Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? Idea: selling Puppy Linux flash drives Post 302605977 by figaro on Friday 9th of March 2012 08:26:30 AM
Old 03-09-2012
We have been doing exactly that for the last 5 years. In reality, typical end users are not going to delve into something where there is only anecdotal evidence that it will make their lives much easier. Their questions are always the same: Can I use MS Excel? Can I still edit my document and distribute it as MS Word? Can I browse the internet with all my bookmarks?
Even if that flash drive you have given to them is right beside them, it will remain unused for the large majority of recipients. The distro would have to look very much like XP or Win7, and that would be a very basic requirement. To state that their aging laptop will suddenly become blazingly fast after inserting this flash drive is just not good enough of a reason.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how floppy disks, CDs and flash drives (pen drives) are accessed in UNIX

hi how floppy disks, CDs and flash drives (pen drives) are accessed in UNIX? thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nokia1100
0 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

USB Flash Drives

Can Solaris/any GNU/Linux distros/ any flavor of FreeBSD be booted, right from aUSB flash drive? Mine's the one pictured here. SanDisk | Products | USB Flash Drives | SanDisk CruzerŽ Titanium Plus USB Flash Drive Also, on a completely unrelated note (just so I don't have to fill up forum... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: led3234
4 Replies

3. Linux

puppy linux

i used puppylinux(only 95mb) good OS.i have some doubts raised 1.)how a bootable drive is different from a unbootable drive(drive=a harddisk or pendrive or a cd etc..)? 2.)how puppylinux is able to play sounds without audiodriver installation (which is needed in windows)? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: villanarun
2 Replies

4. Linux

Puppy Linux

Does anyone have installed Puppy Linux on a formatted hard disk without any partition? I have just gotten the cd iso live but I do not know howto install it permanently. :confused: Someone can help me? Thank you (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sergio_italy
0 Replies

5. Solaris

Does Solaris Volume Manager support USB flash drives?

I would like to mirror or stripe across multiple USB flash drives on a Sun Blade 100 workstation running Solaris 10. Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoda9999
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Script to Detect and List USB Flash Drives

Hello. This is my first post to this forum. I've read many of the posts over the last two or three years and I've learned a lot. I'm creating a live Linux distribution using the Linux Live Scripts -- just as a hobby project -- and I'm wanting to create an automated way for a user to copy the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: godzillarama
7 Replies

7. Red Hat

Is overlapping two RAID5 arrays on same drives a bad idea ??

is placing two RAID5 arrays on disk as shown below Is advisable? Will this create performance problems? sda-(500GB) sdb-(1TB) sdc-(1TB) sdd-(1TB) (250MB)----------(250MB) ---------unused------------unused------->(/dev/md0) RAID1 ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saed
6 Replies
curs_beep(3CURSES)                                           Curses Library Functions                                           curs_beep(3CURSES)

NAME
curs_beep, beep, flash - curses bell and screen flash routines SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag ... ] file ... -lcurses [ library ... ] #include <curses.h> int beep(void); int flash(void); DESCRIPTION
The beep() and flash() routines are used to signal the terminal user. The routine beep() sounds the audible alarm on the terminal, if pos- sible; if that is not possible, it flashes the screen (visible bell), if that is possible. The routine flash() flashes the screen, and if that is not possible, sounds the audible signal. If neither signal is possible, nothing happens. Nearly all terminals have an audible sig- nal (bell or beep), but only some can flash the screen. RETURN VALUES
These routines always return OK. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
curses(3CURSES), attributes(5) NOTES
The header <curses.h> automatically includes the headers <stdio.h> and <unctrl.h>. SunOS 5.10 31 Dec 1996 curs_beep(3CURSES)