Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help Linux Shell Group exists Post 302619659 by kingkner on Thursday 5th of April 2012 10:25:07 PM
Old 04-05-2012
Help Linux Shell Group exists

I am having some problems when writing shell as follows:
shell runs but returns no results
Code:
echo "enter group name: "
            dir="/home"
            read group
            if id -g $group > /dev/null 2>&1
            then
            echo "group exits"
            else
            echo "group not exits"
            fi;;

can you help me!
thank very....

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

If file exists (bourne shell)

Im trying to code some logic into a test script to test for the existence of a file before recreating it. Im using the following line to test for this: if -r test.txt; However I get the error message ./testScript.sh: -r: not found Having read through the man pages im still not clear whats... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blakmk
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Chek if a file exists in Ubuntu and Cent OS using shell script

I have tried few examples in the internet but all of them are different and none worked. I need to check if a file exists in a directory if it does not then exit . here is what I have for now $filename ="/usr/local/net/var/lib/directoryservice/sync.disable" if ; then echo "The file exists"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: m_kk
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

HOW TO CHECK ONLY .C FILES EXISTS OR NOT IN A FOLDER using IF in C shell script?

Hi friends.. I hav a problem.... I dont know how to check .c files exists r not in a folder using IF in C shell script actually i tried like this if(=~ *.c) even though some .c files or there in the current folder..it is not entering int o the if control statement...... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: p.hemadrireddy
17 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to check if any file exists in 4 folders

Hi All, working on AIX 5.3. Requirement is: Shell script in ksh to check if any file exists in 4 folders as below: 1. /FILE/INB/INT1 2. /FILE/INB/INT2 3. /FILE/INB/INT3 4. /FILE/INB/INT4 Thanks a lot for your time! a1_win. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a1_win
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking if file exists using a NOT operator and shell variable

Hi, I'm new to UNIX, at least shell programming and am having trouble figuring out a problem i'm having. In one section in my nested if statement, i want the program to test if the file does not exist, based on an argument supplied at the command line by the user. What i have is elif ; then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rowlf
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if user exists shell

Hello! I'm stuck with a problem that i can't solve. I'm very new to unix, linux and shell scripting i might add. I'm trying to create a script that will execute as follows: First start the script - sh exist Then the prompt asks the user to input a username to check if it exists within the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bib2006
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

C shell scripting, check if link exists on remote servers

Hi, I'm new to C Shell programming. I'm trying to check if a sym link exists on remote server if not send email. I'm not having much luck. Can anyone help? Here is what I have written but it doesn't work. It tells me that my variable was not defined. Here is part of the script, the second... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: CDi
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determine a shell variable exists in file?

Hi Folks, Trying to build up a script that will lookup a username invoked as: ./buildscript.sh <username> This should take <username> and look it up in <username_file> and prepare for further processing. Here is the snippet that isn't working just right: user=$1 if ]; then echo... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gdenton
1 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Search for Multiple strings in a given date range and print the Group if they exists

Hi, I am Searching for Multiple strings in a given date range and print the Group if they exists. the below is the format: ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ID: FIRST ID MESSAGE: Event Message... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxuser999
5 Replies
NEWGRP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 NEWGRP(1)

NAME
newgrp -- change to a new primary group SYNOPSIS
newgrp [-l] [group] DESCRIPTION
The newgrp command changes a user to a new primary group (real and effective group ID) by starting a new shell. The user remains logged in and the current directory and file creation mask remain unchanged. The user is always given a new shell even if the primary group change fails. The newgrp command accepts the following options: -l The environment is changed to what would be expected if the user actually logged in again. This simulates a full login. The group is a group name or non-negative numeric group ID from the group database. The real and effective group IDs are set to group or the group ID associated with the group name. If group is not specified, newgrp restores the user's real and effective group IDs to the user's primary group specified in the password database. The user's supplementary group IDs are restored to the set specified for the user in the group database. If the user is not a member of the specified group, and the group requires a password, the user will be prompted for the group password. FILES
/etc/group The group database /etc/master.passwd The user database /etc/passwd A Version 7 format password file EXIT STATUS
If a new shell is started the exit status is the exit status of the shell. Otherwise the exit status will be >0. SEE ALSO
csh(1), groups(1), login(1), sh(1), su(1), umask(2), group(5), passwd(5), environ(7) STANDARDS
The newgrp command conforms to IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (``POSIX.1''). HISTORY
A newgrp command appeared in Version 6 AT&T UNIX. A newgrp command appeared in NetBSD 5.0. BUGS
There is no convenient way to enter a password into /etc/group. The use of group passwords is strongly discouraged since they are inherently insecure. It is not possible to stop users from obtaining the encrypted password from the group database. BSD
June 6, 2007 BSD