Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Extract some lines from one file and add those lines to current file Post 302645659 by snreddy_gopu on Thursday 24th of May 2012 01:07:12 AM
Old 05-24-2012
Extract some lines from one file and add those lines to current file

hi,

i have two files.

file1.sh
Code:
echo "unix"
echo "linux"

file2.sh
Code:
echo "unix linux forums"

now the output i need is

Code:
$./file2.sh
unix linux forums
$
$./file1.sh
unix
linux
unix linux forums
$

i want extract that line in file2.sh and add it to first line and also execute that one.

i need following
Code:
$vi file1.sh
echo "unix"
echo "linux"
<script to exarct and execute some lines from file2>

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

extract specific lines from file

hi, how would i extract a range of lines in a file by using the line number? ex: file contains: 1 title 2 i want 3 this part 4 to be taken out 5 from this file 6 and sent to 7 another file 8 not needed 9 end of file In this case, i want to copy line number 2 to 7 on a new... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: apalex
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract lines from a file automatically. Please a Help

hello, hope you can help me: ive got a file called archivos The content or structure of this file is ./chu0/filechu ./chu1/filechu I extract each line from this file manually and redirect to a file, and it Works fine, so the command line is: awk ‘/chu0/ {print $0}' < archivos >... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need to extract few lines from a file and put it in another file

Hi all, I have a file which contains comments,dotted lines(-------),actual records etc.I need to fetch only the actual records and put into a new file neglecting/deleting other rows.I have a header record too which contains the column names for the actual records.i need to discard this too.how... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ganesh_248
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

extract particular lines from text file

I have two files file A which have a number in every row and file B which contains few hundred thousand rows with about 300 characters in each row (csv) What I need is to extract whole rows from B file (only these which numbers are indicated in A file) I also need to use cygwin. Any... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gunio
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract the lines from input file

This is the sample input file b 05/Jul/2010:07:00:10 a 05/Jul/2010:06:00:10 b 05/Jul/2010:07:00:10 c 05/Jul/2010:07:10:10 d 05/Jul/2010:08:00:10 e 05/Jul/2010:09:00:10 f 05/Jul/2010:10:00:10 h 05/Jul/2010:11:00:10 i 05/Jul/2010:12:00:10 j ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sandy1028
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract specific lines from a file

Hi, I have a file which contains DDL statements- CREATE TABLE, CREATE INDEX, ALTER TABLE etc. I have to only pick CREATE TABLE statements from the file- Source : ---------------------------------------------- --DDL for table abc -------------------------------------------- CREATE TABLE... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: newb
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract particular lines from a file

Hi all, I have a file with many records with information as given below ID A16L2_HUMAN Reviewed; 619 AA. AC Q8NAA4; A5PL30; B2RPK5; Q658V4; Q6PID3; Q8NBG0; DT 20-MAY-2008, integrated into UniProtKB/Swiss-Prot. DT 20-MAY-2008, sequence version 2. DT ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kaav06
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract certain lines from a file?

Hi guys I have a several thousands line file in the following format: n817 -------------------------------------------------- n842 -------------------------------------------------- n877 -------------------------------------------------- n513 /bb/data/rmt2db.lrl:JBSKDB 31915 75... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to extract certain lines from big file

Hi All, I am trying to get some lines from a file i did it with while-do-loop. since the files are huge it is taking much time. now i want to make it faster. The requirement is the file will be having 1 million lines. The format is like below. ##transaction, , , ,blah, blah... (38 Replies)
Discussion started by: mad man
38 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract lines from a file

Hi all; Here is my file which contains a list of files (recent versions of files are in red). This file is dynamic, files versions can change at any time (versions can increment) filename ------------------------------------------------------- ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur111
8 Replies
comm(1) 							   User Commands							   comm(1)

NAME
comm - select or reject lines common to two files SYNOPSIS
comm [-123] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
The comm utility reads file1 and file2, which must be ordered in the current collating sequence, and produces three text columns as output: lines only in file1; lines only in file2; and lines in both files. If the input files were ordered according to the collating sequence of the current locale, the lines written will be in the collating sequence of the original lines. If not, the results are unspecified. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -1 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file1. -2 Suppresses the output column of lines unique to file2. -3 Suppresses the output column of lines duplicated in file1 and file2. OPERANDS
The following operands are supported: file1 A path name of the first file to be compared. If file1 is -, the standard input is used. file2 A path name of the second file to be compared. If file2 is -, the standard input is used. USAGE
See largefile(5) for the description of the behavior of comm when encountering files greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). EXAMPLES
Example 1: Printing a list of utilities specified by files If file1, file2, and file3 each contain a sorted list of utilities, the command example% comm -23 file1 file2 | comm -23 - file3 prints a list of utilities in file1 not specified by either of the other files. The entry: example% comm -12 file1 file2 | comm -12 - file3 prints a list of utilities specified by all three files. And the entry: example% comm -12 file2 file3 | comm -23 -file1 prints a list of utilities specified by both file2 and file3, but not specified in file1. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
See environ(5) for descriptions of the following environment variables that affect the execution of comm: LANG, LC_ALL, LC_COLLATE, LC_CTYPE, LC_MESSAGES, and NLSPATH. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 All input files were successfully output as specified. >0 An error occurred. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWesu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |CSI |enabled | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
cmp(1), diff(1), sort(1), uniq(1), attributes(5), environ(5), largefile(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 3 Mar 2004 comm(1)