Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Physical RAM
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Physical RAM Post 302621697 by sds9985 on Tuesday 10th of April 2012 11:35:37 PM
Old 04-11-2012
An active RHEL system should be using almost all of the free physical memory for cache and buffers. Once you start doing application I/O, you'll see the memory get "used" by the OS quickly. Remember, the memory "used" for cache/buffers is actually free and the kernel can reclaim it very quickly if memory demand for processes increases. The "free" command shows you the difference between "used" memory with and without including the cache/buffers.

Older versions of Linux did have a penalty for very large memory because the algorithms used to manage memory pages were primitive. Many of those problems were addressed in later RHEL 4 releases and by the time we got to RHEL 5 and 6, those issues have been completely resolved. Many of our servers run 256 or 512GB of RAM. For a BL460c with maybe 8 cores, 32GB seems to me to be about right. If it's a BL460cG6 with 16 cores, 32GB seems small. It all depends on what applications or databases you're running on it.

Here's an example from a mid range system with 48 cores:

Code:
# free -g
           total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:           251        250          0          0          0        226
-/+ buffers/cache:         24        226
Swap:          294         20        273

At first glance it looks like this system has no free memory. But the actual memory used by processes is actually only 24GB - the other 226GB is cache/buffers.

With very large amounts of RAM on certain hardware you can encounter NUMA issues, but as a general rule, you can never have too much memory. RHEL will find a way to use it.
This User Gave Thanks to sds9985 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

physical volume and physical disk.

Hello, I need explanations about physical disks and physical volumes. What is the difference between these 2 things? In fact, i am trying to understand what the AIX lspv2command does. Thank you in advance. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: VeroL
2 Replies

2. Solaris

getting available physical RAM

What command should I be using on Solaris 9 to get an accurate representation of the available physical RAM? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Physical volume- no free physical partitions

I was in smit, checking on disc space, etc. and it appears that one of our physical volumes that is part of a large volume group, has no free physical partitions. The server is running AIX 5.1. What would be the advisable step to take in this instance? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: markper
9 Replies

4. Solaris

RAM Physical Memory usage by each Process.

Hi All, I am trying to find the physical memory usage by each process/users. Can you please let me know how to get the memory usage?. Thanks, bsraj. (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: bsrajirs
12 Replies

5. Red Hat

red hat Linux 5.0 is detecting 3gb ram but physical ram is 16gb

Hi, On server 64bit Hw Arch , Linux 5.0(32bit) is installed it is showing only 3gb of ram though physical is 16gb can u give me idea why? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

6. AIX

Maximum Limit of HMC to handle Physical Power Virtualization Physical Machine

Hello All, Can anybody please tell me what is the maximum limit of Physical IBM Power Machine which can be handled by single HMC at a single point of time? Thanks, Jenish (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jenish_shah
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris sun4v - how do you determine physical RAM?

I have a Sun T5120, and I want to programmatically determine how much RAM it has. # uname -a SunOS myhost 5.10 Generic_141444-09 sun4v sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise-T5120 The box has 64Gb; I tried prtdiag and prtconf, but they give me bogus info prtconf gives me: # prtconf |grep -i... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomn8r
12 Replies

8. Solaris

svc:/network/physical:default: Method "/lib/svc/method/net-physical" failed with exit status 96. [ n

After a memory upgrade all network interfaces are misconfigued. How do i resolve this issue. Below are some out puts.thanks. ifconfig: plumb: SIOCLIFADDIF: eg000g0:2: no such interface # ifconfig eg1000g0:2 plumb ifconfig: plumb: SIOCLIFADDIF: eg1000g0:2: no such interface # ifconfig... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: andersonedouard
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Confusion Regarding Physical Volume,Volume Group,Logical Volume,Physical partition

Hi, I am new to unix. I am working on Red Hat Linux and side by side on AIX also. After reading the concepts of Storage, I am now really confused regarding the terminologies 1)Physical Volume 2)Volume Group 3)Logical Volume 4)Physical Partition Please help me to understand these concepts. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kashifsd17
6 Replies

10. Solaris

ZFS : Can arc size value exceed Physical RAM ?

Hi, kstat -p -m zfs -n arcstats -s size returns zfs:0:arcstats:size 8177310584 this values is approx (7.61 GB) but my Physical Memory size is only 6144 Megabytes. Can this happen ? if yes, then how can I find free memory on the system. BTW, I ran the kstat commands from a Non... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sapre_amit
2 Replies
bcopy(9F)						   Kernel Functions for Drivers 						 bcopy(9F)

NAME
bcopy - copy data between address locations in the kernel SYNOPSIS
#include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/sunddi.h> void bcopy(const void *from, void *to, size_t bcount); INTERFACE LEVEL
Architecture independent level 1 (DDI/DKI). PARAMETERS
from Source address from which the copy is made. to Destination address to which copy is made. bcount The number of bytes moved. DESCRIPTION
The bcopy() function copies bcount bytes from one kernel address to another. If the input and output addresses overlap, the command exe- cutes, but the results may not be as expected. Note that bcopy() should never be used to move data in or out of a user buffer, because it has no provision for handling page faults. The user address space can be swapped out at any time, and bcopy() always assumes that there will be no paging faults. If bcopy() attempts to access the user buffer when it is swapped out, the system will panic. It is safe to use bcopy() to move data within kernel space, since kernel space is never swapped out. CONTEXT
The bcopy() function can be called from user, interrupt, or kernel context. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Copying data between address locations in the kernel: An I/O request is made for data stored in a RAM disk. If the I/O operation is a read request, the data is copied from the RAM disk to a buffer (line 8). If it is a write request, the data is copied from a buffer to the RAM disk (line 15). bcopy() is used since both the RAM disk and the buffer are part of the kernel address space. 1 #define RAMDNBLK 1000 /* blocks in the RAM disk */ 2 #define RAMDBSIZ 512 /* bytes per block */ 3 char ramdblks[RAMDNBLK][RAMDBSIZ]; /* blocks forming RAM /* disk ... 4 5 if (bp->b_flags & B_READ) /* if read request, copy data */ 6 /* from RAM disk data block */ 7 /* to system buffer */ 8 bcopy(&ramdblks[bp->b_blkno][0], bp->b_un.b_addr, 9 bp->b_bcount); 10 11 else /* else write request, */ 12 /* copy data from a */ 13 /* system buffer to RAM disk */ 14 /* data block */ 15 bcopy(bp->b_un.b_addr, &ramdblks[bp->b_blkno][0], 16 bp->b_bcount); SEE ALSO
copyin(9F), copyout(9F) Writing Device Drivers WARNINGS
The from and to addresses must be within the kernel space. No range checking is done. If an address outside of the kernel space is selected, the driver may corrupt the system in an unpredictable way. SunOS 5.11 16 Jan 2006 bcopy(9F)