Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Using ANSI color codes in gcc compiled program Post 302632625 by kristinu on Monday 30th of April 2012 12:11:15 PM
Old 04-30-2012
I agree with you. Instead of calling fprintf, I will call your routines inside the functions I have created. Took me some time to decide how to approach things. I do like your method.

---------- Post updated at 11:11 AM ---------- Previous update was at 11:05 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
I really don't know what you want anymore. You don't want to pass them into the function because it becomes so many arguments, but you don't want to embed them in the printf command string either. One way or another, you need to tell it which parts you want to be what color and intensity.

I'd just use the aprintf I gave you instead of making 20 very slightly-different printing functions:

Code:
afprintf(stdout, "~&110--bracd~&R, ~&110--mindacc~&R=~&120DIST~&R\n");
// Or perhaps
afprintf(stdout, "~&110%s~&R, ~&110--mindacc~&R=~&120%s~&R\n", "--bradc", "DIST");

You could make macros for various colors, since you can stick strings together like

Code:
#define RED "~&110"
#define RESET "~&R"

afprintf(stdout, "This word is " RED "red!" RESET "\n");

Short of building an HTML parser in your code so you can do [RED]stuff[/RED] I don't know how to make it more convenient for you.
I wrote the different functions so that they take some standard color sequence instead of specifying the color everytime. Internally I will set the color sequence and then call your function to print the actual colored output.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

gcc compiled executable not working across x86_64 linux platforms

Hi I compiled a hello world program on two different 64-bit Linux machines, named quimby and node0331. When I compile on quimby and run on node0331 I get a "Floating exception (core dumped)" error. But if I do it in reverse, things work fine. Here's my compilation on quimby: $ uname -a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: same1290
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using color escape codes in less

Hi all, Not sure how "for dummies" this question is, but I'd better use understatement... A. My Environment ============== I am using RedHat Linux, version 2.6.18-53.el5. When I type less --version I get: less 394 Copyright (C) 1984-2005 Mark Nudelman ... My terminal is configured... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Source2Exe
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Regular expression on hex color codes

I want to have all hex color codes in a given stylesheet in uppercase, so #fff should be converted to #FFF for instance. Here is the regular expression I use to match and convert hex color codes to uppercase: sed -e 's/^#({3}$)|({6}$)/^#({3}$)|({6}$)/' main.css However, no conversion to uppercase... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
6 Replies

4. Programming

pthread_mutex_lock in ANSI C vs using Atomic builtins of GCC

I have a program which has 7-8 threads, and lots of shared variables; these variables (and also they may not the primitive type, they may be enum or struct ), then they may read/write by different threads at the same time. Now, my design is like this, typedef unsigned short int UINT16;... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: sehang
14 Replies

5. Homework & Coursework Questions

Calling compiled C program with Perl program

Long story short: I'm working inside of a Unix SSH under a bash shell. I have to code a C program that generates a random number. Then I have to call the compiled C program with a Perl program to run the C program 20 times and put all the generated random #s into a text file, then print that text... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jdkirby
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

zsh, prompt, variable expansion, ANSI color sequences

Hi! I am using latest ZSH and I have setopt prompt_subst I have a global hash array variable which contains some color definitions with color names as keys and 256-color ANSI codes (with %{ and %}) as values, eg %{\ePS1="$FG Hello World (%M) > " or PS1=$'$FG Hello World (%M) > ' then it... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: galanom
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Display file with escaped color codes

Hi, I have a file containing color codes: Fri May 25 17:13:04 2012: Starting MTA: exim4^ Loading cpufreq kernel modules...^How can I display it colorized on a linux terminal? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ripat
4 Replies

8. Solaris

Newly Compiled GCC 4.4.4 on Solaris sparc gives problem with -m32/-m64 flags

Hello experts, This issue has kept me busy all day long. It started off with openssl compilation which was giving linking error with following message: /usr/local/bin/ld: target elf32-sparc not found collect2: ld returned 1 exit status I tried every step possible thing that I could think... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: d_shanke
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk color codes based on condition

HI i have two files say test and test1 Test.txt Code: Lun01 2TB 1.99TB 99.6% Lun02 2TB 1.99TB 99.5% Lun03 2TB 1.99TB 99.5% Lun04 2TB 1.55TB 89.6% Code: Test1.txt Lun01 2TB 1.99TB 89.5% Lun02 2TB 1.99TB 99.5% Lun03 2TB 1.99TB 99.5% Requirement is to compare... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkitesh
6 Replies

10. Programming

Local variable in a C function is not getting created in stack when its compiled with GCC

Hi, I am working in UEFI EDK2 Bios source. We created a platform related new package in the EDK2 source. I find a strange issue with the platform related code we added. When I did source level debugging I noticed the local variable in a C function is not getting created in stack when its... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Divya R
6 Replies
set_color(1)							       fish							      set_color(1)

NAME
set_color - set_color - set the terminal color set_color - set the terminal color Synopsis set_color [-v --version] [-h --help] [-b --background COLOR] [COLOR] Description Change the foreground and/or background color of the terminal. COLOR is one of black, red, green, brown, yellow, blue, magenta, purple, cyan, white and normal. o -b, --background Set the background color o -c, --print-colors Prints a list of all valid color names o -h, --help Display help message and exit o -o, --bold Set bold or extra bright mode o -u, --underline Set underlined mode o -v, --version Display version and exit Calling set_color normal will set the terminal color to whatever is the default color of the terminal. Some terminals use the --bold escape sequence to switch to a brighter color set. On such terminals, set_color white will result in a grey font color, while set_color --bold white will result in a white font color. Not all terminal emulators support all these features. This is not a bug in set_color but a missing feature in the terminal emulator. set_color uses the terminfo database to look up how to change terminal colors on whatever terminal is in use. Some systems have old and incomplete terminfo databases, and may lack color information for terminals that support it. Download and install the latest version of ncurses and recompile fish against it in order to fix this issue. Version 1.23.1 Sun Jan 8 2012 set_color(1)