Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Is total CPU usage for sar %user+%system+%iowait? Post 302616679 by Scrutinizer on Sunday 1st of April 2012 07:54:19 AM
Old 04-01-2012
It is a "single-CPU vmware machine", I presume OP means a virtual machine. In the 3rd column it says, all CPU, so I think it would not matter if there were more vCPUs.

There is a %idle column, but apparently there has not been an idle period without I/O activity. The three columns on the left are busy time, the three on the right are idle time..

So I think it is like this:
TOTAL USER = %user + %nice
TOTAL CPU = %user + %nice + %system
TOTAL IDLE = %iowait + %steal + %idle

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 04-01-2012 at 09:10 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

CPU usage per user

Hello everybody, How can we proceed to measure the CPU used par a user on unix HPUX ? there some commands or tools ? Thank you in advance. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlaiti
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Total usage memory by user

Hi, When running top on linux redhat machine , i see that i have 16gb of memory in my machine and about 14.5gb of memory are in use: Mem: 16395780k total, 14970960k used, 1424820k free, 370264k buffers Swap: 4192956k total, 25824k used, 4167132k free, 12029400k cached How can i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoavbe
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Multi CPU Solaris system shows 100% CPU usage.

Hello Friends, On one of my Solaris 10 box, CPU usage shows 100% using "sar", "vmstat". However, it has 4 CPUs and prstat and glance are not showing enough processes to justify high CPU utilization. ========================================================================= $ prstat -a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahive
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding total Percentage CPU usage

Hi, How can I find total CPU usage in percentage? e.g. if my system has 8 CPUs and I want to list total usage for all of them, is it possible through a command? I have tried some of the commands like top, mpstat, sar. The output of those commands has to be manipulated to derive the percentage... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jal_capri
14 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

HOWTO - Total memory and CPU usage ... without top?

Hi all, Is it possible to get total memory usage and free memory usage without top? By Googling I found for total memory usage, use vmstat, for CPU, use mpstat, for disk I/O use iostat, is this correct? Will using sar gives the same result as ALL of these three (3) commands? What about if I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
2 Replies

6. Ubuntu

High System CPU Usage

I am running a Dell PE R815 with 4 x AMD 12 core CPUs with 128GB of RAM and a RAID 5 array of 6 SAS disks. This is an HPC application and is definitely CPU bound, however once I run 16 of these processes (thus pinning 16 cores) the work performed slows down dramatically, to maybe 5 or 10% of what... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mowmentous
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Total cpu usage in percent(%)

How to determine the total percentage cpu usage of a server having 4 cpu cores(quad core)? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
3 Replies

8. Linux

System Went panic after CPU usage high

Hi All, Yesterday my Linux server went panic and even a small command took a lot of time to run. When i monitored pl find the below output Cpu(s): 0.1%us, 98.4%sy, 0.0%ni, 1.5%id, 0.0%wa, 0.0%hi, 0.0%si, 0.0%st the time spent on kernel mode is 98 % and also idle time is around 1.5 %...... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
4 Replies

9. Linux

How to calculate total CPU usage from SAR report?

Hi, I want to calculate the total cpu usage from the sar report. Say for example, Linux 2.6.24-21-generic (blade10) 09/10/2012 04:54:36 PM CPU %user %nice %system %iowait %steal %idle 04:54:37 PM all 0.00 0.00 0.00 0.00 ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rohitmd
1 Replies

10. Solaris

Total CPU usage on a server

hi, i am using solaris server. I want to find the total CPU usage on a server. Top command will give that result, but here that command is not working. So anyone can help me to find the total CPU usage. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Arasu123
2 Replies
MPSTAT(1)							Linux User's Manual							 MPSTAT(1)

NAME
mpstat - Report processors related statistics. SYNOPSIS
mpstat [ -A ] [ -I { SUM | CPU | SCPU | ALL } ] [ -u ] [ -P { cpu [,...] | ON | ALL } ] [ -V ] [ interval [ count ] ] DESCRIPTION
The mpstat command writes to standard output activities for each available processor, processor 0 being the first one. Global average activities among all processors are also reported. The mpstat command can be used both on SMP and UP machines, but in the latter, only global average activities will be printed. If no activity has been selected, then the default report is the CPU utilization report. The interval parameter specifies the amount of time in seconds between each report. A value of 0 (or no parameters at all) indicates that processors statistics are to be reported for the time since system startup (boot). The count parameter can be specified in conjunction with the interval parameter if this one is not set to zero. The value of count determines the number of reports generated at interval sec- onds apart. If the interval parameter is specified without the count parameter, the mpstat command generates reports continuously. OPTIONS
-A This option is equivalent to specifying -I ALL -u -P ALL -I { SUM | CPU | SCPU | ALL } Report interrupts statistics. With the SUM keyword, the mpstat command reports the total number of interrupts per processor. The following values are displayed: CPU Processor number. The keyword all indicates that statistics are calculated as averages among all processors. intr/s Show the total number of interrupts received per second by the CPU or CPUs. With the CPU keyword, the number of each individual interrupt received per second by the CPU or CPUs is displayed. With the SCPU keyword, the number of each individual software interrupt received per second by the CPU or CPUs is displayed. This option works only with kernels 2.6.31 and later. The ALL keyword is equivalent to specifying all the keywords above and therefore all the interrupts statistics are displayed. -P { cpu [,...] | ON | ALL } Indicate the processor number for which statistics are to be reported. cpu is the processor number. Note that processor 0 is the first processor. The ON keyword indicates that statistics are to be reported for every online processor, whereas the ALL keyword indicates that statistics are to be reported for all processors. -u Report CPU utilization. The following values are displayed: CPU Processor number. The keyword all indicates that statistics are calculated as averages among all processors. %usr Show the percentage of CPU utilization that occurred while executing at the user level (application). %nice Show the percentage of CPU utilization that occurred while executing at the user level with nice priority. %sys Show the percentage of CPU utilization that occurred while executing at the system level (kernel). Note that this does not include time spent servicing hardware and software interrupts. %iowait Show the percentage of time that the CPU or CPUs were idle during which the system had an outstanding disk I/O request. %irq Show the percentage of time spent by the CPU or CPUs to service hardware interrupts. %soft Show the percentage of time spent by the CPU or CPUs to service software interrupts. %steal Show the percentage of time spent in involuntary wait by the virtual CPU or CPUs while the hypervisor was servicing another virtual processor. %guest Show the percentage of time spent by the CPU or CPUs to run a virtual processor. %idle Show the percentage of time that the CPU or CPUs were idle and the system did not have an outstanding disk I/O request. Note: On SMP machines a processor that does not have any activity at all is a disabled (offline) processor. -V Print version number then exit. ENVIRONMENT
The mpstat command takes into account the following environment variable: S_TIME_FORMAT If this variable exists and its value is ISO then the current locale will be ignored when printing the date in the report header. The mpstat command will use the ISO 8601 format (YYYY-MM-DD) instead. EXAMPLES
mpstat 2 5 Display five reports of global statistics among all processors at two second intervals. mpstat -P ALL 2 5 Display five reports of statistics for all processors at two second intervals. BUGS
/proc filesystem must be mounted for the mpstat command to work. Only a few activities are given by the Linux kernel for each processor. FILES
/proc contains various files with system statistics. AUTHOR
Sebastien Godard (sysstat <at> orange.fr) SEE ALSO
sar(1), pidstat(1), iostat(1), vmstat(8) http://pagesperso-orange.fr/sebastien.godard/ Linux AUGUST 2011 MPSTAT(1)