Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Replace first 3 occurances of a character in a file for each line Post 302654285 by rsreejithmenon on Monday 11th of June 2012 01:19:40 PM
Old 06-11-2012
Replace first 3 occurances of a character in a file for each line

Hi all,

I am very new to unix - ksh. I want to replace some characters in a file with some other, but only for first three occurances for each line.
For eg:
the first 3 occurances character ']' has to be replaced with ',' in each line.

Please help.

thanks
Sreejith

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How would I replace the 9th character of every line in a file?

Is there a simple way to replace the 9th character of every line in a text file? Right now it is a space and instead I want to stick in a 0, every line is the same. Is there a quick way to do this in Unix? (Solaris) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace all occurances of a string in all file-/foldernames, recursively

I need a script that will replace all occurances of a string in all filenames and foldernames, recursively. Right now I have this script: for f in `find -name *eye*`; do echo processing $f g=`expr "xxx$f" : 'xxx\(.*\)' | tr 'eye' 'm'` mv "$f" "$g" done The problem is that tr... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheMJ
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurances of a character in a file

I want to find the number of occurences of a character in a file. How do i do it. Eg: $cat file1.txt Welcome to World of Unix. $ If i want to find the occurences of 'o' then I should be getting 3. Thanks. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merging lines based on occurances of a particular character in a file

Hi, Is there any way to merge two lines based on specific occurance of a character in a file. I am having a flat file which contains multiple records. Each row in the file should contain specified number of delimiter. For a particular row , if the delimiter count is not matched with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan_tuty
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace a word in a file only first 10 occurances

file.txt contains abc :-X 1234 :-X fjhfkf :-X ffwerw :-X fdfgetw :-X hwfhe89 :-X in the this file there are 6 occurance of -X i want to replace only first 3 occurances of '-X' with 'XY' and write back to same file. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nawazkhan77
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

read in a file character by character - replace any unknown ASCII characters with spa

Can someone help me to write a script / command to read in a file, character by character, replace any unknown ASCII characters with space. then write out the file to a new filename/ Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: raghav525
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace character only in first line of a file

Hi, I need to replace a character in a specific position in only the first line of a file (actually many files). Change T to a P in position 103. I'm on solaris and my implementation of sed doesn't have the -r capability. Thx, Tim (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: web-guy01
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove 3rd and onwards occurances of a character

I have a file with "@" in every line fdgfgddfg@sfsdfdsf@dfdfd@@vfdfsdfd@ sfsdfs@sdfd@gfhfgh@@ddffg@sdf@ srfgtfsdfs@sdfertrd@eergfhfgh@@ddffg@sdf@ wttrtrt@sdfd@sdfdf@@sdfdfds@@@ I need to remove all the fourth and onwards occurences of "@". so my final o/p would be fdgfgddfg@sfsdfdsf@dfdfd@... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shivdatta
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace multiple occurances of same character with a single character.

Hi all, Greetings, I have the following scenario, The contents of main file are like : Unix|||||forum|||||||||||||||is||||||the||best so||||||be|||||on||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||it And i need the output in the following form: Unix=forum=is=the=best so=be=on=it ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipanchandra
3 Replies

10. Solaris

Line too long error Replace string with new line line character

I get a file which has all its content in a single row. The file contains xml data containing 3000 records, but all in a single row, making it difficult for Unix to Process the file. I decided to insert a new line character at all occurrences of a particular string in this file (say replacing... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ducati
4 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)