Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Creating a file where the owner and group is not root Post 302653095 by Corona688 on Friday 8th of June 2012 11:46:56 AM
Old 06-08-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
Explain exactly what you do word for word, letter for letter, keystroke for keystroke.
You have not explained in enough detail. I was not using hyperbole. I want to see exactly what your shell session looks like when you run that command. Use screenshots if necessary. Something extremely strange and quite possibly dangerous is going on for you to get root without asking when not logged in as root.

I also still want an explanation of where these files are being saved. Is this 'local folder' on a partition on a USB stick some such? That could explain it -- FAT32 filesystems don't have any users at all, and may just show everything as root...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

owner and group in Linux

I am bit unclear of how Linux was set in the real world, please advise me how it's supposed to be. When I log in as root and do a ls -l, I find: /boot, /, /var, /usr, /tmp, /home, /u01, /u02, /u03 and of of this partition is owned by root and the group also belong to root. Is that the way it's... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lapnguyen
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Can't change owner and group of a linux file

Hi, I don't know how the owner & group of a login file in redhat linux 7.2 changed to bache like, -rwxr-xr-x 1 bache bache 17740 Jun 20 02:05 login I am trying to change the owner and group to root by using #chown root login #chgrp root login But i am getting the error ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bache_gowda
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

permission, owner and group

hello I search a script (ksh for Aix 5.3) to save all permissions, groups and owner for all files. Because we work much to change it, and a mystake ......! So i want execute this script to save/ execute permissions for all files. If you have this script, thank you for your help ;) best... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pascalbout
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to set the name of the group and the owner while creation of the file?

How to set the name of the group and the owner while creation of the file? -rwxrwxr-x 1 root sys 1202 Dec 5 2002 abc.awk like here i need to set the name of root and sys to xxx xxx Any help is appreciated. Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehak
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating a control file for a group of files

Hi, We have almost 45,000 data files created by a script daily. The file names are of format-ODS.POS.<pharmacyid>.<table name>.<timestamp>.dat. There will be one data file like this for each pharmacy and each table.(Totally around 45,000) The requirement is to create a control file for each... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maya_Pillai
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding the Group Owner Name

Hi all, How can i find the group owner name...??? Thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mansahr143
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding the group owner for a file

How would I find out who the group openers is of a file? For example: > ls -l myfile -rwxr-xr-x 1 myronp hawks 20125 Oct 20 20:50 myfile How do I return just hawks. I could do this with a series of cut or awk, but is there a more direct way. The ls -g is better, but still... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dad4x
1 Replies

8. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

To identify the group owner

If I have to identify the group owner of an AIX group, what is the command to be used. Example: there is an mqadm group, how do I find the owner of this group? Please help. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
6 Replies

9. AIX

Files without owner and group

Dears it is normal that the below binaries stay without any owner and group I have checked it in many servers and the like the below /usr/lpp/bos.net/inst_root/etc/ipsec# ls -lrt total 248 -r-xr-xr-x 1 987 987 13589 Jun 29 2005 default_group -r-xr-xr-x ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: thecobra151
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX command to display Owner,Group,Root and Subdirectories list

Hi Team, Am a newbie to Unix. As I would like to see the Server Name,Owner Name ( not numeric form), Group Name ( not numeric ID), ROOT path. I would like to send this list as an attachment to my personal mail. Can any one please help me out to to resolve this . Here is the sample result... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vasuvv
6 Replies
dialups(4)							   File Formats 							dialups(4)

NAME
dialups - list of terminal devices requiring a dial-up password SYNOPSIS
/etc/dialups DESCRIPTION
dialups is an ASCII file which contains a list of terminal devices that require a dial-up password. A dial-up password is an additional password required of users who access the computer through a modem or dial-up port. The correct password must be entered before the user is granted access to the computer. The set of ports that require a dial-up password are listed in the dialups file. Each entry in the dialups file is a single line of the form: terminal-device where terminal-device The full path name of the terminal device that will require a dial-up password for users accessing the computer through a modem or dial-up port. The dialups file should be owned by the root user and the root group. The file should have read and write permissions for the owner (root) only. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample dialups file. Here is a sample dialups file: /dev/term/a /dev/term/b /dev/term/c FILES
/etc/d_passwd dial-up password file /etc/dialups list of dial-up ports requiring dial-up passwords SEE ALSO
d_passwd(4) SunOS 5.10 4 May 1994 dialups(4)