Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Number of word occurences in a file? Post 302604139 by balajesuri on Saturday 3rd of March 2012 09:30:32 AM
Old 03-03-2012
Code:
perl -lne '$i++ while(/\bWORD\b/g);END{print $i}' inputfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

number of occurences of a string

hi, I have a file where i need to count the occurences of a string ex) 'welcome to unix forum'. can anybody help me out (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: siddu_chittari
12 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Counting number of occurences

Hi All, I have to count the number of occurences of the character " ; " in a given line. I had used the following awk command to achieve the same echo $KOP.dat|awk '{split($1,my,";"); for(i in my)c++ }END{print c-1}' My file KOP.dat had the following data ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kingofprussia
1 Replies

3. Web Development

How to find all occurences of word?

Hi, For example lets consider i have word like this:cell I have some text that is stored in table. These are few sentences. TRAP also regulates translation of trpE by promoting formation of an cell. In addition initiation of pabA, trpP and ycbK by directly blocking cells. I... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

no of occurences of q word

hi I hace a string "abc,def,ghi,abc,def ,ghi,abc,def,ghi,abc,def ,ghi,abc" i replaced commas with spaces, now i want to calculate nof occurences of "abc" word. thanks in advance Satya (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satyak
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to count the occurences of a specific word in a file in bash shell

Hello, I want to count the occurences of a specific word in a .txt file in bash shell. Can somebody help me pleaze?? Thanks!!! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mskart
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

counting the number of occurences

say i've got a text file with >10million sequences: ssss ssss tttttt uuuuuu uuuuuu uuuuuu ... I'd like to convert the file so that the output will report the number of occurence right by each sequence: 2 ssss 2 ssss 1 tttttt 3 uuuuuu 3 uuuuuu 3 uuuuuu .... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: johjoh
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Count number of occurences of a word

I want to count the number of occurences of say "200" in a file but that file also contains various stuff including dtaes like 2007 or smtg like 200.1 so count i am getting by doing grep -c "word" file is wrong Please help!!!!! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: shikhakaul
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sort the file based on number of occurences

I have a file (input) I want to sort the file based on the number of times a pattern in the first column occurs for example grapes occurs 4 times in combination with other patterns so i want it to be first like shown in the output file. then apple ocuurs thrice so it occupies second position and so... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: anurupa777
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number of Consecutive Occurences

:b: Hi Folks, I have a requirement to find the number of consecutive occurences based on month. Here is the below sample of my requirement. I have say four columns CARUSERNAME BRAND_CODE MONTH YEAR Below is sample Data John|C|JAN|2013 Tim|C|FEB|2013 Tom|C|Mar|2013 Ron|C|Apr|2013... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinesh1985
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Count occurences of the word without it repeating

Hi, I would like to count the number of ALA occurences without having them to be repeated. In the script I have written now it has 40 repetitions of ALA but it has to be 8. ALA is chosen as one of the 20 values it can have when the script asks for the input of AAA, which for this example is chosen... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Aurimas
7 Replies
textutil::repeat(n)				    Text and string utilities, macro processing 			       textutil::repeat(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
textutil::repeat - Procedures to repeat strings. SYNOPSIS
package require Tcl 8.2 package require textutil::repeat ?0.7? ::textutil::repeat::strRepeat text num ::textutil::repeat::blank num _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The package textutil::repeat provides commands to generate long strings by repeating a shorter string many times. The complete set of procedures is described below. ::textutil::repeat::strRepeat text num This command returns a string containing the text repeated num times. The repetitions are joined without characters between them. A value of num <= 0 causes the command to return an empty string. Note: If the Tcl core the package is loaded in provides the command string repeat then this command will be implemented in its terms, for maximum possible speed. Otherwise a fast implementation in Tcl will be used. ::textutil::repeat::blank num A convenience command. Returns a string of num spaces. BUGS, IDEAS, FEEDBACK This document, and the package it describes, will undoubtedly contain bugs and other problems. Please report such in the category textutil of the Tcllib SF Trackers [http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=12883]. Please also report any ideas for enhancements you may have for either package and/or documentation. SEE ALSO
regexp(n), split(n), string(n) KEYWORDS
blanks, repetition, string CATEGORY
Text processing textutil 0.7.1 textutil::repeat(n)