Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers [Solved] Renaming Multiple Files in Unix Post 302651149 by Pash on Tuesday 5th of June 2012 05:12:11 AM
Old 06-05-2012
[Solved] Renaming Multiple Files in Unix

I have mulitiple files in a unix directory e.g.

FILE10001.txt
FILE10002.txt

I want the above two files to get renamed as by a single command. I tried with mv but it does not work

FILE20001.txt
FILE20002.txt

Paresh

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

renaming multiple files

Hi to everyone!!. Here's my stupid question of the day. When I have to rename a file I use "mv filename newfilename". But what about renaming multiple files, for example if I want to add the prefix "old" to several image files (in fact it's what I wanted to do..). Thanks in advance.... :D (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: piltrafa
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

Can someone please tell me how I can rename a bunch of files at a time. I hava a directory that has 700+ files that are named *.xyz and I would like to rename them to *.abc . How can I do that with a simple command ? mv *.xyz *.abc did not work. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jxh461
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

hi, I've a machine running RHEL3,kernel version 2.4. i need to rename multiple files under one directory as follows: ls demo.c demo.S demo-1243.sw demo.xyz and now i need to replace the occurrence of demo with demo_1 for each of the above file. the tedious way is to go ahead and do mv on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amit4g
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

I have a bunch of files txt1.csv--2008 thru to txt3.csv--2008. If i wanted to rename these files all at the same time to txt*.csv-2008 what would be the best way to do it... Just need to get rid of the extra - in each file name.. not all files are going to be called txt*.csv--2008. Just... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jazmania
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

renaming multiple files

I have to rename 100+ files at a time on the server & was trying to use a script for doing that. I have used ultra edit to create a file having current filename & new file name as below file234.txt | file956.txt file687.txt | file385.txt There is no fixed pattern while renaming & would... (20 Replies)
Discussion started by: crux123
20 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming multiple files

I have multiple gif files in a directory with different names. How can i rename them to have this result: file01.gif file02.gif file03.gif . . . file0500.gif Thanks for your help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: netx
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming multiple files

Hi, Can we rename multiples files using find or awk utility? Now I am doing it using for loop and getting the file name and in side the loop using the mv command. Like ine need t rename all txt files to doc file. For example a1.txt => a1.doc a2.txt => a2.doc a3.txt => a3.doc myfile.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siba.s.nayak
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files

I have 34 file in a directory that all have different names, however, they do have 1 pattern in commmon. They all have "-10-11-2010" date format in the name. I want to replace the date in the file name with a supplied date or maybe even the system date. I am sure I will be using awk or sed to... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Harleyrci
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Renaming Multiple files

Hello, I have multiple files that I want to change the names to. Let's say for example that I want to rename all the files in the left column to the names in the right column: What would be the easiest way to go about doing this? Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Scatterbrain26
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming multiple files in sftp server in a get files script

Hi, In sftp script to get files, I have to rename all the files which I am picking. Rename command does not work here. Is there any way to do this? I am using #!/bin/ksh For eg: sftp user@host <<EOF cd /path get *.txt rename *.txt *.txt.done ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhilmil
7 Replies
dos2unix(1)						      General Commands Manual						       dos2unix(1)

NAME
dos2unix - DOS/MAC to UNIX text file format converter SYNOPSYS
dos2unix [options] [-c convmode] [-o file ...] [-n infile outfile ...] Options: [-hkqV] [--help] [--keepdate] [--quiet] [--version] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents dos2unix, the program that converts plain text files in DOS/MAC format to UNIX format. OPTIONS
The following options are available: -h --help Print online help. -k --keepdate Keep the date stamp of output file same as input file. -q --quiet Quiet mode. Suppress all warning and messages. -V --version Prints version information. -c --convmode convmode Sets conversion mode. Simulates dos2unix under SunOS. -o --oldfile file ... Old file mode. Convert the file and write output to it. The program default to run in this mode. Wildcard names may be used. -n --newfile infile outfile ... New file mode. Convert the infile and write output to outfile. File names must be given in pairs and wildcard names should NOT be used or you WILL lost your files. EXAMPLES
Get input from stdin and write output to stdout. dos2unix Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. dos2unix a.txt b.txt dos2unix -o a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt in ASCII conversion mode. Convert and replace b.txt in ISO conversion mode. Convert c.txt from Mac to Unix ascii format. dos2unix a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c ascii a.txt -c iso b.txt dos2unix -c mac a.txt b.txt Convert and replace a.txt while keeping original date stamp. dos2unix -k a.txt dos2unix -k -o a.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix -n a.txt e.txt Convert a.txt and write to e.txt, keep date stamp of e.txt same as a.txt. dos2unix -k -n a.txt e.txt Convert and replace a.txt. Convert b.txt and write to e.txt. dos2unix a.txt -n b.txt e.txt dos2unix -o a.txt -n b.txt e.txt Convert c.txt and write to e.txt. Convert and replace a.txt. Convert and replace b.txt. Convert d.txt and write to f.txt. dos2unix -n c.txt e.txt -o a.txt b.txt -n d.txt f.txt DIAGNOSTICS
BUGS
The program does not work properly under MSDOS in stdio processing mode. If you know why is that so, please tell me. AUTHORS
Benjamin Lin - <blin@socs.uts.edu.au> Bernd Johannes Wuebben (mac2unix mode) <wuebben@kde.org> MISCELLANY
Tested environment: Linux 1.2.0 with GNU C 2.5.8 SunOS 4.1.3 with GNU C 2.6.3 MS-DOS 6.20 with Borland C++ 4.02 Suggestions and bug reports are welcome. SEE ALSO
unix2dos(1) mac2unix(1) 1995.03.31 dos2unix v3.0 dos2unix(1)