Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Converting grep to awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Converting grep to awk Post 302644807 by dagamier on Tuesday 22nd of May 2012 12:39:12 PM
Old 05-22-2012
Here is a full code snippet of what i'm trying to convert. Note that I am currently using grep in a while look and reading through a file with millions of records make this take quite a long time to complete:

Code:
while read LINE
do
   REC13=`echo $LINE |cut -d"|" -f9 |grep -ih '[[:alnum:]]\{2,3\}"//"[[:alnum:]]\{6\}'`
   if [ -n "$REC13" ]
   then
        echo $LINE >> ./$PRVYR/$MONTH/mislabeled/$MONTH-mislabeled.csv
   fi
done < INFILE

This particular record looks for these strings: CCC//SSSSSS or CC//SSSSSS

My goal is to try and convert this into an awk command.

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Code tags for code, please.

Last edited by Corona688; 05-22-2012 at 01:48 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting a line into a list using awk or sed

Hello, I am trying to convert a line into a list using awk or sed. Line: 345 897 567 098 123 output: 345 897 567 098 123 thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: smarones
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Converting HP-UX awk to Solaris

Hi, I am using awk in HP-UX to enter an encrypted entry of the password into /etc/passwd with success, this is the command I am using and it is working great. cat /tmp/passwd.gal.before|awk -F: -v gal_passwd="encrypted_password" '{OFS=":" ; print $1,gal_passwd,$3,$4,$5,$6,$7}' >... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: galuzan
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting txt file into CSV using awk or sed

Hello folks I have a txt file of information about journal articles from different fields. I need to convert this information into a format that is easier for computers to manipulate for some research that I'm doing on how articles are cited. The file has some header information and then details... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksk
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting to matrix-like file using AWK

Hi, Needs for statistics, doing converting Here is a sample file Input : 1|A|17,94 1|B|22,59 1|C|56,93 2|A|63,71 2|C|23,92 5|B|19,49 5|C|67,58 expecting something like that Output : 1|A|17,94|B|22,59|C|56,93 2|A|63,71|B|0|C|23,92 5|A|0|B|19,49|C|67,58 (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: fastlane3000
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - problems by converting date-format

Hi i try to change the date-format from DD/MM/YYYY into MM/DD/YY. Input-Data: ... 31/12/2013,23:40,198.00,6.20,2,2,2,1,11580.0,222 31/12/2013,23:50,209.00,7.30,2,2,3,0,4380.0 01/01/2014,00:00,205.90,8.30,2,2,3,1,9360.0,223 ... Output-Data should be: ...... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: IMPe
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting awk script from bash to csh

I have the following script set up and working properly in bash. It basically copies a set of lines which match "AS1100002" from one file and replaces the same lines in another file. awk -vN=AS1100002* 'NR==FNR { if($1 ~ N)K=$0; next } { if($1 in K) $0=K; print }' $datadir/file1... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ncwxpanther
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting shell/awk to ruby

any idea on how to get started with this: shell script: awk '/{/,/}/' ~/newservices.txt | while read line do BEGIN=$(echo "${line}" | egrep ":" | egrep "{") if ; then checkname=$(echo $line | awk -F":" '{print $1}' | sed 's_"__g') echo "{"... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using awk for converting xml to txt

Hi, I have a xml script, I converted it to .txt with values comma seperated using awk function. But I want the output values should be inside double quotes My xml script (Workorders.xml) is shown like below: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?> <scbm-extract version="3.3">... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Viswanatheee55
8 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Converting awk to perl

Hello. I'm trying to convert an awk script I wrote to perl (which I just started self-teaching). I tried the a2p command but I couldn't make sense of most of it. Here was the awk code: BEGIN{ FS = "," print "NAME\tLOW\tHIGH\tAVERAGE" a=0 } { if(a==0){ a+=1 (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Eric7giants
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Converting awk to perl

Hello. I'm currently teaching myself Perl and was trying to turn an awk code that I had written into Perl. I have gotten stuck on a particular part and a2p has not helped me at all. The task was to take a .csv file containing a name, assignment type, score and points possible and compute it into a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Eric7giants
1 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)