Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Create alias files (not alias commands) Post 302624499 by neutronscott on Monday 16th of April 2012 10:57:21 AM
Old 04-16-2012
You'd place that in the 2nd argument to ln. Also, I missed some quotes around $1 before (would cause problems with filenames already containing space)

This way:
Code:
find -name 'some exp' -type f -exec bash -c 'ln -s "$1" "/new/path/${1##*/} alias"' _ {} \;

or this way:
Code:
find -name 'some exp' -type f -exec bash -c 'ln -s "$1" "$2/${1##*/} alias"' _ {} "/new/path/here" \;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

1 alias 2 commands 1 argument

Hi, i want make 1 alias with two commands include to do two things at the same time like this: ex: do finger and last at the same time with only one word finla or something. Thanks.- /home/seba > finger dustin Login name: dustin In real life: Dustin Feldman Directory:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: seba
3 Replies

2. Programming

Create an alias

I want to create an alias that will grep the passwd file for the logged in persons username and then it will return the password file entry. I want to pipe the whoami info to the grep command. I have created the following: % alias whopw grep... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mozark
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I want to create a command alias

I want to create a command alias. I know what shell I'm using, I just don't know which file to inter the command alias. When I type "echo $SHELL" the output is as follows: bin/sh If I'm correct, this is the bourne shell. Does anyone know which file to edit in this particular shell? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alias commands

how do you alias a command... Like say I wanted kitten to exicute the command whoami. how would I do that? Thank you for your time. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mars8082686
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to create a alias with an argument

If I want to create an alias called "cdr", and this alias need an argument (for example arg1)followed by "cdr", the result should go to the directory like "/home/ting/arg1/report/logs", the command should look like below, alias cdr arg1 "cd /home/ting/\!$1/report/logs" (not working)::( ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ting123
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unable to create alias

I am using Solaris 9 machine. I am unable to create any aliases. I gave the following command: alias ls='ls -ltr' It did nt give any errors. But next time, I use ls, it is working simply as ls but not like ls -ltr. I am not having admin permissions. Is it the reason. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mumashankar
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to create an ALIAS....

Hi GUYS, I need to create an alias for the the connect statement. I want to replace "CONNECT TO DBNAME" to "CONNECT TO DBNAME user USERID using PASSWORD" I thought i will add an alias in the .profile. But its not working. May be because i am trying to create it for 3 words instead of one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mac4rfree
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

alias commands

Is there a way to create alias for commands and store then in a location where a certain group can run them. I also want anybody in that group to be able to add alias. I don't want them to access the /etc/environment or /etc/profile files to do so. If there needs to be a line added in either of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveisme
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create an alias

I want to create an alias cpage4 and create a postscript file For example I want to call cpage4 file.f which creates the file file.ps I have written like this but don't know how to continue alias cpage4 '/usr/bin/mpage -m40 -4AHP- \!* (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a list of files from alias by script

Actually I have many pictures with diferent name and size around 2000, I need generate a copy of them from one list of alias. The structure of the list is something like this: alias_list.txt <01>randomname.png<02> Randomname.png RandoMname.png RandOmname.png RandomnamE.png... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tapiocapioca
6 Replies
iconv_open(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 					    iconv_open(3C)

NAME
iconv_open - code conversion allocation function SYNOPSIS
#include <iconv.h> iconv_t iconv_open(const char *tocode, const char *fromcode); DESCRIPTION
The iconv_open() function returns a conversion descriptor that describes a conversion from the codeset specified by the string pointed to by the fromcode argument to the codeset specified by the string pointed to by the tocode argument. For state-dependent encodings, the con- version descriptor will be in a codeset-dependent initial shift state, ready for immediate use with the iconv(3C) function. Settings of fromcode and tocode and their permitted combinations are implementation-dependent. The iconv_open() function supports the alias of the encoding name specified in tocode and fromcode. The alias table of the encoding name is described in the file /usr/lib/iconv/alias. See alias(4). A conversion descriptor remains valid in a process until that process closes it. For examples using the iconv_open() function, see iconv(3C). RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion iconv_open() returns a conversion descriptor for use on subsequent calls to iconv(). Otherwise, iconv_open() returns (iconv_t) -1 and sets errno to indicate the error. ERRORS
The iconv_open function may fail if: EMFILE {OPEN_MAX} files descriptors are currently open in the calling process. ENFILE Too many files are currently open in the system. ENOMEM Insufficient storage space is available. EINVAL The conversion specified by fromcode and tocode is not supported by the implementation. FILES
/usr/lib/iconv/alias alias table file of the encoding name ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |MT-Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
exec(2), iconv(3C), iconv_close(3C), malloc(3C), alias(4), attributes(5) NOTES
The iconv_open() function uses malloc(3C) to allocate space for internal buffer areas. iconv_open() may fail if there is insufficient stor- age space to accommodate these buffers. Portable applications must assume that conversion descriptors are not valid after a call to one of the exec functions (see exec(2)). SunOS 5.11 2 Oct 2001 iconv_open(3C)