Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Quantum tape drive
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Quantum tape drive Post 302608238 by samnyc on Friday 16th of March 2012 02:24:31 PM
Old 03-16-2012
Quantum tape drive

Hi,

Using Redhat 5.7. I have Quantum tape drive connected to the server. I am trying to install the Netbackup software. Just wondering how can I see the Quantum is connected to the server. is any command I run to see the tape drive is connected?

I used to work on Solaris, I used to do probe-scsi. But not sure how to do it on Linux. It's connected using fiber.

Thanks.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

type of tape drive

Hello Expert, I'm new from unix I just want to ask how to check what particullar tape drive installed on my SUN Ultra 450. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eykyn17
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tape drive

Hi, I need to restore my tape backup, when I type "tape status" it gives; status : ready beginning-of-tape write-protected soft errors : 0 hard errors : 0 underruns : 3 but... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alisevA3
4 Replies

3. AIX

Tape Drive

I have tape drive in one Lpar. when i saw that time tape is in defined state. After that i deleted the tape drive using the rmdev -R command. Then fired the cfgmgr -v command. But I am not getting the tape drive. Now the drive is even not in defined state also. It is not shown the tape drive. How... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
1 Replies

4. AIX

Tape Drive Problem.

Dear all, I have ultriam3 tape. It is connected my LPAR. I have that the Sl.Nos. and slot number. but run the cfmgr i am not getting the tape drive. I have fired the command lsdev -Cc tape but no reply. how will i configure the tape in LPAR? Please suggest. It is very urgent. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pernasivam
3 Replies

5. AIX

Tape drive defined

Hello everyone I have a problem with one of my drives in an aix box. The library is a 3583 and Aix is 5.3 TL9 The problem was that the fibre channel not work and I change the fibre but when I logging to the aix box I got this in the rmt3 lsdev | grep rmt rmt0 Available 03-08-00-6,0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lo-lp-kl
4 Replies

6. SCO

Tape Drive Configuration

Dear All, I have a tape drive which has worked for offer 3yrs properly on SCO Openserver Release = 3.2v5.0.5. I tried to clean it all invain. I did a fresh installation of unix of the same OS and did the configuration still didn't bear fruits. The tape is a scsi and the configuration is as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: njoroge
4 Replies

7. Solaris

Help with tape drive

Hey folks, Linux admin here, forced to use Opensolaris to try to use ufsdump/ufsrestore to get some data of some old tapes. I've got Opensolaris 2009.06 on x86 and a Sony SDX-700V. As a "control" experiment, I booted the system with a Linux live CD and the tape drive worked perfectly. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eddy_sysad
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

TAPE drive

I have used ioscan -fnC tape and the system identified the tape drive. what is the command to show a listing of what is on the tape? I have used ls /dev/rmt/rmt0 to no avail. can anyone help? Thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Randydog
10 Replies
SCSITAPE(1)						      General Commands Manual						       SCSITAPE(1)

NAME
scsitape - control SCSI tape devices SYNOPSIS
scsitape [-f <scsi-generic-device>] commands DESCRIPTION
The scsitape command controls SCSI tape drives in a platform-independent manner. As long as 'mtx' works on the platform, so does 'scsi- tape'. Note that 'scsitape' and your OS's native tape driver may stomp on each other. In particular, if you use 'setblk' and your OS's native tape driver has a different notion of the block size, you may get evil results. It is recommended to use 'scsitape' only for software where you've written your own low-level READ and WRITE routines that use the SCSI command set to directly talk to tape drives (i.e., you do not use the OS's native tape driver at all). OPTIONS
The first argument, given following -f , is the SCSI generic device corresponding to your tape drive. Consult your operating system's doc- umentation for more information (for example, under Linux these are generally /dev/sg0 through /dev/sg15, under FreeBSD these are /dev/pass0 through /dev/passX. Under Solaris this is usually the same as your tape drive (Solaris has a SCSI passthrough ioctl). You can set the STAPE or TAPE environment variable rather than use -f. COMMANDS
setblk <n> Set the tape drive's SCSI block size to <n> bytes. (NOTE: if you are using your OS's native tape driver, THIS IS EVIL!). fsf <n> Go forward by <n> tapemarks. bsf <n> Go to immediately previous the <n>th previous tapemark. (WARNING: This probably doesn't do what you expect -- e.g. if you are immediately after a tapemark and type 'bfs 1', it moves to immediately *before* that tape mark, for a sum total of zero effective movement!). eod Go to end of data. rewind Rewind the tape drive. eject Eject the tape currently in the drive. erase Does a *short* erase (warning: does NOT work on all drives!). mark <n> write <n> filemarks ( 'mark 0' flushes the drive's buffers ). seek <n> Seek to a logical position <n> that was reported by a previous 'tapeinfo' command. write <blocksize> write blocks from stdin to the tape. Chunk the data into <blocksize>-sized chunks. *DOES NOT WRITE OUT A TAPEMARK!* (you will need to use a subsequent mark 1 command to write out a tape mark). read [<blocksize>] [ <#blocks/#bytes> ] read blocks from the tape, write them to stdout. If we are in variable block mode, <blocksize> should be zero (note: The maximum block size we currently support in variable block mode is 128K, MAX_READ_SIZE will need to be turned into a settable variable to allow bigger reads). If <blocksize> is ommitted, we assume that we're in variable block mode, and that we are going to read from tape until we hit a tapemark or end of partition or end of tape. AUTHORS
This program was written by Eric Lee Green <eric@badtux.org>. Major portions of the 'mtxl.c' library used herein were written by Leonard Zubkoff. The SCSI read and write routines are based upon those that Richard Fish wrote for Enhanced Software Technology's BRU 16.1 product, substan- tially modified to work in our particular environment (in particular, all the variable block stuff is new since BRU only does fixed block reads and writes, and the BRU code uses bitmasks rather than bitfields for the various flags and such in return values, as well as the BRU code having a different SCSI API and having variable names considerably shorter than the rather sesquipedalian 'mtx' identifiers). As required by 'mtxl.c', these routines are licensed under the GNU General Public License. HINTS
Under Linux, cat /proc/scsi/scsi will tell you what SCSI devices you have. You can then refer to them as /dev/sga, /dev/sgb, etc. by the order they are reported. Under FreeBSD, camcontrol devlist will tell you what SCSI devices you have, along with which pass device controls them. Under Solaris 7 and 8, /usr/sbin/devfsadm -C will clean up your /devices directory. Then find /devices -name 'st@*' -print will return a list of all tape drives. /dev on Solaris is apparently only of historical interest. BUGS AND LIMITATIONS
for scsitape read 0 <n> where you are doing variable-block-size reads and wish for <n> bytes, it instead reads one and exactly one block from tape and prints that (no matter what its size). Use 'dd' on the output of scsitape if you want finer control. scsitape read 0 attempts reads of MAX_READ_SIZE, which is currently 128K. If blocks on tape are larger than 128K, only the first 128K will be read -- the remainder will be silently dumped in the toilet. This program does not interact well (or at all :-) with your OS's native tape driver. You will likely see weird things happen if you attempt to intermingle scsitape commands with native tape driver operations. Note that BRU 16.1 for Solaris (and possibly others, but Solaris I know about) will have a 'scsi' keyword to bypass the native tape driver and write via direct uscsi commands, so if you use 'scsi- tape' to bypass the flaws of the native Solaris driver, you can use BRU 16.1 to write your actual tape archives. (Assuming that BRU 16.1 has been released at the time that you read this). AVAILABILITY
This version of scsitape is currently being maintained by Robert Nelson <robertnelson@users.sourceforge.net> as part of the 'mtx' suite of programs. The 'mtx' home page is http://mtx.sourceforge.net and the actual code is currently available there and via SVN from http://sourceforge.net/projects/mtx. SEE ALSO
loaderinfo(1),tapeinfo(1),mtx(1) SCSITAPE1.0 SCSITAPE(1)