Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Prevent terminal from closing after command execution Post 302654117 by tyanata on Monday 11th of June 2012 09:28:11 AM
Old 06-11-2012
Using && instead of ; in the command does not change the problem that if there is a exec tcsh in the end of line the settings loaded before that are lost.
I want to do
gnome-terminal --sync -x tcsh -c "cd <some_folder>; some_command ;" &
And terminal to remain opened after some_command execution.

If in xterm that is possible I can use it instaed of gnome-terminal.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to run a process after closing the terminal

i want to execute a shell script even if the terminal is closed. how to do? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakshmananindia
3 Replies

2. AIX

How to prevent an application from closing a file

I'm writing some software tests, & one of my test cases is to prevent an address space from closing a data file (file is closed & a new one opened every 15 minutes). I can't remove or rename the file while it's being written to, any other ideas to prevent a file from being closed - or at least... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasahl
4 Replies

3. Linux

Terminal Execution By Giving a Command

Hi Guys, I am using Red Hat Linux 5 and GNOME Terminal is available there in the Accessories menu of Applications. But I don't see any run command option which can be used to type the name of the terminal and execute it directly as I used to do it under Mandrake Linux wherein I would type... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: indiansoil
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

xterm closing automatically after command excution

Hi, I have a commands in a file called commands.file, I am using this file with the following commnad xterm -e "commands.file" After executing this file in the new xterm, it is closing automatically. I want to use that xterm after that. Please help me regarding this? :) ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaitubek
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Closing sockets with shell-command ?

Hello everyone. (I have found in this forum lots of infos about closing socket in c, and others lenguages but never with shell-command) Im developing a tool over tcl/tk; in this application i open a socket to communicate with a ada application. In the init script i open both programs (tcl... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: trutoman
2 Replies

6. Cybersecurity

prevent user from excute command

Dears I want to prevent users from doing spesific command "history -c" or "history" in general How can I do ? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: reaky
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Terminal is closing on exit in ksh

hi while executing the following script, my terminal window is getting closed if I enter a invalid option. I want the script should go back the the command prompt. how to do achive it. i execute the script as . ./test #! /usr/bin/ksh Printf " Type of Installer : \n\t\t 1. Whole Build... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vij_krr
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed command to replace with pattern except for text and closing parentheses

Can someone help me with a sed command: There will be multiple occurences in a file that look like this: MyFunction(12c34r5) and I need to replace that with just the 12c34r5 for every occurrence. The text between the parentheses will be different on each occurrence, so I can't search for that.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: missb
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to prevent command from deleted

Hi, I've been searching around for solution, hope that some gurus here can help. I'm using some commands in my shell script and I'd like to protect these command to be moved to another directory. For instance, cp currently in /bin/cp. If I move it to /bin/cpxxx, my script will not be able to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gklntn
3 Replies

10. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions

How to prevent sed command removing whole line?

hello, I'm using sed command to extract the text between 2 special characters which are /* and */ I used following command to do this. sed -n '/\/\*/,/\*\//p' file.txt But if the file.txt contains a line something like this, a=5; /* this is a comment */ the above command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginner_99
3 Replies
UL(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						     UL(1)

NAME
ul -- do underlining SYNOPSIS
ul [-i] [-t terminal] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The ul utility reads the named files (or standard input if none are given) and translates occurrences of underscores to the sequence which indicates underlining for the terminal in use, as specified by the environment variable TERM. The file /etc/termcap is read to determine the appropriate sequences for underlining. If the terminal is incapable of underlining, but is capable of a standout mode then that is used instead. If the terminal can overstrike, or handles underlining automatically, ul degenerates to cat(1). If the terminal cannot underline, underlining is ignored. During the translation some other special characters also get translated. E.g. TAB gets expanded to spaces. The following options are available: -i Underlining is indicated by a separate line containing appropriate dashes '-'; this is useful when you want to look at the underlin- ing which is present in an nroff(1) output stream on a CRT-terminal. -t terminal Overrides the terminal type specified in the environment with terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE and TERM environment variables affect the execution of ul as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The ul utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
colcrt(1), man(1), nroff(1) HISTORY
The ul command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
The nroff(1) command usually outputs a series of backspaces and underlines intermixed with the text to indicate underlining. No attempt is made to optimize the backward motion. BSD
August 4, 2004 BSD