Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat High RAM usage, extremely low swapping Post 302624571 by mark54g on Monday 16th of April 2012 12:10:26 PM
Old 04-16-2012
This might help you out also:

Code:
vmstat -s -S M | egrep 'mem|swap'

Memory is faster than swap. If you have a lot of unused memory, then you are wasting it.
This User Gave Thanks to mark54g For This Post:

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

low RAM

Hy, I've an 486 dx2 laptop an I want to run unix on it, the problem is it has only 4 megabytes of ram, so my question is; does anybody know an unix based OS which runs with only 4 mb? thanx (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: counTnegaTive
7 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sun: High kernel usage & very high load averages

Hi, I am seeing very high kernel usage and very high load averages on my system (Although we are not loading much data to our database). Here is the output of top...does anyone know what i should be looking at? Thanks, Lorraine last pid: 13144; load averages: 22.32, 19.81, 16.78 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lorrainenineill
4 Replies

3. Solaris

malloc returning NULL if freemem high & swapmem low

Hi All, In my application malloc is returning NULL even though there is sufficient amount of free memory is available but swap memory is low. Is this possible that, if free memory is high & swap memory is low, malloc will not be able to allocate memory & return NULL ?:) Kindly look into... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ritesh Kumar
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

low & high values

on the file Ftp'd from the mainframe ,do we have any UNIX command to replace mainframe low and values to space or null. i tried using tr and it doesn't work ... Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rlmadhav
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Picking high and low variables in a bash script - possible?

Is it possible to have a bash script pick the highest and lowest values of four variables? I've been googling for this but haven't come up with anything. I have a script that assigns variables ($c0, $c1, $c2, and $c3) based on the coretemps from grep/sed statements of sensors. I'd like to also... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: graysky
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Split file into chunks of low & high byte

Hi guys, i have a question about spliting a binary file into 2 chunks. First chunk with all high bytes and the second one with all low bytes. What unix tools can i use? And how can this be performed? I looked in manpages of split and dd but this does not help. Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: basta
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Extremely high kernel CPU Usage (Solaris 10 SPARC)

I've got a domain running on a few boards of a 25k. I'm seeing very high kernel cpu usage in top and cant' quite explain it. System runs a large number of smallish Oracle 10g2 databases (30), used mainly for development. load average: 36.63, 36.68, 37.42 2489 processes: 2452 sleeping, 21... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: utopiajoe
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Kernel/ user space and high/ low mem

Need some clarification on this.... 1. how are kernel/ user spaces and high/low memory related? 2. What do they all mean when i have the kernel command line as: "console=ttyS0,115200 root=/dev/sda2 rw mem=exactmap memmap=1M@0 memmap=96M@1M irqpoll" or 2. what do mem and memmap mean in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dragonpoint
3 Replies

9. AIX

High Runqueue (R) LOW CPU LOW I/O Low Network Low memory usage

Hello All I have a system running AIX 61 shared uncapped partition (with 11 physical processors, 24 Virtual 72GB of Memory) . The output from NMON, vmstat show a high run queue (60+) for continous periods of time intervals, but NO paging, relatively low I/o (6000) , CPU % is 40, Low network.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: IL-Malti
9 Replies
allocate_fs_swapmap(5)						File Formats Manual					    allocate_fs_swapmap(5)

NAME
allocate_fs_swapmap - determines when swapmap structures are allocated for filesystem swap VALUES
Failsafe Default Allowed values or DESCRIPTION
The tunable is used to determine whether to allocate all needed filesystem swap structures during the initialization of the filesystem swap device or wait until they are needed. Pre-allocation of all filesystem swap structures upon initialization saves time during later usage of the filesystem swap, and prevents later allocation failure due to physical memory contention. Dynamic allocation decreases the memory footprint of the filesystem swap system. Who is Expected to Change This Tunable? Anyone. Restrictions on Changing Changes to this tunable take effect at the next reboot. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Raised? Systems under heavy memory load may not be able to acquire enough memory to hold the swap mapping structures for an addition of file system swap. These calls to add swap would fail with the error though presumably they would be retried. Frequent failure on file system swap addition with would merit enabling this tunable. What Are the Side Effects of Raising the Value? All the swap map structures for each file system swap device would be preallocated during swap initialization at kernel boot, increasing the memory footprint of the kernel. The amount of increase depends on the number and size of file system swap devices. When Should the Value of This Tunable Be Lowered? Systems with limited memory available to the kernel that also have limited use of file system swap devices should disable this tunable to decrease kernel memory usage. What Are the Side Effects of Lowering the Value? File system swap additions may fail with when memory contention is high. What Other Tunable Values Should Be Changed at the Same Time? None. WARNINGS
All HP-UX kernel tunable parameters are release specific. This parameter may be removed or have its meaning changed in future releases of HP-UX. Installation of optional kernel software, from HP or other vendors, may cause changes to tunable parameter values. After installation, some tunable parameters may no longer be at the default or recommended values. For information about the effects of installation on tun- able values, consult the documentation for the kernel software being installed. For information about optional kernel software that was factory installed on your system, see at AUTHOR
was developed by HP. Tunable Kernel Parameters allocate_fs_swapmap(5)