Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting What does this do (newbie question)... Post 302601496 by methyl on Thursday 23rd of February 2012 08:10:35 PM
Old 02-23-2012
@elohssa
Quote:
ls *.txt | grep text1 | cat file1 – file2 | `echo wc –l`
This code does nothing useful and gives syntax errors.

Code:
ls *.txt | grep Text | cat - file1 file2 | wc -l
ls *.txt | grep Text | cat file1 - file2 | wc -l

Both of these are very dubious code. They both count the number of lines in file1 and file2 and then add the number of filenames which contain the string "Text". The number of lines in the files whose names contain the word "Text" is ignored.

It always helps to post what Operating System and version you are using and what Shell you prefer. It also helps to explain what you expect from the script.

Ps: A variant which totals the number of lines in a file whose name contains the string "Text" added to the number of lines in file1 and file2 would be:
Code:
cat file1 file2 `ls *Text*` | wc -l

Last edited by methyl; 02-23-2012 at 09:15 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newbie question

hi im thinking of getting unix but i have no idea where to start I know that its an OS similar to linux but what hardware does in run on? i've heard of solaris but im not quit sure what it is thankxs (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ninja
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie Question

Hi, I have a file, that is delimited by :: and the purpose of this file is none of your business. ;) There are about 65000 lines in this file, and there are lines that I would like to remove. About 45000 of them. Is there some sort of commands that I can run, to remove word(s) from this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: th3gh05t
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie question

Hello, I have text file while looks this test1 test2 test3 test4 test5 test6 and if I want to parse it and make new file which would like this test1 test2 test3 test4 test5 test6 How can I do this in korn shell script Thanks (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: peeyush_23
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Very new newbie question

sorry if im not asking inthe right spot but, how do you turn the beeping off every time you hit a key onthe keyboard. I tried the click -n but it told me it didnt recognize click any help would be greatly appreciated ( the beeping is not going over well in the surrounding cubicles) thank you... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Split100
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newbie question

I am taking a db classes toward oracle 10g. I am taking unix as well . I need to know what is the best option for os . should I use linux fedora. or get a sun box and start learning from there. Thanks (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: xzyan
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Newbie question?

What is the best way to learn UNIX on the web, with out buying books? any link would be much help. Thank you in advance, L (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lsoria1
1 Replies

7. Programming

Newbie question

Dear all, I have a question related to parallel programing and if you can give me some hints on how to deal with it, it would be really great. I would like to run a small application on a supercompter of 128 CPUs. Unfortunately, on this machine only jobs which require 32 CPUs are allowed to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Eduard
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX newbie NEWBIE question!

Hello everyone, Just started UNIX today! In our school we use solaris. I just want to know how do I setup Solaris 10 not the GUI one, the one where you have to type the commands like ECHO, ls, pwd, etc... I have windows xp and I also have vmware. I hope I am not missing anything! :p (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanamachi
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl newbie . &&..programming newbie (question 2)

Hello everyone, I am having to do a lot of perl scripting these days and I am learning a lot. I have this problem I want to move files from a folder and all its sub folders to one parent folder, they are all .gz files.. there is folder1\folder2\*.gz and there are about 50 folders... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: xytiz
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newbie question

Hi all, I am sure this is very simple but I cant quite get it. I am trying to search textfile1.txt for a string then take the results of the search and append the result to textfile3.txt So far I have used $ find file1.txt -exec grep "string i am looking for" '{}' \; -print this... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radgator
2 Replies
merge(1)						      General Commands Manual							  merge(1)

NAME
merge - three-way file merge SYNOPSIS
file1 file2 file3 DESCRIPTION
combines two files that are revisions of a single original file. The original file is file2, and the revised files are file1 and file3. identifies all changes that lead from file2 to file3 and from file2 to file1, then deposits the merged text into file1. If the option is used, the result goes to standard output instead of file1. An overlap occurs if both file1 and file3 have changes in the same place. prints how many overlaps occurred, and includes both alterna- tives in the result. The alternatives are delimited as follows: lines in file1 lines in file3 If there are overlaps, edit the result in file1 and delete one of the alternatives. This command is particularly useful for revision control, especially if file1 and file3 are the ends of two branches that have file2 as a common ancestor. EXAMPLES
A typical use for is as follows: 1. To merge an RCS branch into the trunk, first check out the three different versions from RCS (see co(1)) and rename them for their revision numbers: 5.2, 5.11, and 5.2.3.3. File 5.2.3.3 is the end of an RCS branch that split off the trunk at file 5.2. 2. For this example, assume file 5.11 is the latest version on the trunk, and is also a revision of the "original" file, 5.2. Merge the branch into the trunk with the command: 3. File 5.11 now contains all changes made on the branch and the trunk, and has markings in the file to show all overlapping changes. 4. Edit file 5.11 to correct the overlaps, then use the command to check the file back in (see ci(1)). WARNINGS
uses the ed(1) system editor. Therefore, the file size limits of ed(1) apply to AUTHOR
was developed by Walter F. Tichy. SEE ALSO
diff3(1), diff(1), rcsmerge(1), co(1). merge(1)