Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Count occurrences in awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Count occurrences in awk Post 302607077 by ikke008 on Tuesday 13th of March 2012 01:35:53 PM
Old 03-13-2012
Because it'spart of a bigger awk script, and I need it in arrays.
I also want a nice output file.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

count occurrences and substitute with counter

Hi Unix-Experts, I have a textfile with several occurrences of some string XXX. I'd like to count all the occurrences and number them in reverse order. E.g. input: XXX bla XXX foo XXX output: 3 bla 2 foo 1 I tried to achieve this with sed, but failed. Any suggestions? Thanks in... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ptob
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count the number of occurrences of the word

I am a newbie in UNIX shell script and seeking help on this UNIX function. Please give me a hand. Thanks. I have a large file. Named as 'MyFile'. It was tab-delmited. I am told to write a shell function that counts the number of occurrences of the ord “mysring” in the file 'MyFile'. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: duke0001
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Unix and Awk to count number of occurrences

Hi, I have a file (movies.sh), this file contains list of movies such as I want to redirect the movies from movies.sh to file_to_process to allow me process the file with out losing anything. I have tried Movies.sh >> file_to_process But I want to add the row number to the data... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: INHF
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to count word occurrences, but exclude some?

I am trying to count the occurrences of ALL words in a file. However, I want to exclude certain words: short words (i.e. <3 chars), and words contained in an blacklist file. There is also a desire to count words that are capitalized (e.g. proper names). I am not 100% sure where the line on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cronk
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to count occurrences in a specific column

Hi, I need help to count the number of occurrences in $3 of file1.txt. I only know how to count by checking one by one and the code is like this: awk '$3 ~ /aku hanya poyo/ {++c} END {print c}' FS="\t" file1.txt But this is not wise to do as i have hundreds of different occurrences in that... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: redse171
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk Group By and count string occurrences

Hi Gurus, I'm scratching my head over and over and couldn't find the the right way to compose this AWK properly - PLEASE HELP :confused: Input: c,d,e,CLICK a,b,c,CLICK a,b,c,CONV c,d,e,CLICK a,b,c,CLICK a,b,c,CLICK a,b,c,CONV b,c,d,CLICK c,d,e,CLICK c,d,e,CLICK b,c,d,CONV... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Royi
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Speed : awk command to count the occurrences of fields from one file present in the other file

Hi, file1.txt AAA BBB CCC DDD file2.txt abc|AAA|AAAabcbcs|fnwufnq bca|nwruqf|AAA|fwfwwefwef fmimwe|BBB|fnqwufw|wufbqw wcdbi|CCC|wefnwin|wfwwf DDD|wabvfav|wqef|fwbwqfwfe i need the count of rows of file1.txt present in the file2.txt required output: AAA 2 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: mdkm
10 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count occurrences in first column

input amex-11 10 abc amex-11 20 bcn amed-12 1 abc I tried something like this. awk '{h++}; END { for(k in h) print k, h }' rm1 output amex-11 1 10 abc amex-11 1 20 bcn amed-12 2 1 abc Note: The second column represents the occurrences. amex-11 is first one and amed-12 is the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk or sed script to count number of occurrences and creating an average

Hi Friends , I am having one problem as stated file . Having an input CSV file as shown in the code U_TOP_LOGIC/U_HPB2/U_HBRIDGE2/i_core/i_paddr_reg_2_/Q,1,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,1,1,0,0,0,0... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
4 Replies
IGAWK(1)							 Utility Commands							  IGAWK(1)

NAME
igawk - gawk with include files SYNOPSIS
igawk [ all gawk options ] -f program-file [ -- ] file ... igawk [ all gawk options ] [ -- ] program-text file ... DESCRIPTION
Igawk is a simple shell script that adds the ability to have ``include files'' to gawk(1). AWK programs for igawk are the same as for gawk, except that, in addition, you may have lines like @include getopt.awk in your program to include the file getopt.awk from either the current directory or one of the other directories in the search path. OPTIONS
See gawk(1) for a full description of the AWK language and the options that gawk supports. EXAMPLES
cat << EOF > test.awk @include getopt.awk BEGIN { while (getopt(ARGC, ARGV, "am:q") != -1) ... } EOF igawk -f test.awk SEE ALSO
gawk(1) Effective AWK Programming, Edition 1.0, published by the Free Software Foundation, 1995. AUTHOR
Arnold Robbins (arnold@skeeve.com). Free Software Foundation Nov 3 1999 IGAWK(1)