Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Partition with parted
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Partition with parted Post 302608693 by learnbash on Sunday 18th of March 2012 10:49:56 AM
Old 03-18-2012
@jlliagre

i have done this as well, but after quit it show me one partition while under parted it show 4 partition, what should i do now? i need to format four partition which i made in parted but not able to do so because fdisk is not showing it, so what you suggest.

---------- Post updated at 09:49 AM ---------- Previous update was at 09:15 AM ----------

So it means if i make partition with parted above then 2.2TB so it will show one partition with fdisk and if i need to see four partition i will use gdisk, please confirm?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

understanding logical partition, physical partition

hi, 1) is logical partition the same as physical partition except that one is physical and the other is logical? 2) then it must a one to one ratio? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: yls177
3 Replies

2. SuSE

SuSE parted problem

Hello, So, I burned the 5 cds of SuSE 10.1, and would really like to begin installation. But when I get to the partitioning phase, I get an error message saying the first hard drive is unreadable by parted, and that I'll have to use Yast instead. It also tells me I wont be able to move delete... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mudrack
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition?

I've created a partition with GNU Parted, how do I mount the partition? The manual information at http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/manual/parted.html is good, but I am sure about how I mount the partition afterwards. Thanks, --Todd (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jtp51
1 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Partition management: lvm? fdisk? parted? (on RAID)

Hello, I have a RHEL system with two 500GB hard drives in RAID 1 (I think hardware, but not 100% certain - any way to tell?). It looks like it was just set up in default configuration with a small boot partition and one huge partition for the rest, which composes a LVM volume. I want... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: builder88
1 Replies

5. Linux

how to use parted get partition_type

I want to use GNU parted for disk partition, but I also hope to get the partition type id by parted. :confused:I can get it from fdisk -l, but I don't know how the parted can get it. The print of the "parted print" only include fstype flags and so on, I hope some help. Thank you. My English is not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ZR_Lang
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync from partition to partition fastest

Gentleman, Please move if I have chose the incorrect forum section. I am trying to move data that is not backed up from partition 1 to partition 2 on a SAN that has a GFS2 filesystem. Since the data is not backed up I am rsyncing this data and once verified I will delete from the source... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaysunn
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Fdisk v/s parted

Just started understanding linux filesystem and partition utilities. I was going though some video tutorials by CBT nuggets and the author was cursing fdisk as fuzzy tool and recommending to use parted instead. In our job environment i have seen almost every one using fdisk utility for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pinga123
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Partition overlaps another partition while creating new parition in solaris

hi all while formatting hard disk i am getting following error. Partition 1 ends at 266338338 It must be between 34 and 143374704. label error: EFI Labels do not support overlapping partitions Partition 8 overlaps partition 1. Warning: error writing EFI. Label failed. I have formatted the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nikhil kasar
2 Replies

9. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Ask concept soft partition vs hard partition

Hi Experts I would like to know different between soft partition concept and hard partition concept on solaris. Here is little explanation between soft partition concept and hard partition concept on solaris. Soft Partition: 1TB total space available in storage in all mapped to the OS to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies
PARTED(8)                                                        GNU Parted Manual                                                       PARTED(8)

NAME
GNU Parted - a partition manipulation program SYNOPSIS
parted [options] [device [command [options...]...]] DESCRIPTION
parted is a program to manipulate disk partitions. It supports multiple partition table formats, including MS-DOS and GPT. It is useful for creating space for new operating systems, reorganising disk usage, and copying data to new hard disks. This manual page documents parted briefly. Complete documentation is distributed with the package in GNU Info format. OPTIONS
-h, --help displays a help message -l, --list lists partition layout on all block devices -m, --machine displays machine parseable output -s, --script never prompts for user intervention -v, --version displays the version -a alignment-type, --align alignment-type Set alignment for newly created partitions, valid alignment types are: none Use the minimum alignment allowed by the disk type. cylinder Align partitions to cylinders. minimal Use minimum alignment as given by the disk topology information. This and the opt value will use layout information provided by the disk to align the logical partition table addresses to actual physical blocks on the disks. The min value is the min- imum alignment needed to align the partition properly to physical blocks, which avoids performance degradation. optimal Use optimum alignment as given by the disk topology information. This aligns to a multiple of the physical block size in a way that guarantees optimal performance. COMMANDS
[device] The block device to be used. When none is given, parted will use the first block device it finds. [command [options]] Specifies the command to be executed. If no command is given, parted will present a command prompt. Possible commands are: help [command] Print general help, or help on command if specified. align-check type partition Check if partition satisfies the alignment constraint of type. type must be "minimal" or "optimal". mklabel label-type Create a new disklabel (partition table) of label-type. label-type should be one of "aix", "amiga", "bsd", "dvh", "gpt", "loop", "mac", "msdos", "pc98", or "sun". mkpart part-type [fs-type] start end Make a part-type partition for filesystem fs-type (if specified), beginning at start and ending at end (by default in megabytes). part-type should be one of "primary", "logical", or "extended". name partition name Set the name of partition to name. This option works only on Mac, PC98, and GPT disklabels. The name can be placed in quotes, if necessary. print Display the partition table. quit Exit from parted. rescue start end Rescue a lost partition that was located somewhere between start and end. If a partition is found, parted will ask if you want to create an entry for it in the partition table. resizepart partition end Change the end position of partition. Note that this does not modify any filesystem present in the partition. rm partition Delete partition. select device Choose device as the current device to edit. device should usually be a Linux hard disk device, but it can be a partition, software raid device, or an LVM logical volume if necessary. set partition flag state Change the state of the flag on partition to state. Supported flags are: "boot", "root", "swap", "hidden", "raid", "lvm", "lba", "legacy_boot", "irst", "esp" and "palo". state should be either "on" or "off". unit unit Set unit as the unit to use when displaying locations and sizes, and for interpreting those given by the user when not suf- fixed with an explicit unit. unit can be one of "s" (sectors), "B" (bytes), "kB", "MB", "MiB", "GB", "GiB", "TB", "TiB", "%" (percentage of device size), "cyl" (cylinders), "chs" (cylinders, heads, sectors), or "compact" (megabytes for input, and a human-friendly form for output). toggle partition flag Toggle the state of flag on partition. version Display version information and a copyright message. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-parted@gnu.org> SEE ALSO
fdisk(8), mkfs(8), The parted program is fully documented in the info(1) format GNU partitioning software manual which is distributed with the parted-doc Debian package. AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Timshel Knoll <timshel@debian.org>, for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). parted 2007 March 29 PARTED(8)