Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to substitute variable in sed for special character? Post 302632105 by Scrutinizer on Sunday 29th of April 2012 05:41:46 AM
Old 04-29-2012
Hello, could you show us what is on lines 4 and 5 of script.bash ?

--
please use code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed-Special character replacement

Hi I want to replace ./testsed.ksh with testsed.ksh ./ is to be removed scriptnm=`sed -e 's/\.///' $0 does not work Please help (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: usshell
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

read a variable character by character, substitute characters with something else

im having trouble doing this: i have a variable with 2 characters repeating e.g. aababbbaaaababaabbaabbba is there a way i can search the variable for a's and b's and then change a's to b's and b's to a's? im guessing its like getting the 1's compliment of the string im doing this in... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipervenom25
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Decode %s Special Character in Sed

Greetings, I am doing something that I don't know if it is possible... I have a file with a line looks like this: <%s \n%s / %s \n%s \n> and I am trying to replace this line with <%s \n%s \n%s / %s \n%s \n> in Shell script with sed command... StringToReplace='%s \n%s / %s \n%s \n'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wasabihowdi
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed special character replace

I need to do the following: text in the format of: ADDRESS=abcd123:1111 - abcd123:1111 is different on every system. replace with: ADDRESS=localhost:2222 sed 's/ADDRESS=<What do I use here?>/ADDRESS=localhost:2222/g' Everything I've tried ends up with: ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: toor13
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to replace the special character with another using SED

I have the replace the pattern in the file , ); to ); Could someone please help me to get this command. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohan.bit
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to replace special character using sed?

How can I replace the follong text including to number 7000? cat tmp0.txt Winston (UK) Wong I would the 7000 to replace Winston (UK) Wong. I fail with method below: sed ' s /Winston\(UK\)Wong/7000 tmp0.txt' (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivien_chu
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replacing special character with sed

Hi All, I have a text file that contains I1SP2 *=*=Y=M=D001D My requirement is to replace all occurrence of =* to =Z expected o/p is I1SP2 *=Z=Y=M=D001D I have tried with sed 's/=*/=Z/g' file sed 's!\=*!\=Z/g' file sed 's!\=*!\=Z!g' file sed 's!\=\*!\=Z!g' file but its not... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gotamp
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed add special character

Hi all I got test.test.test and need test.test\.test * I need the backslash before the last dot in the line I tried echo test.test.test | sed 's/\./\\./g' but it gives me test\.test\.test Thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: stinkefisch
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to handle variable with special character?

Hi Gurus, I have a requirement which needs to pass a parameter when calling the script, using this parameter to find a file name stored in master file. then read the file content. the issue is in the file name has a special character "$". don't know how to handle this. below is example: the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: green_k
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Substitute a character with sed

hi all, i'd like to modify a file with sed , i want to substuite a char "-" with "/" how can i do this? Thanks for all regards Francesco (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: Francesco_IT
16 Replies
RBASH(1)						      General Commands Manual							  RBASH(1)

NAME
rbash - restricted bash, see bash(1) RESTRICTED SHELL
If bash is started with the name rbash, or the -r option is supplied at invocation, the shell becomes restricted. A restricted shell is used to set up an environment more controlled than the standard shell. It behaves identically to bash with the exception that the follow- ing are disallowed or not performed: o changing directories with cd o setting or unsetting the values of SHELL, PATH, ENV, or BASH_ENV o specifying command names containing / o specifying a file name containing a / as an argument to the . builtin command o specifying a filename containing a slash as an argument to the -p option to the hash builtin command o importing function definitions from the shell environment at startup o parsing the value of SHELLOPTS from the shell environment at startup o redirecting output using the >, >|, <>, >&, &>, and >> redirection operators o using the exec builtin command to replace the shell with another command o adding or deleting builtin commands with the -f and -d options to the enable builtin command o using the enable builtin command to enable disabled shell builtins o specifying the -p option to the command builtin command o turning off restricted mode with set +r or set +o restricted. These restrictions are enforced after any startup files are read. When a command that is found to be a shell script is executed, rbash turns off any restrictions in the shell spawned to execute the script. SEE ALSO
bash(1) GNU Bash-4.0 2004 Apr 20 RBASH(1)