Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: foreach loop in csh
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers foreach loop in csh Post 302620921 by ymc1g11 on Monday 9th of April 2012 01:49:33 PM
Old 04-09-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbin
Code:
foreach x ( * )
echo $x
end

or

foreach x ( `ls` )
echo $x
end

xbin, thanks for the help. but when i tried each of them they only printed out some of the files in the current directory (yet `ls` and * gave different result Smilie ), it didnt give me the result as i was using ls .. ?

---------- Post updated at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amit_Chopra
Hi,

May i know where u have defined/mentioned the directory where u want to do/run ls.

foreach x ( ls )
echo $x
end
i wrote the loop in a csh script, with #!/bin/csh and run it on bash

---------- Post updated at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:43 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymc1g11
xbin, thanks for the help. but when i tried each of them they only printed out some of the files in the current directory (yet `ls` and * gave different result Smilie ), it didnt give me the result as i was using ls .. ?

---------- Post updated at 06:43 PM ---------- Previous update was at 06:39 PM ----------

i wrote the loop in a csh script, with #!/bin/csh and run it on bash
now it works fine. Thanks to both! Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

foreach loop question

Hello, I am new at this forum so please bare with me on this. Within a given directory, I have a list of files in which in each file, I would like to do a substitution. I would like to substitute the string mlcl to mll in each file using the foreach command. I dont quite get how to do that. If... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: clipski
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Foreach loop

What am I doing wrong with this foreach loop? foreach var ($argv) @sum = $sum + $var (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: haze21
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach loop

Hi Guys, I have a loop which uses a wildcard i.e. foreach f (*) but when I execute the tcsh file in unix then it gives me an error ->>>>>>>foreach: words not parenthesized<<<<<<<<<<- Any help. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abch624
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach loop

Hi everyone Does anyone know what is wrong with this script. i keep getting errors foreach filename (`cat testing1`) set string=$filename set depth=`echo "$string" echo $depth end the error is the following testing: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `(' testing: line 1:... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ROOZ
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

foreach in csh

I have a foreach loop in a csh script and I noticed that it tries to find the files with the pattern *$searchpt* in the file name. I'm confused as I never specified checking for the files. foreach f ( *$searchpt* ) set fnew = `echo $f | awk -v searchpat=$searchpt \ ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kristinu
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to loop(Iterate) through List with foreach(csh)

Hey all,, I know cshell is harmful:) but I am using this just "to know" - for educational purposes!... not for a long-term use. lets say i have a list.. set arr=(x y z e f) I wanna iterate the list with foreach ,, not with while.!! foreach i $arr echo $i end does not work (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eawedat
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Foreach loop that skips the header line of a file (csh)

Hello all, I'm working on a foreach loop to compare a couple sets of data. However, each datafile includes a header row. I'm wondering if it is possible to tell the foreach loop to skip the first line of data. I've been using the basic code as follows: foreach line ("`file.csv`") set... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: meteorologistks
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using the Foreach loop, Needing help

I am trying to make a script for my Counter-Strike: Source servers. What i am wanting it to do is for it to restart each server, the only way i can think of doing this in through for each. Years what i have at the moment. server_start() { START=`ps x | grep SCREEN | grep $SRV | cut -d '?' -f... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: grahamn95
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Foreach loop through subdirectories in csh

Hi You might find it very trivial but actually don't know how to loop through all sub-directories and their child directories into a csh. bash was easier I believe but here I am, stuck with csh. So elaborately here's my problem: Let's say I have my parent directory named C-H/ under which I have... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: saleheen
15 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Foreach: Words not parenthesized. csh

Just started shell scripting for the first time today :D Can anyone tell me why I get the error "foreach: Words not parenthesized." for my following code? The program takes in a list of arguments. foreach card ($argv) echo Hello end (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pkuebler
3 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)