Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Selecting the file of latest Date Post 302643377 by Scott on Saturday 19th of May 2012 08:56:17 AM
Old 05-19-2012
Code:
vi $(tail -1 <(ls abc*.log))

Or if <(..) doesn't work
Code:
vi $(ls abc*.log | tail -1)

Otherwise
Code:
set -- abc*.log
vi $(eval echo \${$#})

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

get the latest file by reading the date in the filename.

Hi, I grep for a pattern in a list of files. "grep -i -l $pattern *.datx*" it may give me n number of files. say for eg, it gives me 2 files. lock_eicu_20071228_00000000.dat_20071228_05343100 lock_eicu_20080501_00000000.dat_20080501_05343900 out of these 2 files I need to get the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: prsshini
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep latest file based on date.

hi all, not sure if this has been posted b4 but i try to search but not valid. this is my question: when i do a ls -ltr there will be a list generated as follows: -rw-r--r-- 1 root sys 923260 Jan 10 04:38 FilePolling.41025.083TL021.xml -rw-r--r-- 1 root sys 1761337 Jan 10 04:40... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: lweegp
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

RSYNC syntax for pushing file with latest system date

OK, I am a little new to AIX 5.3 and also to scripting. I have a shell script that I wrote and am having difficulty pushing specific files by the system date. Here is my script: #!/usr/bin/sh RSYNC=/usr/local/bin/rsync SSH=/usr/local/bin/ssh KEY=<path> somekey.key RUSER=mike... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tfort73
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing duplicate rows & selecting only latest date

Gurus, From a file I need to remove duplicate rows based on the first column data but also we need to consider a date column where we need to keep the latest date (13th column). Ex: Input File: Output File: I know how to take out the duplicates but I couldn't figure out... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shash
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep the Content of a LOG File which has latest Date and Time

Hi All, Need a small help. I have a log file which keeps updating for every Minute with multiple number of lines. I just want to grep few properties which has latest Date and Time to it. How do i do it? I wanted to grep a property by name "Reloading cache with a maximum of" from the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvindraneel
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Needed shell script to get the latest file based on date

hi i need the shell script to get the file with latest date. for example in my input folder i have files like file_20130212.txt file_20130211.txt now my output folder should have the file with latest date i.e..file_20120212.txt i want to get the latest file .. i.e is should take... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hemanthsaikumar
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the latest file based on the date in the filename

Hi, We've a list of files that gets created on a weekly basis and it has got a date and time embedded to it. Below are the examples. I want to find out how to get the latest files get the date and time stamp out of it. Files are PQR123.PLL.M989898.201308012254.gpg... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rudoraj
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to pick the latest file with date as one among the file name.( not exactly present date.)?

i have files like 1)20131112_abc_01.csv and 2)20131113_abc_01.csv and 3)20131113_abc_02.csv when i try to fetch the file in the next day. it shud pick the third file.. plz help me.. and i use `date +"%Y%m%d"` command to fetch..it fetches the current date... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: applepie
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read latest file name with a date and time and then download from FTP

Hi All, Please help. I have requirement to read the file / folder based on the latest date and download the file and folder. There will be files and folders in the location like 20140630-144422 20140630-144422.csv 20140707-182653 20140707-182653.csv 20140710-183153... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Praveen Pandit
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Selecting latest entry in the log file

Hi there I am trying to write a script where I will need to look for a specific word in the log file and I am aware this can be done by grep for example. As there will be multiple entries for this I want to grep the last one to enter the log... how would I go about this - would I have to use... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: simpsa27
5 Replies
TAIL(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   TAIL(1)

NAME
tail -- display the last part of a file SYNOPSIS
tail [-F | -f | -r] [-q] [-b number | -c number | -n number] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The tail utility displays the contents of file or, by default, its standard input, to the standard output. The display begins at a byte, line or 512-byte block location in the input. Numbers having a leading plus ('+') sign are relative to the beginning of the input, for example, ``-c +2'' starts the display at the second byte of the input. Numbers having a leading minus ('-') sign or no explicit sign are relative to the end of the input, for example, ``-n 2'' displays the last two lines of the input. The default start- ing location is ``-n 10'', or the last 10 lines of the input. The options are as follows: -b number The location is number 512-byte blocks. -c number The location is number bytes. -f The -f option causes tail to not stop when end of file is reached, but rather to wait for additional data to be appended to the input. The -f option is ignored if the standard input is a pipe, but not if it is a FIFO. -F The -F option implies the -f option, but tail will also check to see if the file being followed has been renamed or rotated. The file is closed and reopened when tail detects that the filename being read from has a new inode number. The -F option is ignored if reading from standard input rather than a file. -n number The location is number lines. -q Suppresses printing of headers when multiple files are being examined. -r The -r option causes the input to be displayed in reverse order, by line. Additionally, this option changes the meaning of the -b, -c and -n options. When the -r option is specified, these options specify the number of bytes, lines or 512-byte blocks to display, instead of the bytes, lines or blocks from the beginning or end of the input from which to begin the display. The default for the -r option is to display all of the input. If more than a single file is specified, each file is preceded by a header consisting of the string ``==> XXX <=='' where XXX is the name of the file unless -q flag is specified. EXIT STATUS
The tail utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
cat(1), head(1), sed(1) STANDARDS
The tail utility is expected to be a superset of the IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2'') specification. In particular, the -F, -b and -r options are extensions to that standard. The historic command line syntax of tail is supported by this implementation. The only difference between this implementation and historic versions of tail, once the command line syntax translation has been done, is that the -b, -c and -n options modify the -r option, i.e., ``-r -c 4'' displays the last 4 characters of the last line of the input, while the historic tail (using the historic syntax ``-4cr'') would ignore the -c option and display the last 4 lines of the input. HISTORY
A tail command appeared in PWB UNIX. BSD
June 29, 2006 BSD