Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting one line command to change mode only if necessary Post 302603594 by ysrini on Thursday 1st of March 2012 12:22:36 PM
Old 03-01-2012
Data

Thanks tukuyomi,
i tried and get this error on hp-ux 11.11 box
cm.sh[3]: stat: not found.
cm.sh[3]: test: Specify a parameter with this command.

We don't have stat,fstat or lstat available !!!

Thanks,
-srinivas

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change the GRUB command line to graphical interface?

Hi, I am i new Unix linux user. I've installed the linux 9 and i uninstall it. the first time i install the linux, the GRUB show the graphical interface. But after i reinstall it again, the GRUB change to command line. I can't boot my comp now. What should I do? And i don't know how to deal with... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lee_chongeu
1 Replies

2. Linux

How change GRUB command line to graphical interface?

Hi, I am i new Unix linux user. I've installed the linux 9 and i uninstall it. the first time i install the linux, the GRUB show the graphical interface. But after i reinstall it again, the GRUB change to command line. I can't boot my comp now. What should I do? And i don't know how to deal with... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lee_chongeu
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I change IP addresses in command mode...

How do I change IP addresses in command mode? i need to assign custom (non DHCP) addresses from the command line. Actually I also need to know how to change the subnet mask, the gateway and the primary, secondary, ... dns servers. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Super.Anyak
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Insert line break in vi's command mode

Hi, When working in vi, the CTRL+j command for merging lines is very convenient. Is there an equivalent for splitting them (inserting a line break)? I often find myself pressing "i" + "return" + "esc", which I find a bit lengthy. Thanks in advance! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Skogsmulle
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to change size of command line in unix

Hi, I'm trying to execute my program from $prompt by passing many parameters which is more than 300 charecters in line but unix not accepting those many charecters, could some one help me how to increase the size? thanks (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: krishna
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed command to change end of line

I am looking to change a data file into a javascript string and this is the code that I am using: sed -i '' -e 's/^/str += "/' -e 's/$/";/' file.xml The first part -e 's/^/str += "/' works as intended, but the second part -e 's/$/";/' adds an additional newline to my file, so that instead of... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: figaro
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change filename extensions..from command line

I want to change the extensions of a folder full of files (some of the files are located in subfolders as well) to another extension, but instead of replacing the files I want the new files to be copied into a newly created folder. Here is the folder structure: /Downloads/3eb... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bound4h
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

What is the difference between single line mode and multiline mode in Regular expressions?

Hi All, Can please let me know what is the difference between the single line mode and multi line mode in regular expresions? Thanks, Chidhambaram B (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidhu.anu
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change the background color in the init 3 mode(not line color)

Hello, I am using RHEL 6.1 on VMware I am searching for a way to change background color (not line by line color wich one can using tput command) basically changing the color of the whole screen to white instead of the default black and changing font color to black and alos would like to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Dexobox
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

How to start Fedora 11 in command line mode and skip damaged programs ??

Hi All, Please let me know that how to start Fedora 11 in command line mode and skip damaged programs ?? Scenario being: I have Fedora 11 ( pretty ole... eh !! ). If I try to start the PC , then after some steps of startup... it just hangs and does not boots. I tried entering the mode... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dipanchandra
4 Replies
CHMOD(1)						      General Commands Manual							  CHMOD(1)

NAME
chmod - change mode SYNOPSIS
chmod [ -Rf ] mode file ... DESCRIPTION
The mode of each named file is changed according to mode, which may be absolute or symbolic. An absolute mode is an octal number con- structed from the OR of the following modes: 4000 set user ID on execution 2000 set group ID on execution 1000 sticky bit, see chmod(2) 0400 read by owner 0200 write by owner 0100 execute (search in directory) by owner 0070 read, write, execute (search) by group 0007 read, write, execute (search) by others A symbolic mode has the form: [who] op permission [op permission] ... The who part is a combination of the letters u (for user's permissions), g (group) and o (other). The letter a stands for all, or ugo. If who is omitted, the default is a but the setting of the file creation mask (see umask(2)) is taken into account. Op can be + to add permission to the file's mode, - to take away permission and = to assign permission absolutely (all other bits will be reset). Permission is any combination of the letters r (read), w (write), x (execute), X (set execute only if file is a directory or some other execute bit is set), s (set owner or group id) and t (save text - sticky). Letters u, g, or o indicate that permission is to be taken from the current mode. Omitting permission is only useful with = to take away all permissions. When the -R option is given, chmod recursively descends its directory arguments setting the mode for each file as described above. When symbolic links are encountered, their mode is not changed and they are not traversed. If the -f option is given, chmod will not complain if it fails to change the mode on a file. EXAMPLES
The first example denies write permission to others, the second makes a file executable by all if it is executable by anyone: chmod o-w file chmod +X file Multiple symbolic modes separated by commas may be given. Operations are performed in the order specified. The letter s is only useful with u or g. Only the owner of a file (or the super-user) may change its mode. SEE ALSO
ls(1), chmod(2), stat(2), umask(2), chown(8) 7th Edition May 22, 1986 CHMOD(1)