Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Prize of being an Admin
The Lounge War Stories Prize of being an Admin Post 302642935 by ananthap on Friday 18th of May 2012 08:26:49 AM
Old 05-18-2012
With AIX-LPAR and all, your's must be a very big and so procedure oriented organisation. So you really have two approaches. One described earlier. ie. Do but dont tell anyone, take care etc.

The other : talk about it to end users, see how you can repeat it again for their benefit. ie. see to it that you become the end users' goto person for problem resolution. Then with your favourite user, try to wangle a seat in a meeting with the authorised vendor and so on. spread your wings man (or woman).

For your information, a recent article I read says that in future more and more IT persons will be away from core IT departments and get embedded in end user departments as co-ordinators, implementors and so on. As and when this happens in your organisation (ie downsizing, out sourcing) you can make the jump.

OK

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

fresh admin

hi everybody i'm just recreuted as UNIX system admin... please tell me from where do i have to begin... best regards (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: hmaiida
8 Replies

2. Solaris

Tape Admin

Tape: Need tape library help please. Need to configure a remote admin card in the L100. Anything helpful.....thxs (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: uwinix77
2 Replies

3. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

note for admin

i left a message for admin in the wrong thread.. it is in the what is on your mind thread since i can't move it or delete it.. i thought I would mention that I meant it to be in this thread.. sorry about the mistake.. thanx for your patience moxxx68 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: moxxx68
3 Replies

4. What is on Your Mind?

Windows Admin switching to *nix Admin

I'm currently a Windows admin and have wanted to jump ship to the *nix side for a while now. I've been studying both through an lpic level 1 manual as I have time (focusing on debian), and a solaris 10 cert book. The problem is I only have a handful of hours a week to study, and my current job... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobwilson
3 Replies

5. War Stories

Prize of being an Admin - Part 2

I was reading this thread of admin_xor Prize of being an Admin and thought will share this experience of mine which is kind of opposite to what he did - I didn't tell anybody what happened :D We were porting one of the subsystem from Solaris to Linux. As part of that we developed many wrapper... (23 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahamed101
23 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

Regarding Admin life either as DBA or UNIX Linux admin

I am planning to choose my career as Unix/Linux Admin or a DBA. But I have come to know from forums and few admins like the job will be 24/7. I have few questions on that. Can we get "DAY" shifts in any one of the admin Job ? Can't we have shift timings in any company ? Eventhough the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jacktts
7 Replies
pthread_get_nice_np(3T) 												   pthread_get_nice_np(3T)

NAME
pthread_get_nice_np(), pthread_set_nice_np() - get or set the nice value of a thread SYNOPSIS
PARAMETERS
thread The thread whose nice value is to be set/retrieved. nice_val Value of nice to be applied to the target thread is returned (get function) or it specifies the new value of nice for thread (set function). DESCRIPTION
These functions are used to set and retrieve the nice value of an individual thread. returns the current nice value setting of the target thread and stores it in nice_val. adds the value of nice_val to the current nice value of the target thread. A thread's nice value is a non-negative number. The system imposes a minimum nice value of 0 and a maximum of 39 with lower nice values providing more favorable scheduling. If calling results in a nice value outside the range of 0 to 39, the value will be set to the nearest limit. A process must have appropriate privileges to lower a thread's nice value. The function allows individual threads in the process to have different nice values. returns the current nice value less 20 and will be in the range -20 to +19. The nice value of only system scope threads can be changed. An attempt to change the nice value of a process-scope thread will result in a return value of Calling on a thread that has a scheduling policy other than will have an effect only when the thread's scheduling policy changes to If a thread calls the system call to create a new process, the new process inherits the process-level nice value. Calling to create a new thread will result in the new thread inheriting the creating thread's nice value. Note If the nice value of the entire process is changed through or all the threads in the process will have their nice values reset to the new process-level nice value. The new process's nice value setting overwrites the old thread's setting. Thus its possible that a thread whose nice value had been set higher than the process-level nice value have its nice value lowered as a result of the process-level re-nicing. RETURN VALUE
Upon successful completion, and return zero. Otherwise, an error number is returned to indicate the error (the variable is not set). ERRORS
If any of the following occur, the and functions return the corresponding error: A process-scope thread was specified. The caller does not have permission to lower the nice value specified in nice_val. No thread could be found corresponding to thread. AUTHOR
and were developed by HP. SEE ALSO
fork(2), nice(2), setpriority(2), pthread_attr_getschedpolicy(3T), pthread_setschedparam(3T). Pthread Library pthread_get_nice_np(3T)