Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Remove line breaks after a match Post 302654223 by dockline on Monday 11th of June 2012 11:51:05 AM
Old 06-11-2012
Getting closer. That removed the line breaks from the entire document, rather than just the line breaks after the match - "THE GREEN TABLE".

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove page breaks from a flat file???

Hi All, I get a flat file with its last field data splitting onto a new line.I got this program from Vgersh which when run would cancatenate the split data back to the end of the previous records.But this program fails when it encounters a page break between the split data and the previous... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kumarsaravana_s
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

any better way to remove line breaks

Hi, I got some log files which print the whole xml message in separate lines: e.g. 2008-10-01 14:21:44,561 INFO do something 2008-10-01 14:21:44,561 INFO print xml : <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <a> <b>my data</b> </a> 2008-10-01 14:21:44,563 INFO do something again I want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: csmklee
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Piped input to sed 's/\n/ /' doesn't remove the line breaks..

Using ls input as example.. ls | sed 's/\n/ /'outputs with line breaks, where I was expecting the \n to disappear. I've tried \r as well wondering if terminal output used different breaks. Is there a way to remove the line breaks without saving to file and then working from there? ----------... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: davidpbrown
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

remove non-alphabetic from a match line

Hey all, I want to remove non-alphabetic charecters from the line that have "Products from " for example a line like this: Products from LG (295) should just become like Products fromLG in the file, and then I would delete the remaining and it would be just "LG" tnx (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Johanni
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove line breaks in csv file using shell script

Hi All, I've a csv file in which the record is getting break into 1 line or more than one line. I want to combine those splits into one line and remove the unwanted character existing in the record i.e. double quote symbol ("). The line gets break only when the record contains double... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajak.net
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk-sed help : to remove first and last line with pattern match:

awk , sed Experts, I want to remove first and last line after pattern match "vg" : I am trying : # sed '1d;$d' works fine , but where the last line is not having vg entry it is deleting one line of data. - So it should check for the pattern vg if present , then it should delete the line ,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
5 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Page breaks and line breaks

Hi All, Need an urgent solution to an issue . We have created a ksh file or shell script which generates 1 DAT file. the DAT file contains extract of a select statement . Now the issue is , when we are executing the ksh file , the output is coimng with page breaks and line breaks . We have... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ayaskant
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

[BASH] read 'line' issue with leading tabs and virtual line breaks

Heyas I'm trying to read/display a file its content and put borders around it (tui-cat / tui-cat -t(ypwriter). The typewriter-part is a 'bonus' but still has its own flaws, but thats for later. So in some way, i'm trying to rewrite cat using bash and other commands. But sadly it fails on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Remove line breaks and extra spaces

Hi, I want to remove all extra spaces, line breaks . Need a new line entry only for term starting"array" For eg: my input is array(), array(), array(), and my expected output is array(), array(), array(), Is it possible using awk? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rsi.245
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove single-line breaks only in document

Regarding copy/pasted text of copyright-free book from archive.org (link below), in attempt to expand single-line-break paragraph text (not section headings or paragraph breaks) to wider right margin, Justify or Wrap in LIbreOffice is not working, and Find/Replace the paragraph mark ($) wraps all... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: p1ne
2 Replies
delch(3cur)															       delch(3cur)

Name
       delch, mvdelch, mvwdelch, wdelch - remove character from window

Syntax
       #include <cursesX.h>

int delch()

int wdelch(win)
       WINDOW *win;

int mvdelch(y, x)
       int y, x;

int mvwdelch(win, y, x)
       WINDOW *win;
       int y, x;

Description
       The  routine  deletes  the character under the cursor in the default window.  All characters to the right on the same line are moved to the
       left one position and the last character on the line is filled with a blank.  The cursor position does not change.

The routine deletes the character under the cursor in the specified window.  All characters to the right on the same line are moved to  the
       left one position and the last character on the line is filled with a blank.  The cursor position does not change.

The  routine moves the cursor to the specified position in the default window.  The character found at this location is deleted.  All char-
       acters to the right on the same line are moved to the left one position and the last character on the line is filled  with  a  blank.   The
       cursor position does not change.

The  routine  moves  the  cursor  to the specified position in the specified window.  The character found at this location is deleted.  All
       characters to the right on the same line are moved to the left one position and the last character on the line is filled with a blank.  The
       cursor position does not change.

The routines and are macros.

Return Values
       The and functions return OK on success and ERR on error.

delch(3cur)