Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Averaging each row with null values Post 302611063 by ida1215 on Thursday 22nd of March 2012 07:03:14 AM
Old 03-22-2012
Averaging each row with null values

Hi all,

I want to compute for the average of a file with null values (NaN) for each row. any help on how to do it. the sample file looks like this.
Code:
1.4 1.2 1.5 NaN 1.6
1.3 1.1 NaN 1.3 NaN
2.4 1.3 1.5 NaN 1.5 
NaN 1.2 NaN 1.4 NaN

I need to do a row-wise averaging such that it will sum only all the valid values/ divided by the number of valid values. Null values are interspersed within rows and I want to disregard these values when computing for the average like the ones below:

Code:
(1.4+1.2+1.5+1.6)/4
(1.3+1.1+1.3)/3
(2.4+1.3+1.5+1.5)/4
(1.2+1.4)/2

Thank you very much in advance for any help and insight on this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

averaging column values with awk

Hello. Im just starting to learn awk so hang in there with me...I have a large text file formatted as such everything is in a single column ID001 value 1 value 2 value....n ID002 value 1 value 2 value... n I want to be able to calculate the average for values for each ID from the... (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnmillsbro
18 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to insert data befor some field in a row of data depending up on values in row

Hi I need to do some thing like "find and insert before that " in a file which contains many records. This will be clear with the following example. The original data record should be some thing like this 60119827 RTMS_LOCATION_CDR INSTANT_POSITION_QUERY 1236574686123083rtmssrv7 ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to Compare Null values??

Hi, Can someone help me comparing Null values. Scenario is as follows: I have a variable which "cache_prd" which can have either some integer or nothing(Null) if it is integer I have to again do some comparision but these comparisons give me this error:( "line 32: [: 95: unary operator... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yagami
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sorting null values

Hi I have a file with the values abc res set kls lmn ops i want to sort this file with the null values at the bottom of the file OUTPUT should look like this abc kls lmn ops (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vickyhere
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to averaging column based on first column values

Hello I have file that consist of 2 columns of millions of entries timestamp and throughput I want to find the average (throughput ) for each equal timestamp before change it to proper format e.g : i want to average 2 coloumnd fot all 1308154800 values in column 1 and then print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aadel
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop for row-wise averaging of multiple files using awk

Hello all, I need to compute a row-wise average of files with a single column based on the pattern of the filenames. I really appreciate any help on this. it would just be very difficult to do them manually as the rows are mounting to 100,000 lines. the filenames are as below with convention as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ida1215
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use sort with null values?

Hello everyone I am doing a join command. Obviously, before I need two files sorted first. ( Both files have headers and have about 2 million lines each one ) The problem is, one of the files has null values in the key to sort (which is the first filed ). For example I have the original... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: viktor1985
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

File values alwaya null

Hi All , below is my shell program. !/bin/sh set -x #---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- # Program : weekly_remove_icd_file.sh # Author : # Date : 04/06/2013 # Purpose : Execute the script to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check null values column

hi, I had a small question.I had a file from which i need to extract data. I have written the below script to check if the file exists and if it exists extract requierd columns from the file. IFILE=/home/home01/Report_1.csv OFILE=/home/home01/name.csv.out1 if #Checks if file exists... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to perform averaging of values for particular timestamp using awk or anythoing else??

I have a file of the form. 16:00:26,83.33 16:05:26,83.33 16:10:26,83.33 16:15:26,83.33 16:20:26,90.26 16:25:26,83.33 16:30:26,83.33 17:00:26,83.33 17:05:26,83.33 17:10:26,83.33 17:15:26,83.33 17:20:26,90.26 17:25:26,83.33 17:30:26,83.33 For the timestamp 16:00:00 to 16:55:00, I need to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saidul
5 Replies
XkbAddGeomKey(3)						   XKB FUNCTIONS						  XkbAddGeomKey(3)

NAME
XkbAddGeomKey - Add one key at the end of an existing row of keys SYNOPSIS
XkbKeyPtr XkbAddGeomKey ( row ) XkbRowPtr row; ARGUMENTS
- row row to be updated DESCRIPTION
Xkb provides functions to add a single new element to the top-level keyboard geometry. In each case the num_ * fields of the corresponding structure is incremented by 1. These functions do not change sz_* unless there is no more room in the array. Some of these functions fill in the values of the element's structure from the arguments. For other functions, you must explicitly write code to fill the structure's elements. The top-level geometry description includes a list of geometry properties. A geometry property associates an arbitrary string with an equally arbitrary name. Programs that display images of keyboards can use geometry properties as hints, but they are not interpreted by Xkb. No other geometry structures refer to geometry properties. Keys are grouped into rows. XkbAddGeomKey adds one key to the end of the specified row. The key is allocated and zeroed. XkbAddGeomKey returns NULL if row is empty or if it was not able to allocate space for the key. To allocate space for an arbitrary number of keys to a row, use XkbAllocGeomKeys. STRUCTURES
typedef struct _XkbKey { /* key in a row */ XkbKeyNameRec name; /* key name */ short gap; /* gap in mm/10 from previous key in row */ unsigned char shape_ndx; /* index of shape for key */ unsigned char color_ndx; /* index of color for key body */ } XkbKeyRec, *XkbKeyPtr; SEE ALSO
XkbAllocGeomKeys(3) X Version 11 libX11 1.2.1 XkbAddGeomKey(3)