Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Clock doesn't tick
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Clock doesn't tick Post 302653185 by jim mcnamara on Friday 8th of June 2012 01:25:01 PM
Old 06-08-2012
Replace the tiny battery (CMOS battery) for time and bios maintenance - not the big battery for the whole box. Save your BIOS config BEFORE you replace the battery.

I don't know squat about Sony, but this happens on other boxes when the little backup battery goes South. Example: you kept the notebook in the closet for a year, and decided to start using it again.

Tips for knowing when the CMOS battery is getting weak - by Iowaprodigal - Helium

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Clock Trouble

Hey ppl, i was wonddering, in mandrake, how to get the clok to display the time in non-military format....hehe thank you im just tired of looking at 18:00 hehe thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LolapaloL
2 Replies

2. Programming

clock() function

Hey all, i need a program to get the CPU ticks at certain points of my program. So, i thought about using the clock function, but i'm having a hard time figuring out how it really works. I wrote this simple program to try to understand it but it made me feel more confused: #include <stdio.h>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kastrup_carioca
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

clock change

Hi We had a AIX box built last year but was set to the correct GMT time, but using DST time zone. In march this year the clocks went forward without issues. (if I remember a couple of weeks early due to the DST zone) This year we decided to change the clock to the correct time zone before... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: markab2
0 Replies

4. Linux

kernel:how to modify and read the tick rate:HZ

hi, one of our customer is facing an issue with jiffies wrap up. on a 32 bit machine, the variable jiffies count upto 472 days. the customer's server was up for 472 days ('uptime') and to reproduce the same, i tried to change the variable HZ in linux-2.6..23.9/include/asm-i386/param.h from... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit4g
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Bugs with clock()

Hi there!!! Need your help in solving some tricky problems. Since clock() as such is buggy on SUN OS 5 we have started using gettimeofday() in our RTOS applications based on Solaris 9. The problems we actually encountered previously were - the applications kind of freeze/hang eternally on... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: smanu
1 Replies

6. Programming

problem with clock()

#include<iostream> #include<time.h> using namespace std; int main() { system("date"); clock_t start = clock(); int i=9*8; while(i--) { int j=9999999; while(j--); } clock_t end = clock(); double elapsed =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnbach
4 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Cannot see 'tick boxes' and other contents when installed programmes using Wine. Is there any other

Hi! I have installed ubuntu out of an error, a bit of frustration, a bit of annoyance and a bit of excitement! I am (was!) a windows user. I had windows 7 on my laptop. You might already know how famous windows is with nasty viruses. I got one too! Had no option but to get rid of the whole... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ubuntu_noob
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert tick to new lines

i can convert ticks to new lines using something like this: tr '`' '\n' < filename or tr "\`" "\n" < filename or vice versa tr '\n' '`' < filename or tr "\n" "\`" < filename however, this command seems to not work the same on every system. it works on ubuntu, and it works on redhat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies

9. Programming

Ardunio Tick-Tock DS1307 RTC Shield Basics

This arrived in the mail from China a few days ago and, for the small money, has been a lot of fun. Clock Shield RTC module DS1307 module Multifunction Expansion Board with 4 Digit Display Light Sensor and Thermistor For Arduino This board is a lot of fun for a few bucks. It has a low... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Neo
1 Replies
INITTODR(9)						   BSD Kernel Developer's Manual					       INITTODR(9)

NAME
inittodr -- initialize system time SYNOPSIS
void inittodr(time_t base); DESCRIPTION
The inittodr() function determines the time and sets the system clock. It tries to pick the correct time using a set of heuristics that examine the system's battery-backed clock and the time reported by the file system, as given in base. Those heuristics include: o If the battery-backed clock has a valid time, and is not significantly behind the time provided by base, it is used. o If the battery-backed clock does not have a valid time, or is significantly behind the time provided in base, and the time provided in base is within reason, base is used as the current time. o If the battery-backed clock appears invalid, and base appears non-sensical or was not provided (was given as zero), an arbitrary base (typically some time within the same year that the kernel was last updated) will be used. Once a system time has been determined, it is stored in the time variable. DIAGNOSTICS
The inittodr() function prints diagnostic messages if it has trouble figuring out the system time. Conditions that can cause diagnostic mes- sages to be printed include: o There is no battery-backed clock present on the system. o The battery-backed clock's time appears nonsensical. o The base time appears nonsensical. o The base time and the battery-backed clock's time differ by a large amount. SEE ALSO
clock_ymdhms_to_secs(9), resettodr(9), time_second(9) BUGS
Some systems use heuristics for picking the correct time that are slightly different. BSD
September 6, 2006 BSD