Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Deleting empty folders
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deleting empty folders Post 302617711 by itkamaraj on Tuesday 3rd of April 2012 04:38:54 AM
Old 04-03-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ningy
Code:
for i in `find FILEPATH -type d -empty`
do
rmdir $i
fi
done

why do we need fi ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

During deleting just miss some folders

There is directory test: > ls -rtl total 12 drwxr-xr-x 2 root sys 4096 Aug 17 09:57 test2 -rw-r--r-- 1 user1 group1 16 Aug 17 10:00 test -rw-r--r-- 1 user1 group1 16 Aug 17 10:00 test1 -rw-r--r-- 1 user1 group1 16 Aug 17 10:01 test12 -rw-r--r-- 1 user1 group1 16 Aug 17 10:01 test13 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_junior
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

zip nesting empty folders

I'm using the following command to zip a project file, but when it finishes, the resulting zip file contains all the directories above the file I wanted zipped, myapp.app, each one empty until you get to the actual app. zip -r myapp.app.zip ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: groundlevel
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to find empty folders without using -empty

hi all: my solaris FIND does not support find myFolder -type d -empty how can i find the empty folders? thanks! (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lasse
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing empty folders using 'find'

Hey there! I try to use 'find' to remove empty directories like this: find . -depth -type d -empty -exec rm -rf {} ';' It works just fine, but there are some directories i want to exclude. So i tried to do sth like this: find . -depth -type d -empty -exec grep -v "not this one please" -exec... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: deTTo
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find empty folders

In current folder, there are many subfolders, subfolder's subfolders... under it. How can I find out the empty folders with no files in it. I only need the top folder list. For example, I have folders like below: a/b/c a/b/x/x.txt a/s a/s/y I need get the folder a/s, but not... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rdcwayx
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting files without folders.

How can I delete all the files in subfolders without folders (preserving directory scructure). P.S. I have a huge variety of computer books organized in subfolders (admin web hardw programming_langs) .. but I don't need them - the only way to know something now is GOOGLE (I've realized now)...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Xcislav
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Removing empty folders

Hello, I have a folder that contains all my music. Recently, I started using a different media player, and I let it manage my music folder. It has sorted all my music neatly in folders by artist and album. However, all the old folders that the songs used to be in are still there, yet they are... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: emveedee
2 Replies

8. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Empty folders with SFU

Hi all, i am currently setting my windows XP environment to use with Services for Unix (NFS Client) to mount my unix file system as a network drive. However, though i could mount the unix file directory successful, but the folder is empty (which is not). Why is this so? i have imported my unix... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lchunleo
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Deleting Folders Script

Hi all new to the forums. Very beginner at shell scripting. What I'm trying to do is this: Is the directory empty prior to removal of it? If not, inform the user that the directory is not empty and if the user wants to remove it remove or move the files in it first. But I'm stuck.. It checks... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rduckett1456
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to delete some empty folders?

I have an amount of folders and I want to delete only the empty ones. But I have more than 200 empty folders, so I would preffer do not delete one by one... I know it is possible, but I don't know how. I've tried with the size, using 'du' command, and saving the result in a file. After that, I made... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: saitsug
3 Replies
APT-CONFIG(8)                                                           APT                                                          APT-CONFIG(8)

NAME
apt-config - APT Configuration Query program SYNOPSIS
apt-config [--empty] [--format '%f "%v";%n'] [-o=config_string] [-c=config_file] {shell | dump | {-v | --version} | {-h | --help}} DESCRIPTION
apt-config is an internal program used by various portions of the APT suite to provide consistent configurability. It accesses the main configuration file /etc/apt/apt.conf in a manner that is easy to use for scripted applications. Unless the -h, or --help option is given, one of the commands below must be present. shell shell is used to access the configuration information from a shell script. It is given pairs of arguments, the first being a shell variable and the second the configuration value to query. As output it lists shell assignment commands for each value present. In a shell script it should be used as follows: OPTS="-f" RES=`apt-config shell OPTS MyApp::options` eval $RES This will set the shell environment variable $OPTS to the value of MyApp::options with a default of -f. The configuration item may be postfixed with a /[fdbi]. f returns file names, d returns directories, b returns true or false and i returns an integer. Each of the returns is normalized and verified internally. dump Just show the contents of the configuration space. OPTIONS
All command line options may be set using the configuration file, the descriptions indicate the configuration option to set. For boolean options you can override the config file by using something like -f-,--no-f, -f=no or several other variations. --empty Include options which have an empty value. This is the default, so use --no-empty to remove them from the output. --format '%f "%v";%n' Defines the output of each config option. %t will be replaced with its individual name, %f with its full hierarchical name and %v with its value. Use uppercase letters and special characters in the value will be encoded to ensure that it can e.g. be safely used in a quoted-string as defined by RFC822. Additionally %n will be replaced by a newline, and %N by a tab. A % can be printed by using %%. -h, --help Show a short usage summary. -v, --version Show the program version. -c, --config-file Configuration File; Specify a configuration file to use. The program will read the default configuration file and then this configuration file. If configuration settings need to be set before the default configuration files are parsed specify a file with the APT_CONFIG environment variable. See apt.conf(5) for syntax information. -o, --option Set a Configuration Option; This will set an arbitrary configuration option. The syntax is -o Foo::Bar=bar. -o and --option can be used multiple times to set different options. SEE ALSO
apt.conf(5) DIAGNOSTICS
apt-config returns zero on normal operation, decimal 100 on error. BUGS
APT bug page[1]. If you wish to report a bug in APT, please see /usr/share/doc/debian/bug-reporting.txt or the reportbug(1) command. AUTHORS
Jason Gunthorpe APT team NOTES
1. APT bug page http://bugs.debian.org/src:apt APT 1.6.3ubuntu0.1 30 November 2013 APT-CONFIG(8)