Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with deleting lines and saving them Post 302637727 by itech4814 on Wednesday 9th of May 2012 08:14:34 AM
Old 05-09-2012
Help with deleting lines and saving them

I have a directory question where I ask the user which entry he wants to delete...

Code:
echo  "Which entry?"
read entry
sed '/^'$entry'/d' file

This code does in fact delete that particular entry...
HOWEVER, when I go to inquire about that same entry, it still populates like it was never deleted. How can I fix this?

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment If you continue to ignore requests for code tags and don't read your related PMs, you will soon be banned cause of that; up to you.

Last edited by zaxxon; 05-09-2012 at 09:39 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

deleting lines

I am spooling a file from oracle and trying to delete the last line of the spooled file which I am unable to do. Problem is that this file can have multiple records each time and I have no way of knowing how many because the amount can vary. I had an idea of using a while loop to read the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: supercbw
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines

I am trying deleting lines from a text file using sed.. sed '/OBJECT="ABC/{N;N;N;d; }' will do if i have to delete lines starting with Object and next 3 lines but I was looking for a way to delet lines starting with OBJECT and all the lines till it reaches a blank lines ..or it reaches a... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajnabi
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting last 2 lines from the file.

Hi I have a file & always I need to remove or delete last 2 lines from that file. So in a file if I have 10 lines then it should return me first 8 lines. Can someone help me? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
4 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting whole lines from a file

I have a file with 65 sets of 35 coordinates, and would like to isolate these coordinates so that I can easily copy the coordinates to another file. The problem is, I've got a 9 line header before each set of coordinates (so each set is 44 lines long). There are a zillion threads out there about... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: red baron
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting lines and saving - awk

Hi All, I am trying to extract lines bsed on pattern matching../mp straight-flow/ Extracted output should be saved in meta_string , but the code is not working in that manner,saving repeated lines. can anyone please suggest where am i going wrong. /mp straight-flow/ {... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhaviece
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting processed lines

I have a log file that I am processing. This contains messages from and to a server (requests and responses). The responses to requests may not be in order i.e. we can have a response to a request after several requests are sent, and in some error cases there may not be any response message. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: BootComp
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting particular lines.

hi all, i have got a scenario in which i need to delete all the lines that ends with file names. e.g. input can be cms/images/services_icons/callback.png cms/cms/images/services_icons/sync.php cms/cms/images/services_icons and output should be cms/cms/images/services_icons ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifv
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting lines in ex

Hello, im using ex to manipulate some text. Im trying to delete all the lines except those on which a certain regex can be found. the important part of the script: ex temp << 'HERE' g/regex/p HERE this command prints the lines I want to end up with, but it doesnt delete the others.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: drareeg
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all lines except last 500

Hi All, I want to write a script which first check the line counts of a file if its more than 500 it deletes rest except the last 500.. I tried sed but it looks sed counts line numbers from the head & not from tail.. May be I need a wc -l frist then apply if statement & pass on the line count... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: ailnilanjan
17 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Saving first n lines of history

Say you want to clear your .bash_history except for the first 25 lines. Try: sed -i -e 26,500d .bash_historyI have a some frequently-used routines parked in the first few lines, and they kept getting overwritten by more recent commands. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xubuntu56
2 Replies
PAGESIZES(5F)															     PAGESIZES(5F)

NAME
pagesizes - HylaFAX page size definitions DESCRIPTION
The pagesizes database defines the page dimensions and guaranteed reproducible areas (GRA) for well-known page sizes. The GRA is the por- tion of the page that is guaranteed to be imaged during facsimile transmission. This region is typically less than the full page dimen- sions because of paper roller contacts and other mechanical aspects of the printing process in a facsimile machine. All HylaFAX programs that require page size information read the information from this database using a page size name. Documents should be prepared such that the full page dimensions are employed with the imaged area contained within the GRA. The system-wide default page size to use in preparing documents for transmission is given by the ``default'' entry in the database. (NB: the default entry should be placed last so that inverse matches find the real page size name and not the default entry.) The page size database is an ASCII file with the following format. Each entry consists of whitespace-separated fields: name abbrev width height gra-width gra-height top-margin left-margin Fields have the following interpretation: name the full name for the page size; e.g. ISO A4; abbrev an abbreviated version of the full name for use in compact listings such as the receive queue listing printed by faxstat(1); width the full width of the page; height the full height of the page; gra-width the width of the GRA; gra-height the height of the GRA; top-margin the margin between the top of the full page and the top of the GRA; left-margin the margin between the left side of the full page the left side of the GRA. The first two fields must be separated from the subsequent fields by a tab character (possibly followed by more whitespace); this is done to easily permit blank characters to be included in names. Otherwise fields can be separated by any amount of any kind of whitespace. Numbers are all base 10 and in basic measurement units (BMU); defined as 1/1200 x 25.4 millimeters for paper output with a scale factor of one. All fields must be present on a single line; otherwise the entry is ignored. Comments are introduced by the ``#'' character and con- tinue to the end the line. Page size database lookups are either by name or by page dimensions. Lookups by name are done by sequentially scanning the entries in the database for the first entry that has a matching abbreviation or substring of the page size name field. The string comparisons ignore case so, for example, ``a4'' would match a full name of ``ISO A4''. Lookups by dimension scan the entire database and return the page with the closest dimensions using a straightforward distance metric. If the difference in dimensions of the closest match is greater than 1/2 inch on each side, then no page entry is returned for a lookup by dimension. SEE ALSO
hylafax-client(1), faxmail(1), faxstat(1), sendfax(1), sgi2fax(1), textfmt(1). December 5, 1994 PAGESIZES(5F)