regex(1F)                                                          FMLI Commands                                                         regex(1F)

NAME
regex - match patterns against a string SYNOPSIS
regex [-e] [ -v "string"] [ pattern template] ... pattern [template] DESCRIPTION
The regex command takes a string from the standard input, and a list of pattern / template pairs, and runs regex() to compare the string against each pattern until there is a match. When a match occurs, regex writes the corresponding template to the standard output and returns TRUE. The last (or only) pattern does not need a template. If that is the pattern that matches the string, the function simply returns TRUE. If no match is found, regex returns FALSE. The argument pattern is a regular expression of the form described in regex(). In most cases, pattern should be enclosed in single quotes to turn off special meanings of characters. Note that only the final pattern in the list may lack a template. The argument template may contain the strings $m0 through $m9, which will be expanded to the part of pattern enclosed in ( ... )$0 through ( ... )$9 constructs (see examples below). Note that if you use this feature, you must be sure to enclose template in single quotes so that FMLI does not expand $m0 through $m9 at parse time. This feature gives regex much of the power of cut(1), paste(1), and grep(1), and some of the capabilities of sed(1). If there is no template, the default is $m0$m1$m2$m3$m4$m5$m6$m7$m8$m9. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Evaluates the corresponding template and writes the result to the standard output. -v "string" Uses string instead of the standard input to match against patterns. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Cutting letters out of a string To cut the 4th through 8th letters out of a string (this example will output strin and return TRUE): `regex -v "my string is nice" '^.{3}(.{5})$0' '$m0'` Example 2: Validating input in a form In a form, to validate input to field 5 as an integer: valid=`regex -v "$F5" '^[0-9]+$'` Example 3: Translating an environment variable in a form In a form, to translate an environment variable which contains one of the numbers 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 to the letters a, b, c, d, e: value=`regex -v "$VAR1" 1 a 2 b 3 c 4 d 5 e '.*' 'Error'` Note the use of the pattern '.*' to mean "anything else". Example 4: Using backquoted expressions In the example below, all three lines constitute a single backquoted expression. This expression, by itself, could be put in a menu defini- tion file. Since backquoted expressions are expanded as they are parsed, and output from a backquoted expression (the cat command, in this example) becomes part of the definition file being parsed, this expression would read /etc/passwd and make a dynamic menu of all the login ids on the system. `cat /etc/passwd | regex '^([^:]*)$0.*$' ' name=$m0 action=`message "$m0 is a user"`'` DIAGNOSTICS
If none of the patterns match, regex returns FALSE, otherwise TRUE. NOTES
Patterns and templates must often be enclosed in single quotes to turn off the special meanings of characters. Especially if you use the $m0 through $m9 variables in the template, since FMLI will expand the variables (usually to "") before regex even sees them. Single characters in character classes (inside []) must be listed before character ranges, otherwise they will not be recognized. For exam- ple, [a-zA-Z_/] will not find underscores (_) or slashes (/), but [_/a-zA-Z] will. The regular expressions accepted by regcmp differ slightly from other utilities (that is, sed, grep, awk, ed, and so forth). regex with the -e option forces subsequent commands to be ignored. In other words, if a backquoted statement appears as follows: `regex -e ...; command1; command2` command1 and command2 would never be executed. However, dividing the expression into two: `regex -e ...``command1; command2` would yield the desired result. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), cut(1), grep(1), paste(1), sed(1), regcmp(3C), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 12 Jul 1999 regex(1F)