Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Multiple file rename
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Multiple file rename Post 302655163 by Peasant on Tuesday 12th of June 2012 11:57:35 PM
Old 06-13-2012
Thanks for your information about -1

Considering sed, that's why i suggested the op to inspect the output before running it actually, since it's not a large quantity of files Smilie

I presume that quality of code to cover all variants (escape chars, double quotes etc.) would be somewhat bigger then one sed line.

Regards
Peasant.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with multiple file rename - change case of part of file name

Hi there, I hope someone can help me with this problem : I have a directory (/var/www/file/imgprofil) which contains about 10000 JPG files. They have a naming convention thus : prefix-date-key-suffix.jpg they all have the prefix p-20050608- then AAAA is a 4 letter code the suffix is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: steve7
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

mv command to rename multiple files that retain some portion of the original file nam

Well the title is not too good, so I will explain. I need to move (rename) files using a simple AIX script. ???file1.txt ???file2.txt ???file1a.txt ???file2a.txt to be: ???renamedfile1'date'.txt ???renamedfile2'date'.txt ???renamedfile1a'date'.txt ???renamedfile2a'date'.txt ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: grimace15
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename multiple file from file listing

I am new at Linux/UNIX programming. Here is my problem. I had one big file which I split using the command csplit -k -s -f april.split. april '/^ISA/' '{10000}' So now I have multiple files with names april.split.01 april.split.02 april.split.03 But I need the name of the file like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yshahiac
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple file rename (change in filename in unix with single command

Dear All, Please help ! i ham having 300 file with E.G. PMC1_4567.arc in seq. like PMC1_4568.arc,PMC1_4569.arc ...n and so on.. i want all those file to be rename like PMC_4567.arc ,PMC_4568.arc .. mean i want to remove 1 from first file name .. pls help.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: moon_22
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

For Loop To Rename Multiple Files Finds One Non-existant File

Okay so here's something that's confusing me: I have a script that's designed to remove the words "new_" from the front of any file except two exceptions and it looks something like this... for i in new_* do if ] && ]; then j=`echo "$i"|cut -c5-` mv $i $j fi done ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Korn0474
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rename multiple file names in a directory

I hope some one can help me I have multiple files in a directory with out extension like as below mentioned. But i want to change all the file names along .DDMMYYYYHHMISS format. And all files should have same DDMMYYYYHHMISS. Scenario: direcory name = /vol/best/srcfiles files in a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hari001
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple file rename

I've been googling for days but can't find a solution to this problem. I have a number of sets of files on a server file02.dat . . file12.dat /.../fred(1 to n)/bill(1 to m)/tony/joe/ in any "fred" branch there will be one or more "bill"s some joe/'s may not have a fileset and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sabreur
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple File Rename based on pattern - one line

All, I wanted to copy the files From: Daily_XYZ_TEST_1.csv Daily_XYZ_TEST_2.csv Daily_XYZ_TEST_3.csv Daily_XYZ_TEST_4.csv To: Daily_ABC_TEST_1.csv Daily_ABC_TEST_2.csv Daily_ABC_TEST_3.csv Daily_ABC_TEST_4.csv I have tried the rename command but it is not working (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alfredo123
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename Multiple Files

Hey guys, I am the definition of a newbie. I am in the process of trying to rip all my dvds onto a new HTPC I setup. While doing this, I am also trying to organize a bunch of other files I already have to proper naming conventions. So far I have just been naming each file separately (I am on a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ralze34
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to rename multiple file names?

Hi all, I need to rename more file name in one command or script. The files have this structure: XxY - filename.doc where X and Y are numbers and the x is the letter itself. I need to rename these files with this structure: string.S0XEY.filename.doc the string is a suffix that... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: idro
8 Replies
NWBPSET(1)							      nwbpset								NWBPSET(1)

NAME
nwbpset - Create a bindery property or set its value SYNOPSIS
nwbpset [ -h ] [ -S server ] [ -U user name ] [ -P password | -n ] [ -C ] DESCRIPTION
nwbpset Reads a property specification from the standard input and creates and sets the corresponding property. The format is determined by the output of 'nwbpvalues -c'. nwbpset will hopefully become an important part of the bindery management suite of ncpfs, together with As another example, look at the following command line: nwbpvalues -t 1 -o supervisor -p user_defaults -c | sed '2s/.*/ME/'| sed '3s/.*/LOGIN_CONTROL/'| nwbpset With this command, the property user_defaults of the user object 'supervisor' is copied into the property login_control of the user object 'me'. nwbpvalues -t 1 -o me -p login_control -c | sed '9s/.*/ff/'| nwbpset This command disables the user object me. Feel free to contribute other examples! nwbpset looks up the file $HOME/.nwclient to find a file server, a user name and possibly a password. See nwclient(5) for more information. Please note that the access permissions of $HOME/.nwclient MUST be 600 for security reasons. OPTIONS
-h -h is used to print out a short help text. -S server server is the name of the server you want to use. -U user user is the user name to use for login. -P password password is the password to use for login. If neither -n nor -P are given, and the user has no open connection to the server, nwbpset prompts for a password. -n -n should be given if no password is required for the login. -C By default, passwords are converted to uppercase before they are sent to the server, because most servers require this. You can turn off this conversion by -C. AUTHORS
nwbpset was written by Volker Lendecke. See the Changes file of ncpfs for other contributors. nwbpset 8/7/1996 NWBPSET(1)