Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Using sed to change lines and add them if they don't exist.. Post 302639825 by Silentbtdeadly on Sunday 13th of May 2012 10:26:05 AM
Old 05-13-2012
I'm not sure if there is a rule against linking to a different forum, but if anyone happens upon this thread looking for answers, I got some really in depth ones here that should solve my problem:
It won't let me post a link, but as I said this is to be helpful - to this thread showthread.php?t=1647656 at xda

I for one get frustrated when I find so more posts on the internet that don't have an answer than ones that do.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Change password - User does not exist

When trying to change the password with the command "passwd" it returns that the user does not exist. passwd <USER> passwd: changing password for <USER> passwd: <USER> does not exist This is a Solaris 2.5.1 system. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryamada
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Add New Lines

Hello, I have a file that has data like this: one two three four five six seven eight nine ten Is there a quick way using sed of nawk to put each word on it's own line? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bestbuyernc
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed insert and Change lines help needed

Hi, How can i use insert and change command in ksh shell. I am using : sed -e '1i\TEXTTOBEINSERTED\' FILENAME But there is no effect... Also sed -e 'c\thisischange\' Filename Please Explain how to proceed?? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: JunkYardWars
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add lines with sed or awk

I want to get an output from the input as below: Input: ASDDS14 RXOTX-39-8 AB0991C TRY1900 AEDFS12 RXOTX-39-9 TK0991C TRY800 HSVDS11 RXOTX-389-10 LG0991C TRY1900 BSDDS09 RXOTX-394-0 AA0066A TRY800 OUTPUT: ASDDS14 RXOTS-39-8-0 AB0991C TRY1900... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aydj
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sed command for change special lines?

Hi, I want to add a character "#" in this few lines with sed command Initial: ### CACCIA: DEBUT ### if $(grep -wqi "$2" /etc/passwd); then chuser -R files registry=files $2 fi ### CACCIA: FIN ### Result with sed command: ### CACCIA: DEBUT ### #if $(grep -wqi "$2"... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: khalidou13
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove words from file2 that don't exist in file1

Hi I have to list of words file1 and file2, I want to compare both lists and remove from file2 all the words that don't exist in file1. How can I do this? Many thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: noliveira
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Change unix permission when I don't own the file

Hi, A file is transferred from a Windows server(say username : user1) to Unix server via ftp. In unix, the permission of the file for a user, say user2 will be "-rw-r-----". Since the user1 is the owner of the file, user2 is not able to change the file permission using chmod. Is there... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: merin
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add character to specific columns using sed or awk and make it a permanent change

Hi, I am writing a shell script where I want that # should be added in all those lines as the first character where the pattern matches. file has lot of functions defined a.sh #!/bin/bash fn a { beautiful evening sunny day } fn b { } fn c { hello world .its a beautiful day ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashima jain
12 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Add string into certain lines - sed

Hello all, I have surely an easy question - but at the moment I do not see the solution. All what I want is to add the string "/9201" within a file when a line starts with ":47A:". This is how a file look like: Information Tool :12:Delimiter :3:Space :47A:0329 :3:Space After the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: API
2 Replies
phones(4)							   File Formats 							 phones(4)

NAME
phones - remote host phone number database SYNOPSIS
/etc/phones DESCRIPTION
The file /etc/phones contains the system-wide private phone numbers for the tip(1) program. /etc/phones is normally unreadable, and so may contain privileged information. The format of /etc/phones is a series of lines of the form: <system-name>[ ]*<phone-number>. The system name is one of those defined in the remote(4) file and the phone number is constructed from [0123456789-=*%]. The `=' and `*' characters are indicators to the auto call units to pause and wait for a second dial tone (when going through an exchange). The `=' is required by the DF02-AC and the `*' is required by the BIZCOMP 1030. Comment lines are lines containing a `#' sign in the first column of the line. Only one phone number per line is permitted. However, if more than one line in the file contains the same system name tip(1) will attempt to dial each one in turn, until it establishes a connection. FILES
/etc/phones SEE ALSO
tip(1), remote(4) SunOS 5.10 14 Jan 1992 phones(4)