Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Unix find and head command help Post 302627985 by agama on Sunday 22nd of April 2012 05:25:37 PM
Old 04-22-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by methyl
@agama
From the original post: list the first lines of all text files. Though I know that unix does not define file types by file extension, in this example the O/P has posted -name "*.txt in one example ... and I have copied it!
Some how I managed to get "all" stuck in my head, even though both examples and attempts referenced "*.txt". Good call, and I just need to read things a bit more closely. Thanks.
This User Gave Thanks to agama For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

head command

Hi All, How can the head command be used to extract only a particular line. By default head -n filename displays the first n lines. I want only the nth line. I couldn't get it from forum search. Thanks, Sumesh (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sumesh.abraham
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Little bit weired : Find files in UNIX w/o using find or where command

Yes , I have to find a file in unix without using any find or where commands.Any pointers for the same would be very helpful as i am beginner in shell scritping and need a solution for the same. Thanks in advance. Regards Jatin Jain (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jatin.jain
10 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

alternative for head command

Hi friends,I am new to unix and this is really a dummy question.but please help me out. How to simulate head command without using head command??? also tail command too,also more command. it is given as a homework to do....please tell me how to do (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhilneela
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

head command with more than one file

Hi, I have the following problem. I have files with one column of data (let's say file1.dat, file2.dat...file6.dat), and I would like to record the first value of the column of each file into another file (let's name it fileall.dat), which would have the the six values, one in each column. I use to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: josegr
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find and head -1

i have lots of files in /law/prod and /law/dev, such as AP20PD, AP20WS, AP20.scr, AP20.rpt if i am in /law DIR find . -name AP20PD, found in /law/prod and /law/dev i want to head -1 AP20PD from both location and >> /tmp/test.log can i use find and head in one line ? ----------... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjmannonline
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff/head - not sure if this is the right command to use

Hi, I need some advise on whether there is a better way of doing what I am currently planning to do. Perhaps I should be using arrays instead of re-directing output to files? I need to use a tool/program named ADRCI provided by Oracle to remove trace files that it generates. Honestly it is... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies

7. HP-UX

How to find the head cleaning history on HP HP MSL4048 1 LT0-4 Ultrium 1840?

Please guide me how to get the head cleaning history on HP HP MSL4048 1 LT0-4 Ultrium 1840. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: marunmeera
0 Replies

8. Homework & Coursework Questions

UNIX head command not working?

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a script that allows the user to print the first n lines or the last n lines of every file in the... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: lukefrost96
18 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Head command queries

we have a file as below AREA,COUNTRY,RANK A,MX,1 A,MX,2 A,MX,5 A,MX,8 A,IN,7 A,IN,5 A,IN,21 B,CN,6 B,CN,2 B,CN,8 B,CN,0 we need the TOP 2 RANK records for the combination of Area, Country as below. i know head -2, which gives top 2 records from file but not sure it lists based on... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: JSKOBS
7 Replies
DEBCONF-MERGETEMPLATE(1)					      Debconf						  DEBCONF-MERGETEMPLATE(1)

NAME
debconf-mergetemplate - merge together multiple debconf template files SYNOPSIS
debconf-mergetemplate [options] [templates.ll ...] templates DESCRIPTION
Note: This utility is deprecated. You should switch to using po-debconf's po2debconf program. This program is useful if you have multiple debconf templates files which you want to merge together into one big file. All the specified files will be read in, merged, and output to standard output. This can be especially useful if you are dealing with translated template files. In this case, you might have your main template file, plus several other files provided by the translators. These files will have translated fields in them, and maybe the translators left in the english versions of the fields they translated, for their reference. So, you want to merge together all the translated templates files with your main templates file. Any fields that are unique to the translated files need to be added in to the correct templates, but any fields they have in common should be superseded by the fields in the main file (which might be more up-to-date). This program handles that case properly, just list each of the translated templates files, and then your main templates file last. OPTIONS
--outdated Merge in even outdated translations. The default is to drop them with a warning message. --drop-old-templates If a translation has an entire template that is not in the master file (and thus is probably an old template), drop that entire template. SEE ALSO
debconf-getlang(1) AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 2012-09-10 DEBCONF-MERGETEMPLATE(1)