Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: help me find ubuntu basics
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers help me find ubuntu basics Post 302639715 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 12th of May 2012 11:34:28 PM
Old 05-13-2012
Follow rute user's guide only. The sysadmin stuff later on deals with lots of commands from different UNIXes. ubuntu is Linux. So it only uses Linux commands.

Example:
df works in Linux, it shows the free space on filesystems
bdf does the same in HPUX

So if you try the bdf command on your machine it won't work. Rute user's guide will take some time to work through. But it will all work. You have to start at the first page, you cannot jump ahead 30 pages and expect things to work. Why? Because YOU have to learn how to and why you "enable" commands by making changes to your PATH variable, for example.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX Basics

I want to learn UNIX, but I have a few questions. If anybody could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it. First, I've decided I'm going to use Red Hat Linux and I've been told the only difference between 7.2 and the Professional (besides the price), is the tech support that you'll receive. Is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paulSF
2 Replies

2. Linux

Command to find default font name in Ubuntu OS

Hi, Does anyone know whether there is any console command available to get the info of the default Ubuntu OS or any config file where in I search for the font details? I am using Ubuntu 8.04 and 10.04 (LTS) both together. Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
1 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

I want to find the anecdotes, ubuntu christian edition

There are such funny moments as: documents are saved by the grace through faith there are no daemons in xubuntu command chmod 666 is disabled (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xcislav
1 Replies

4. Ubuntu

Cannot find ubuntu on boot up

My brother (naughty) reloaded windows 7 on my computer and now I can not boot into linux. It now goes straight to win 7. What maybe wrong and can it be fixed. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: humphreyvn
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help me with basics

hello everyone i have to start with unix as it is a part of my training programme and i have to do a self study, i dont know where to start from. i need some basic questions to be answerd like why we use unix ? what is a terminal? what is an editor? why we write commands inside terminal? these... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aryancool
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find files associated with a package using Ubuntu

Stupid question of the day. How can I find a file that is associated with a package installed on my Ubuntu 12.04 desktop. More clarification, so if I: lsof -p 11399 java 11399 davider mem REG 8,6 438211 265067 /usr/lib/java/jre1.7.0_07/lib/i386/libt2k.so How can I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
4 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Unable to find WWN on Ubuntu 12

Hi All I am trying to get WWN from the FC adapters to provide to storage admin to provide me with some LUNs, but after some research on google I was asked to use sysfsutilstool, but when I try to install the deb package I got stuck on dependencies. the one that is giving me issues is : libc6.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
0 Replies
WHAT-PATCH(1)						      General Commands Manual						     WHAT-PATCH(1)

NAME
what-patch - detect which patch system a Debian package uses SYNOPSIS
what-patch [options] DESCRIPTION
what-patch examines the debian/rules file to determine which patch system the Debian package is using. what-patch should be run from the root directory of the Debian source package. OPTIONS
Listed below are the command line options for what-patch: -h, --help Display a help message and exit. -v Enable verbose mode. This will include the listing of any files modified outside or the debian/ directory and report any additional details about the patch system if available. AUTHORS
what-patch was written by Kees Cook <kees@ubuntu.com>, Siegfried-A. Gevatter <rainct@ubuntu.com>, and Daniel Hahler <ubuntu@thequod.de>, among others. This manual page was written by Jonathan Patrick Davies <jpds@ubuntu.com>. Both are released under the GNU General Public License, version 3 or later. SEE ALSO
The Ubuntu MOTU team has some documentation about patch systems at the Ubuntu wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PackagingGuide/PatchSystems cdbs-edit-patch(1), dbs-edit-patch(1), dpatch-edit-patch(1) DEBIAN
Debian Utilities WHAT-PATCH(1)