Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Combining multiple column files into one with file name as first row Post 302638019 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 9th of May 2012 07:40:46 PM
Old 05-09-2012
paste.

Code:
printf "s1\ts2\n" > newfile
paste file1 file2 >> newfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Changing the column for a row in a text file and adding another row

Hi, I want to write a shell script which increments a particular column in a row from a text file and then adds another row below the current row with the incremented value . For Eg . if the input file has a row : abc xyz lmn 89 lm nk o p I would like the script to create something like... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: aYankeeFan
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining columns from multiple files to one file

I'm trying to combine colums from multiple file to a single file but having some issues, appreciate your help. The filenames are the same except for the extension, path1.m0 --------- a b c d e f g h i path1.m1 --------- m n o p q r s t u File names are path1.m The... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rkmca
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help converting column to row for multiple files

Hi all, I am pretty new at this so be gentle. Also, if there is any chance you could explain what the code you use is actually doing, that would really help me out, Im learning after all :) So I am trying to convert a selected column of numbers from input file1 into a row in output file2 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: StudentServitor
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining multiple rows in single row based on certain condition using awk or sed

Hi, I'm using AIX(ksh shell). > cat temp.txt "a","b",0 "c",bc",0 "a1","b1",0 "cc","cb",1 "cc","b2",1 "bb","bc",2 I want the output as: "a","b","c","bc","a1","b1" "cc","cb","cc","b2" "bb","bc" I want to combine multiple lines into single line where third column is same. Is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samuelray
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk to print first row with forth column and last row with fifth column in each file

file with this content awk 'NR==1 {print $4} && NR==2 {print $5}' file The error is shown with syntax error; what can be done (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdfd123
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining columns from multiple files into one single output file

Hi, I have 3 files with one column value as shown File: a.txt ------------ Data_a1 Data_a2 File2: b.txt ------------ Data_b1 Data_b2 Data_b3 Data_b4 File3: c.txt ------------ Data_c1 Data_c2 Data_c3 Data_c4 Data_c5 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vfrg
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create multiple files from single file based on row separator

Hello , Can anyone please help me to solve the below - Input.txt source table abc col1 char col2 number source table bcd col1 date col2 char output should be 2 files based on the row separator "source table" abc.txt col1 char (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pratik4891
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Row bind multiple csv files having different column headers

All, I guess by this time someone asked this kind of question, but sorry I am unable to find after a deep search. Here is my request I have many files out of which 2 sample files provided below. File-1 (with A,B as column headers) A,B 1,2 File-2 (with C, D as column headers) C,D 4,5 I... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ks_reddy
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining certain columns of multiple files into one file

Hello Unix gurus, I have a large number of files (say X) each containing two columns of data and the same number of rows. I would like to combine these files to create a unique merged file containing X columns corresponding to the second column of each file (with a bonus of having the first... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ksennin
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to copy a column of multiple files and paste into new excel file (next to column)?

I have data of an excel files as given below, file1 org1_1 1 1 2.5 100 org1_2 1 2 5.5 98 org1_3 1 3 7.2 88 file2 org2_1 1 1 2.5 100 org2_2 1 2 5.5 56 org2_3 1 3 7.2 70 I have multiple excel files as above shown. I have to copy column 1, column 4 and paste into a new excel file as... (26 Replies)
Discussion started by: dineshkumarsrk
26 Replies
LAM(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    LAM(1)

NAME
lam -- laminate files SYNOPSIS
lam [-f min.max] [-s sepstring] [-t c] file ... lam [-p min.max] [-s sepstring] [-t c] file ... DESCRIPTION
The lam utility copies the named files side by side onto the standard output. The n-th input lines from the input files are considered frag- ments of the single long n-th output line into which they are assembled. The name `-' means the standard input, and may be repeated. Normally, each option affects only the file after it. If the option letter is capitalized it affects all subsequent files until it appears again uncapitalized. The options are described below: -f min.max Print line fragments according to the format string min.max, where min is the minimum field width and max the maximum field width. If min begins with a zero, zeros will be added to make up the field width, and if it begins with a `-', the fragment will be left- adjusted within the field. -p min.max Like -f, but pad this file's field when end-of-file is reached and other files are still active. -s sepstring Print sepstring before printing line fragments from the next file. This option may appear after the last file. -t c The input line terminator is c instead of a newline. The newline normally appended to each output line is omitted. To print files simultaneously for easy viewing use pr(1). EXAMPLES
The command lam file1 file2 file3 file4 joins 4 files together along each line. To merge the lines from four different files use lam file1 -S " " file2 file3 file4 Every 2 lines of a file may be joined on one line with lam - - < file and a form letter with substitutions keyed by `@' can be done with lam -t @ letter changes AUTHOR
John A. Kunze <jak@ucop.edu> SEE ALSO
join(1), paste(1), pr(1), printf(3) STANDARDS
Some of the functionality of lam is standardized as the paste(1) utility by IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2''). BSD
September 20, 2001 BSD