Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris After command setenv auto-boot false machine's console not displaying Post 302645375 by fpmurphy on Wednesday 23rd of May 2012 09:42:25 AM
Old 05-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboys
you manually poweroff .and power on ... it taking 15mis for ok prompt..
I notice that that you said the same thing in another post recently. It may or may not take 15 minutes to get to an OK prompt. In most cases it only takes a couple of minutes.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Auto Boot

Ok when i reboot my machine its a pain in the A** i do not have a monitor on it and i know its going to eventualy ask me to type BOot and then its going to ask me if i want to interact with the........ and then it will boot up fine... Hp UX 11i is what i am running and i would like it to boot... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bbutler3295
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

terminal emulation displaying in machine language

I entered the command cat 401328 in an attempt to see a file. Now, my screen is displaying machine language. The properties of the file say that it is a postgres application. Is there a command I can enter so everything gets back to normal? Thanks, (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Debbie
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

at crontab tcsh setenv: command not found

i have written a script "master.shell" which is in the path: /a/homes.surrey.ac.uk/pgt_fs_002/bl00001/phd/griddata/shell/master.shell ==================================== #/usr/local/bin/tcsh setenv GLOBUS_LOCATION /grid/software/globus3 setenv PATH... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: binbintriangel
1 Replies

4. HP-UX

help auto starting app on boot

Hi I need a bit of help figuring out how to auto start an application on boot on an HPUX. I am a fairly exp AIX guy now working an HP shop. I use to change a /etc/rc... file. Any advise would be a great help TIA. –K If it is a help the program is a DB and runs as root /usr/ud{##}/startud... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: KmJohnson
3 Replies

5. Solaris

Auto fsck -y at boot

Does anyone know how or if its possible to automatically run fsck -y at boot if the initial fsck check finds that there has been data lost. Usually the initial fsck check will fix low level inconsistencies but if it finds that data has been lost it will put you into single user mode for you to log... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: tazzy
6 Replies

6. SCO

SCO console login auto fills *

OS: SCO Openr Server 6.0 MP4 HW: Dell R710 Server When I try to login to the console, the login prompt keeps filling with * even when I presss enter after the password prompt the login starts filling automatically with the multiple asterisks. This is happening on the console only and if I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: atish0
0 Replies

7. Linux

Problem in displaying message on RHEL6 on EFI during PXE boot

Hi, I am doing PXE boot for RHEL6.4 on EFI and want to display custom messsage before loading vmlinuz and initrd.img, which is not working. boot server side (In case of BIOS client): In /var/lib/tftpboot/default file I am putting the message in below format: SAY hello world boot... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: indus123
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

1 Command - 2 Behaviours and a wrong false message

Heyas As there was a splitting issue with TUI 0.6.6-x focused around tui-status since the 'solaris' (not really but for that purpose) update, the urge was given to do this first. Well, the splitting 'bug' should be fixed, i hope. But i've found a new one. When i start the very same script... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

Disable xen machine to auto start on reboot

Hello Guys - I need to disable xen server not to start when the server is rebooted. 1) What is the parameter to be used to do this..below is the entry in my config file... on_reboot = "restart" 2) What is the default behaviors of the xen on reboot ? in case we comment this line from config... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Howto auto boot SPARC | How to auto supply "start /SYS" and "start /SP/console" commands

When I power ON my T4-1, I got a prompt -> where I have to start /SYS and start /SP/console. How can I auto supply these two commands ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: z_haseeb
3 Replies
SHUTDOWN(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       SHUTDOWN(8)

NAME
shutdown, poweroff -- close down the system at a given time SYNOPSIS
shutdown [-] [-h | -p | -r | -k] [-o [-n]] time [warning-message ...] poweroff DESCRIPTION
The shutdown utility provides an automated shutdown procedure for super-users to nicely notify users when the system is shutting down, saving them from system administrators, hackers, and gurus, who would otherwise not bother with such niceties. The following options are available: -h The system is halted at the specified time. -p The system is halted and the power is turned off (hardware support required) at the specified time. -r The system is rebooted at the specified time. -k Kick everybody off. The -k option does not actually halt the system, but leaves the system multi-user with logins disabled (for all but super-user). -o If one of the -h, -p or -r options are specified, shutdown will execute halt(8) or reboot(8) instead of sending a signal to init(8). -n If the -o option is specified, prevent the file system cache from being flushed by passing -n to halt(8) or reboot(8). This option should probably not be used. time Time is the time at which shutdown will bring the system down and may be the case-insensitive word now (indicating an immediate shut- down) or a future time in one of two formats: +number, or yymmddhhmm, where the year, month, and day may be defaulted to the current system values. The first form brings the system down in number minutes and the second at the absolute time specified. +number may be specified in units other than minutes by appending the corresponding suffix: ``s'', ``sec'', ``m'', ``min''. ``h'', ``hour''. warning-message Any other arguments comprise the warning message that is broadcast to users currently logged into the system. - If '-' is supplied as an option, the warning message is read from the standard input. At intervals, becoming more frequent as apocalypse approaches and starting at ten hours before shutdown, warning messages are displayed on the terminals of all users logged in. Five minutes before shutdown, or immediately if shutdown is in less than 5 minutes, logins are dis- abled by creating /var/run/nologin and copying the warning message there. If this file exists when a user attempts to log in, login(1) prints its contents and exits. The file is removed just before shutdown exits. At shutdown time a message is written to the system log, containing the time of shutdown, the person who initiated the shutdown and the rea- son. The corresponding signal is then sent to init(8) to respectively halt, reboot or bring the system down to single-user state (depending on the above options). The time of the shutdown and the warning message are placed in /var/run/nologin and should be used to inform the users about when the system will be back up and why it is going down (or anything else). A scheduled shutdown can be canceled by killing the shutdown process (a SIGTERM should suffice). The /var/run/nologin file that shutdown created will be removed automatically. When run without options, the shutdown utility will place the system into single user mode at the time specified. Calling ``poweroff'' is equivalent to running: shutdown -p now FILES
/var/run/nologin tells login(1) not to let anyone log in EXAMPLES
Reboot the system in 30 minutes and display a warning message on the terminals of all users currently logged in: # shutdown -r +30 "System will reboot" COMPATIBILITY
The hours and minutes in the second time format may be separated by a colon (``:'') for backward compatibility. SEE ALSO
kill(1), login(1), wall(1), nologin(5), halt(8), init(8), reboot(8) HISTORY
The shutdown utility appeared in 4.0BSD. BSD
December 15, 2014 BSD