Sponsored Content
Special Forums UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers How to squeeze multiple pipe character '|' into single '|' using sed? Post 302628293 by Scrutinizer on Monday 23rd of April 2012 08:35:32 AM
Old 04-23-2012
@royalibrahim. \+ is a GNU extension to sed. You can use it but your command will only work with GNU sed..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in processing multiple variables in a single sed command.

Is it possible to process multiple variables in a single sed command? I have the following ksh with three variables and I want to search for all variables which start with "var" inside input.txt. I tired "$var$" but it just prints out everyting in input.txt and does not work. $ more test.ksh... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Single character wildcard for SED

Could someone tell me the single character wildcard for SED? I have the file below: $ more input2 AAA /A/B/C BBB /D/E/F CCC /G/H/I DDD I want to remove all strings which contain forward slashs "/" to get the below: AAA BBB CCC I tried to do it in SED by the command below but I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Matching multiples of a single character using sed and awk

Hi, I have a file 'imei_01.txt' having the following contents: $ cat imei_01.txt a123456 bbr22135 yet223 where I want to check whether the expression 'first single alphabet followed by 6 digits' is present in the file (here it is the first record 'a123456') I am using the following... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Putting multiple sed commands on a single line

Hi, I want to make sed write a part of fileA (first 7 lines) to file1 and the rest of fileA to file2 in a single call and single line in sed. If I do the following: sed '1,7w file1; 8,$w file2' fileA I get only one file named file1 plus all the characters following file1. If I try to use curly... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: varelg
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace multiple occurances of same character with a single character.

Hi all, Greetings, I have the following scenario, The contents of main file are like : Unix|||||forum|||||||||||||||is||||||the||best so||||||be|||||on||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||||it And i need the output in the following form: Unix=forum=is=the=best so=be=on=it ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipanchandra
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED - Multiple String - Single Line

Would appear to me to be a farily simple question but having search all the threads I can't find the answer .. I just want sed to output the single line in a file that contains two string anywhere on the line.. e.g. currently using this command sed -n -e'/str1/p' -e '/str2/p' < file and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: flopster
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining multiple rows in single row based on certain condition using awk or sed

Hi, I'm using AIX(ksh shell). > cat temp.txt "a","b",0 "c",bc",0 "a1","b1",0 "cc","cb",1 "cc","b2",1 "bb","bc",2 I want the output as: "a","b","c","bc","a1","b1" "cc","cb","cc","b2" "bb","bc" I want to combine multiple lines into single line where third column is same. Is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: samuelray
1 Replies

8. Programming

Multiple children and single pipe

Greetings everyone, I need a bit of help in solving the following problem: I'm given an array of numbers and I have to compute the sum of the array elements using n processes, and the inter process communication has to be done with pipes(one pipe, to be exact). I managed to solve the problem... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ephesos
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to grep multiple pattern present in single line and delete that line

here is what i want to achieve.. i have a file with below contents cat fileName blah blah blah . .DROP this REJECT that . --sport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable --dport 7800 -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable . . . more blah blah blah --dport 3306... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to repeat a character in a field if it's a single character?

I have a csv dataset like this : C,rs18768 G,rs13785 GA,rs1065 G,rs1801279 T,rs9274407 A,rs730012 I'm thinking of use like awk, sed to covert the dataset to this format: (if it's two character, then keep the same) CC,rs18768 GG,rs13785 GA,rs1065 GG,rs1801279 TT,rs9274407... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: nengcheng
7 Replies
SHTOOL-INSTALL.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool					     SHTOOL-INSTALL.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-install - GNU shtool install(1) command SYNOPSIS
shtool install [-v|--verbose] [-t|--trace] [-d|--mkdir] [-c|--copy] [-C|--compare-copy] [-s|--strip] [-m|--mode mode] [-o|--owner owner] [-g|--group group] [-e|--exec sed-cmd] file [file ...] path DESCRIPTION
This command installs a one or more files to a given target path providing all important options of the BSD install(1) command. The trick is that the functionality is provided in a portable way. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -v, --verbose Display some processing information. -t, --trace Enable the output of the essential shell commands which are executed. -d, --mkdir To maximize BSD compatiblity, the BSD "shtool "install -d"" usage is internally mapped to the "shtool "mkdir -f -p -m 755"" command. -c, --copy Copy the file to the target path. Default is to move. -C, --compare-copy Same as -c except if the destination file already exists and is identical to the source file, no installation is done and the target remains untouched. -s, --strip This option strips program executables during the installation, see strip(1). Default is to install verbatim. -m, --mode mode The file mode applied to the target, see chmod(1). Setting mode to ""-"" skips this step and leaves the operating system default which is usually based on umask(1). Some file modes require superuser privileges to be set. Default is 0755. -o, --owner owner The file owner name or id applied to the target, see chown(1). This option requires superuser privileges to execute. Default is to skip this step and leave the operating system default which is usually based on the executing uid or the parent setuid directory. -g, --group group The file group name or id applied to the target, see chgrp(1). This option requires superuser privileges to execute to the fullest extend, otherwise the choice of group is limited on most operating systems. Default is to skip this step and leave the operating system default which is usually based on the executing gid or the parent setgid directory. -e, --exec sed-cmd This option can be used one or multiple times to apply one or more sed(1) commands to the file contents during installation. EXAMPLE
# Makefile install: : shtool install -c -s -m 4755 foo $(bindir)/ shtool install -c -m 644 foo.man $(mandir)/man1/foo.1 shtool install -c -m 644 -e "s/@p@/$prefix/g" foo.conf $(etcdir)/ HISTORY
The GNU shtool install command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1997 for GNU shtool. It was prompted by portability issues in the installation procedures of OSSP libraries. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), umask(1), chmod(1), chown(1), chgrp(1), strip(1), sed(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-INSTALL.TMP(1)