Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: space after read prompt?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting space after read prompt? Post 302623869 by intelinside on Sunday 15th of April 2012 05:18:45 AM
Old 04-15-2012
space after read prompt?

Hello, Unix-Forums.

How can I make a Space after a read prompt? let's assume:

Code:
read -p "Are you good?:" var

the output would be ( | is the cursor ):
Code:
Are you good?:|

But I want it to be:

Code:
Are you good?: |

That's what I mean.
How would I do that?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

echoed prompt not appearing until after read command.

I have a script I am runing on a hacked CDLinux live CD called from /etc/rc.d/rc.local. The part of th script in question goes like this. When run from rc.local the prompt "Centre name :" and the colour change does not appear until after I type the input text and press return. Also, I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: simonb
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read filenames with space in between

Hi All, I need to read filenames with space in between in a for loop like Integration of utility projects Integration of hdf projects I copied these files from a windows system and as you know windows filename has spaces in between them. But while unix is reading the filename in a for... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: dayanandra
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read -p "prompt text" foo say "read: bad option(s)" in Bourne-Shell

Hallo, i need a Prompting read in my script: read -p "Enter your command: " command But i always get this Error: -p: is not an identifier When I run these in c-shell i get this error /usr/bin/read: read: bad option(s) How can I use a Prompt in the read command? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiseguy
9 Replies

4. Solaris

How to read EMC disk space

Hi I am using Solaris8.I want to find the total disk space of my server.Can anyone please tell that which field in below mentioned code signifies the disk space and whether this space is in Mb or GB. c11t0d52 <EMC-SYMMETRIX-5264 cyl 4 alt 2 hd 15 sec 64> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sharmaankur85
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read the filenames with space character in it

Hi, My Requirement is to read the filenames which possess space charatcer in it and pass the same file name to the other shell script as input parameter. Please provide your valuable suggestion. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cnraja
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

pine email tool suppress prompt to save read messages

Could somebody please advise about how to configure pine/alpine so that on exit it doesn't prompt me to save read messages? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LeoKSimon
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using read to prompt for editable user input in Bash 3

Below is a simple script to prompt for user input while suggesting an editable default value at the prompt: shortname=user1 read -e -i $shortname -p "Please enter the username you would like to add: " input USERNAME="${input:-$shortname}" Please enter the username you would like to add:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: woodson2
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

OSX read silent with prompt

A minor nitpick, but I cannot get a statement like: read -s -n 1 -p "Say Y or N here" -e ANS to actually hush the response. If I don't use the -p option, the response is silent. With it, I always see the response, and I've tried putting the -s in different spots. Is this a known issue, or... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jnojr
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Read space in script

Hi All, Please let me know how to read space between 2 words in script. It is reading only first chars ES,NZ. But after space it is not reading next 3 chars. ES LPI NZ GBL FR LPI DK LPI for v_sob_cntry_cd in `cat /shared/set_of_books_cntry_cd_list.lst` do ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kiranparsha
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Sol11 - Error at prompt (no space left on device)

user1@:/$ -ksh: line 3: write to 1 failed user11@:/$ -ksh: line 3: write to 1 failed user1@:/$ -ksh: line 3: write to 1 failed user1@:/$ -ksh: line 3: write to 1 failed user1@:/$ -ksh: line 3: write to 1 failed But theres plenty of space :- user1@:/$ df -kh Filesystem ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: psychocandy
9 Replies
QRENCODE(1)						      General Commands Manual						       QRENCODE(1)

NAME
qrencode - Encode input data in a QR Code and save as a PNG or EPS image. SYNOPSIS
qrencode [OPTION]... [STRING] DESCRIPTION
Libqrencode is a library for encoding data in a QR Code symbol, a kind of 2D symbology that can be scanned by handy terminals such as a mobile phone with CCD. The capacity of QR Code is up to 7000 digits or 4000 characters, and has high robustness. Qrencode is a utility software using libqrencode to encode string data in a QR Code and save as a PNG or EPS image. OPTIONS
-h, --help display help message. -o FILENAME, --output=FILENAME write image to FILENAME. If '-' is specified, the result will be output to standard output. If -S is given, structured symbols are written to FILENAME-01.png, FILENAME-02.png, ... (suffix is removed from FILENAME, if specified) -s NUMBER, --size=NUMBER specify the size of dot (pixel). (default=3) -l {LMQH}, --level={LMQH} specify error collectin level from L (lowest) to H (highest). (default=L) -v NUMBER, --symversion=NUMBER specify the version of the symbol. (default=auto) -m NUMBER, --margin=NUMBER specify the width of margin. (default=4) -d NUMBER, --dpi=NUMBER specify the DPI of the generated PNG. (default=72) -t {PNG,EPS,SVG,ANSI,ANSI256,ASCII,ASCIIi,UTF8,ANSIUTF8} --type={PNG,EPS,SVG,ANSI,ANSI256,ASCII,ASCIIi,UTF8,ANSIUTF8} specify the type of the generated image. (default=PNG) -S, --structured make structured symbols. Version must be specified. -k, --kanji assume that the input text contains kanji (shift-jis). -c, --casesensitive encode lower-case alphabet characters in 8-bit mode. (default) -i, --ignorecase ignore case distinctions and use only upper-case characters. -8, --8bit encode entire data in 8-bit mode. -k, -c and -i will be ignored. -M, --micro encode in a Micro QR Code. (experimental) --foreground=RRGGBB[AA] --background=RRGGBB[AA] specify foreground/background color in hexadecimal notation. 6-digit (RGB) or 8-digit (RGBA) form are supported. Color output sup- port available only in PNG and SVG. -V, --version display the version number and copyrights of the qrencode. [STRING] input data. If it is not specified, data will be taken from standard input. EXAMPLES
qrencode -l L -v 1 -o output.png 'Hello, world!' encode into a symbol version 1, level L. qrencode -iSv 1 --output=output.png read standard input and encode it into a structured-appended symbols in case-insensitive mode. AUTHOR
Written by Kentaro Fukuchi. RESOURCES
Main Web Site: http://fukuchi.org/works/qrencode/ Source code repository: https://github.com/fukuchi/libqrencode/ COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2006-2012 Kentaro Fukuchi. qrencode 3.4.1 Oct. 9, 2012 QRENCODE(1)